What Is Jake Long Worth To You? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Is Jake Long Worth To You?

Creating more holes to fill is the way to go, according to Jeff Ireland.

Name me a team that has won the Super Bowl with an elite left tackle? Thomas,Long,Clady,Groos,Roos,Peters,Ferguson,McNeil,Light,Penn,Whitworth, Free,Okung,Backus... Draft his replacement an trade him this season for draft picks
I actually posted a thread about this, we should trade him (preferably for a 1st) and draft his replacement. Only problem is a large segment of fan-base will seize on this like Marshall trade, despite fact he's over-payed and its not even a given he really helps us to win.

Thomas(first round, 3rd overall pick),
Long(first round, 1st overall pick),
Clady(first round, 12th overall pick),
Groos(Jordan Gross? first round, 8th overall pick),
Roos(second round, 41st overall pick),
Peters(UDFA, but cost the Eagles a first round, 28th overall pick, plus change) ,
Ferguson(first round, 4th overall pick),
McNeil(second round, 50th overall pick, and probably retiring),
Light(second round, 48th overall pick),
Penn(UDFA),
Whitworth(second round pick, 55th overall),
Free(no longer a left tackle, but 4th rounder, though his replacement was a first round pick, 9th overall)
Okung(first round, 6th overall pick),
Backus...

Draft his replacement an trade him this season for draft picks

Listed the draft position of everyone but Jeff "let me see how many times i can get Matt Stafford injured" Backus....although he was the 18th overall pick in his draft.
With the overwhelming majority of those players costing a first or second round pick, why in gods name should we draft one when we already have one on the team that we spent a first round pick on?

What is everyones obsession with getting rid of our good players? And why should we shrimp on Jake Longs contract? Its not like we need to save the money, we cant even kidnap free agents to Miami.
Doesnt matter if he should or shouldnt have been drafted, he is here now. Resign him, actually open up some cap room, and move on. This "lets cut them because they got paid money then burn a first round pick on his replacement" hasnt worked in 5 years. Its not going to start working now.

Last I looked, of the 08 top 20 selections, 18th pick Joe Flacco had more PO appearances(4)... and 5 more playoff wins than any of his peers with the exception of the Pats' DB Mayo (2 wins this season). Guess trading down around there to preempt the Ravens and picking up another pick would have been the way to go. (hmmmm, "Brandon Weeden"
scratchchin-1.gif
)

JAKE LONG has the ability to make a average quarterback look a little better (Moore), and a good quarterback look Great. He is an excellent blocker that needs to be kept around for any QB prospect we bring in. What other LT would you want to stick a young QB behind?! Not many Joe's and Jake's out there for the picking.

Pay him what he is worth...and that is the top 2 in the league at his position.

I agree with Slimm. Long is really not all that valuable. I'd trade him for a first rounder in a heartbeat but I doubt you could get that for him.

I mean, is anyone really going to say they noticed some huge drop off when John Jerry stepped in for him? I sure didn't. Schematic innovations on defense have rendered an elite left tackle as something of a Maginot Line, imo.

Name me a team that has won the Super Bowl with an elite left tackle?

Thomas,Long,Clady,Groos,Roos,Peters,Ferguson,McNeil,Light,Penn,Whitworth,
Free,Okung,Backus...

Draft his replacement an trade him this season for draft picks

'99 St Louis Rams - Orlando Pace was the cornerstone of the Greatest Show on Turf.

if he's healthy, you extend him, simple as that. The ability to neutralize an opposing team's best pass rusher is nothing to skimp at. Young QB's need all the help they can get, and unless you want whoever Miami's draft this April to end like up David Carr or 2009-2010 Matt Stafford you give the guy some protection. Especially with Mario Williams in the division now. Whoever is drafted will be cost controlled until 2016(if 1st round), which means there is more than enough money around to extend Big Jake.

Jake Long is a better LT than Matt Ryan is a QB. I understand Ryan plays the premium position, however, both guys have the same amount of play off wins.

Only if he's healthy.

Name me a team that has won the Super Bowl with an elite left tackle?

Ravens won it with Jonathan Ogden, and Rams won it with Orlando Pace. Two of the best left tackles of all time.

Trade our all pro left tackle cause we can replace him with later picks in the drafts or via free agency....you people are crazy! You don't trade your best player unless they are a cancer or you have a ready made replacement ready to step in. We don't have that and should not consider trading long...

i got a better question how many first round qb played good with and average left tackle

In the early seventies at the peak of Phins dynasty their best lineman were interior OL HOFers Langer, Kuechenberg (should be there), and Little. The takles were good Norm Evans RT and cant even recall who the LT was but dont think he was the best in the league.

I think we should definitely keep Long but dont think we can resign him and wake this year and I think wake will be resigned first and Long will get franchised next year cause of the contract he wants. To get it he will have to be pro bowler next two years.

If they're serious about building this team through the draft, take advantage of some sucker team that overrates the position and remains stuck in the 90's (and earlier). He would fetch a good return. Everyone is tradable, at the right price. Everyone.

i got a better question how many first round qb played good with and average left tackle
Just a quick search:

Eli Manning 2007 and 2011 -- David Diehl, 5th Rd.
Aaron Rodgers 2010 -- Chad Clifton, 2nd Rd., 44th pick
Drew Brees (technically a 2nd rounder) 2009 -- Jermon Bushrod, 4th Rd.
Ben Roethlisberger 2008 -- Max Starx, 3rd Rd.
Peyton Manning 2006 -- Tony Ugoh, 2nd Rd., 42nd pick, rookie starter

etc...

He hasn't been playing all pro status for over a year he shouldn't demand all pro money. In this case the juice is not worth the squeeze, I will take a 1st rounder for him.

Back
Top Bottom