What Is Jake Long Worth To You? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Is Jake Long Worth To You?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Would you trade left tackle Jake Long to the St. Louis Rams for a first round draft pick next season? Would you trade him to any needy team for a first round draft pick? The Dolphins will have to decide if Jake Long is worth the price he will command on his next contract. They will have to determine that very very soon.
Long is entering the final year of his rookie contract after voiding a sixth season that was reached on incentives. It has been reported that Long wants to become the richest left tackle in the league and whether it’s the Miami Dolphins or someone else, he will be. Last season Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas received a huge 50 million dollar plus deal with over 30 million guaranteed if memory serves. At minimum that is what you can expect for Jake Long.
Read more:http://phinphanatic.com/2012/04/02/what-is-jake-long-worth-to-you/

He's had some injuries, so I expect the fanchise tag next year.

Jake Long can go blow a goat. Spend top dollar on a QB please.

Name me a team that has won the Super Bowl with an elite left tackle?

Thomas,Long,Clady,Groos,Roos,Peters,Ferguson,McNeil,Light,Penn,Whitworth,
Free,Okung,Backus...

Draft his replacement an trade him this season for draft picks

Name me a team that has won the Super Bowl with an elite left tackle?

Thomas,Long,Clady,Groos,Roos,Peters,Ferguson,McNeil,Light,Penn,Whitworth,
Free,Okung,Backus...

Draft his replacement an trade him this season for draft picks

Agreed......no non-skill player is worth what he gets paid. I would take a first rounder for him.

It depends on his health. For the last season and a half he simply hasn't been an elite LT - he's been good but not great. On that form he's not worth the money

At his best though he's a huge asset

We all know left tackle isn't the most important position on the field - that would be QB by a long way

But left tackle might be the second most important. Simple logic really. With QB being so important then the next most important is the guy who has the biggest responsibility to protect your QB (if we had one). Plus a left tackle who is a dominant run blocker is a huge asset especially in the red zone

If Miami knew what they were doing, they'd take a rebuilding team's 1st rounder in a heartbeat in exchange for damaged goods rather than sinking that much money into a position that isn't worth it.

Then again, if Miami knew what they were doing.... he wouldn't have been the #1 pick to begin with.

Making that type of investment in a left tackle 4 years ago is what set the franchise up to experience all of the subsequent success. A bunch of losing seasons.

The two best left tackles in the league have a combined 49 wins over the past 4 seasons. Matt Ryan has 43.

The two best left tackles in the league have gone through a combined 5 head coaches in the past 4 years, with 3 of them being fired. The other two haven't coached a game yet, but it don't look good for them either.

If Joe Philbin is forced to hitch his wagon to the left tackle position also, he'll end up just like the rest of 'em.

Have a franchise QB and not have someone protect his blind side?? All of you are high if you think trading him or low balling him is a good idea. He will get a 6 yr 75 mil deal with 30 guaranteed, team will make it cap friendly the first few years until the cap amount grows

Yes, you sink that kind of top dollar into an elite LT like Long if you have a stud QB and are on the verge of something special. Someone has to block Mario Williams.

But no, you don't break the bank for a LT when you don't have the other pieces around him on the offense to make him worth the money or help score a lot of points. If you are rebuilding, then rebuild....through the draft! Get a high pick for him and move forward.

I love Big Jake, but he has to be realistic with his demands. He was injured last year and didn't play all that well. If he comes back with a great season this year (injury free) then i might reconsider, especially if a young QB like Tannehill is in the mix. You don't want to get a young QB killed and ruin his career ala David Carr.

Back
Top Bottom