What is your greatest draft day fear? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your greatest draft day fear?

My biggest fear would be.. being selected number 1 overall and going up on stage to shake hands with the commisoner and then realizing I have no pants on. My second biggst fear is that no matter what road the Dolphins take in the draft in a few years it will be viewed as the wrong choice. Pass on Tua and he becomes a Hall of Famer and your picks are out the league after their rookie deal. Or Draft Tua and he never recovers and Herbert and Love become future Pro Bowl qbs.

They already have two, more than adequate QBs? :lol:

This is one that many will struggle with.

Pro Football is a TEAM sport.

Just look at what Tannehill did with the Titans compared with what he did with the Dolphins...

or what the Eagles did with Nick Foles,

or what San Francisco did with Jimmy G........

or what the Dolphins did with David Woodley

or Bob Griese. :p

If the team sucks, it won't matter who the QB is.

If the team is GREAT, it makes the QB's job that much easier.

It is a TEAM sport, something many fans just don't grasp

This is one that many will struggle with.

Pro Football is a TEAM sport.

Just look at what Tannehill did with the Titans compared with what he did with the Dolphins...

or what the Eagles did with Nick Foles,

or what San Francisco did with Jimmy G........

or what the Dolphins did with David Woodley

or Bob Griese. :p

If the team sucks, it won't matter who the QB is.

If the team is GREAT, it makes the QB's job that much easier.

It is a TEAM sport, something many fans just don't grasp
What you don't seem to grasp, is the team could be great, but if you don't have a great QB it will get you nowhere. San Francisco had the superior team but still lost the Super Bowl because their QB couldn't make a play when they needed him to. Indianapolis has a Super Bowl contending roster but went 7-9 because Andrew Luck decided to retire. The Chicago Bears are loaded with talent and an innovative coaching staff, but can't get out of their own way because of Mitchell Trubiski. There has never been a time when the QB position has meant more. QB trumps everything else. You need to get that right or you will be in football purgatory.

They have no freaking QB and haven't for 20 years. That's why they haven't been consistently good. If Grier needs three first round picks to fix the offensive line and running back position then this franchise is in more trouble than I've could have ever imagined. Running back? Lol. San Francisco just rode an undrafted free agent running back that was cut by six different teams all the way to the Super Bowl. Running back is the easiest position on the whole roster to find production from.

Stop acting like all of the personnel issues need to be fixed in the first round of this year's draft. If Miami were to draft Tua this season and he turns into the type QB that many believe he can be, Miami's draft will have been a success if they actually did not get a single contribution from any other player they draft this year. Of course, not getting any kind of contribution from any other players selected or signed after the draft is ludicrous, but my point would still hold. If Tua turns into a franchise QB, regardless of what happens the rest of the draft, it would have to be considered a success. If you asked the Chiefs organization how they would evaluate their draft from three years ago if it only yielded Patrick Mahomes they would tell you it was an A+.

I don't think Tua will be a good QB if placed on the current Dolphins roster without serious help from the draft, so I don't think that solves the problem. Plenty of QB's bust when placed into the wrong situation.

I don't think Tua will be a good QB if placed on the current Dolphins roster without serious help from the draft, so I don't think that solves the problem. Plenty of QB's bust when placed into the wrong situation.
Why do you think this has to be an immediate fix? No one expects the roster to stay as it is. When you draft a QB, you have more than one season to build your roster around him. I just can't understand the thought process that leads to passing on a great QB prospect because you feel your team isn't good enough. That's such backward thinking.

Last edited:
Why do think this has to be an immediate fix? No one expects the roster to stay as it is. When you draft a QB, you have more than one season to build your roster around him. I just can't understand the thought process that leads to passing on a great QB prospect because you feel your team isn't good enough. That's such backward thinking.

I'm advocating not overpaying for a questionable QB in such a way that will prevent you from building the team. I know the fact of the matter is some believe ever since before the first preseason game last year that Tua was the answer at any cost. I just don't agree.

Why do think this has to be an immediate fix? No one expects the roster to stay as it is. When you draft a QB, you have more than one season to build your roster around him. I just can't understand the thought process that leads to passing on a great QB prospect because you feel your team isn't good enough. That's such backward thinking.

Agree. I am growing tired of this idea that it is either Draft Tua or fix the rest of the team. As if we will spend every draft pick to acquire one player.

We can do both.

Yes, if we need to trade up we will likely miss out on 2 players, but we will still have 10 more picks in the draft. I doubt we trade all 3 first round picks to move up, it would probably be a first and a second. We would STILL have more first and second round picks than we have had in years, not to mention all the other picks we have.

It's not draft Tua OR fix the team, its draft Tua AND fix the team.

Agree. I am growing tired of this idea that it is either Draft Tua or fix the rest of the team. As if we will spend every draft pick to acquire one player.

We can do both.

Yes, if we need to trade up we will likely miss out on 2 players, but we will still have 10 more picks in the draft. I doubt we trade all 3 first round picks to move up, it would probably be a first and a second. We would STILL have more first and second round picks than we have had in years, not to mention all the other picks we have.

It's not draft Tua OR fix the team, its draft Tua AND fix the team.

Or draft the QB Miami wants and fix the team

What you don't seem to grasp, is the team could be great, but if you don't have a great QB it will get you nowhere. San Francisco had the superior team but still lost the Super Bowl because their QB couldn't make a play when they needed him to. Indianapolis has a Super Bowl contending roster but went 7-9 because Andrew Luck decided to retire. The Chicago Bears are loaded with talent and an innovative coaching staff, but can't get out of their own way because of Mitchell Trubiski. There has never been a time when the QB position has meant more. QB trumps everything else. You need to get that right or you will be in football purgatory.
you mean the Andrew Luck who was a "generational talent" who never got his team to a Superbowl much less win it?

My biggest fear would be.. being selected number 1 overall and going up on stage to shake hands with the commisoner and then realizing I have no pants on. My second biggst fear is that no matter what road the Dolphins take in the draft in a few years it will be viewed as the wrong choice. Pass on Tua and he becomes a Hall of Famer and your picks are out the league after their rookie deal. Or Draft Tua and he never recovers and Herbert and Love become future Pro Bowl qbs.
I personally would rather draft Tua and have it not work out then pass on him and he becomes a Hall of Famer

you mean the Andrew Luck who was a "generational talent" who never got his team to a Superbowl much less win it?
Yeah, I mean the Andrew Luck that made Indianapolis a perennial playoff team and a potential Super Bowl contender until the day he retired and once he did, that team was suddenly sub .500

Back
Top Bottom