What is your greatest draft day fear? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your greatest draft day fear?

That Tua turns out to be just another Bama QB.

I personally would rather draft Tua and have it not work out then pass on him and he becomes a Hall of Famer

That assumes that Tua would have the same type of career in Miami that he would have had at another team. That's just not the way it works. I don't think we would be able to setup a fragile QB for success who has only ever played with talent superior to his opponent surrounding him. Put him on a team that can protect him, has a sound system, an identity, and players surrounding him? Yeah, he'll be pretty good. But we're a long way from those things, and it's gonna take more than a few mid-round picks to restock this roster after the team jettisoned any NFL caliber talent at every position save for WR.

How would you quantify overpaying? Do you believe the Bengals should draft Joe Burrow with the #1 overall pick? Most people believe it's a no brainer. By your logic they shouldn't because they are such a bad team and they have so many holes to fill they should trade the pick to get way more draft picks so they can fill those holes. They were a worse team than Miami so they should have as many holes as Miami, right? I think it would be crazy for Cincinnati to pass on a QB staring them right in the face with such a glaring need at the position. Miami also has a glaring need at the position. Let me put this in perspective for you. Miami could trade away all three of their first round picks and one of their second round picks this year and they would still have three more picks than the Bengals have in their entire draft to help rebuild their roster.

I don't think Cincy has that many holes to fill. I think their problem has to do with injuries, coaching, and playing a non-starting caliber QB for a stretch. Cincy could have a very quick turnaround. Their talent level is vastly different than ours despite the difference in records.

I just don't think people process that the dearth of talent on this team is almost unprecedented for a non-expansion team. You can't compare our roster to any other team in the league.

That assumes that Tua would have the same type of career in Miami that he would have had at another team. That's just not the way it works. I don't think we would be able to setup a fragile QB for success who has only ever played with talent superior to his opponent surrounding him. Put him on a team that can protect him, has a sound system, an identity, and players surrounding him? Yeah, he'll be pretty good. But we're a long way from those things, and it's gonna take more than a few mid-round picks to restock this roster after the team jettisoned any NFL caliber talent at every position save for WR.
I believe we can set him up by next year. If we can’t with all the picks and cap room we are ****ed if we drafted Joe Montana.i see your point but we should be able to secure protection in two years but after all it is the Dolphins we are talking about

Stockpiling those picks was done exactly for this scenario. They wanted the resources available in case they had to move up for their QB. I do not understand why people can't see that. Even if they trade away what some people would consider "a lot" of picks to move up, Miami would still have more than the normal allotted draft picks over the next two drafts and an enormous amount of cap space to fill all of their so called "holes".
Yes they made all those moves so they could move up if they had to to get their quarterback, question is do you still make that move on an often injured quarterback.

Yes they made all those moves so they could move up if they had to to get their quarterback, question is do you still make that move on an often injured quarterback.
I agree. I obviously can be wrong. I pick the physical of Herbert over the ability of Tua. I am perfect being wrong and Tua is great.

Btw. That photo is in my top three. “Amy” from a Dolphin calander a few years ago and the Farrah Fawcet bike pic.

In a heartbeat. Often injured is an exaggeration. he missed one game prior to the hip injury.

I don't think Cincy has that many holes to fill. I think their problem has to do with injuries, coaching, and playing a non-starting caliber QB for a stretch. Cincy could have a very quick turnaround. Their talent level is vastly different than ours despite the difference in records.

I just don't think people process that the dearth of talent on this team is almost unprecedented for a non-expansion team. You can't compare our roster to any other team in the league.
Why don't you rattle off all of those star players of the 2-14 Bengals. There's virtually no difference between Miami and Cincinnati as far as talent is concerned. On top of that, if Flores is as good as many on this site believes he is, he should be able to coach guys up. There is no hiding bad QB play.

In a heartbeat. Often injured is an exaggeration. he missed one game prior to the hip injury.
I’ll admit that I’ve not followed his career, but it’s been mentioned that he’s missed games in every season since back in high school. If I’m not mistaken he’s only played one full year. It looks like he has all the talent in the world, but if what’s been said about his issues that’s a big concern for me.

I’ll admit that I’ve not followed his career, but it’s been mentioned that he’s missed games in every season since back in high school. If I’m not mistaken he’s only played one full year. It looks like he has all the talent in the world, but if what’s been said about his issues that’s a big concern for me.
His freshman year he didn't miss any games, and his sophomore season he didn't miss any games. In his junior year, he missed one game because of a sprained ankle. He then played one full game and half of another before the serious hip injury knocked him out for the rest of the season. The injury hype on Tua is way overblown in my opinion. He has been banged up here and there, but I would say no more than just about every other QB that has ever played the game. Because of the major hip injury, people are now going back and nitpicking every bump and bruise he has ever had and are trying to link it all together as if he his injury prone. I just think it is way overblown. Should there be concern about the hip injury? Absolutely, but all the other minor things shouldn't be a concern and all the medical reports about the hip have been as positive as anyone could have hoped for. If I was running the Dolphins front office, I would gamble on Tua's ability and health because I believe he is the best QB prospect in this draft.

Not impressed with Herbert's stats. Tanne was 63.6% in the NFL. Herbert will be sub 60%.
Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2016OregonPac-12FRQB816225563.519367.68.4194148.8
*2017OregonPac-12SOQB813920667.519839.610.0155167.5
*2018OregonPac-12JRQB1324040459.431517.88.3298144.6
*2019OregonPac-12SRQB1428642866.834718.19.0326156.8
CareerOregon827129364.0105418.28.89523153.

Tua is at another level than any other QB except Burrow. We can't trade two first round picks for Tua but if we have to, I'd give up a 1st and 2nd to move up to #3, draft OL and RB to protect him and play a conservative run first O his first year and drill it in his head to not take ANY chances with injury.

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2017AlabamaSECFRQB8497763.66368.39.9112175.0
*2018AlabamaSECSOQB1524535569.0396611.212.8436199.4
*2019AlabamaSECJRQB918025271.4284011.313.4333206.9
CareerAlabama47468469.3744210.912.78711199.4

Back
Top Bottom