What is your greatest draft day fear? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your greatest draft day fear?

I'm advocating not overpaying for a questionable QB in such a way that will prevent you from building the team. I know the fact of the matter is some believe ever since before the first preseason game last year that Tua was the answer at any cost. I just don't agree.
How would you quantify overpaying? Do you believe the Bengals should draft Joe Burrow with the #1 overall pick? Most people believe it's a no brainer. By your logic they shouldn't because they are such a bad team and they have so many holes to fill they should trade the pick to get way more draft picks so they can fill those holes. They were a worse team than Miami so they should have as many holes as Miami, right? I think it would be crazy for Cincinnati to pass on a QB staring them right in the face with such a glaring need at the position. Miami also has a glaring need at the position. Let me put this in perspective for you. Miami could trade away all three of their first round picks and one of their second round picks this year and they would still have three more picks than the Bengals have in their entire draft to help rebuild their roster.

Last edited:
Isnt Fitzpatrick a sort of coach by default? He is a bridge to the next guy but can easily pass some of that Harvard knowledge to a guy like Love or Herbert with athletic skills.

Where has his deep knowledge ever translated to a franchise QB in the wings?

The only one I can think of is Alex Smith, who had a QB guru for a HC and system that is QB friendly? Otherwise, your talking point is just what you say when there is nothing else to offer.

Where has his deep knowledge ever translated to a franchise QB in the wings?

The only one I can think of is Alex Smith, who had a QB guru for a HC and system that is QB friendly? Otherwise, your talking point is just what you say when there is nothing else to offer.
Hes a veteran QB that is a Harvard grad, id like to think that knowledge he built up can be shared with an up and coming young QB during his last year in the NFL. Yes, its a talking point, thats what you do in a forum.

Yeah, I mean the Andrew Luck that made Indianapolis a perennial playoff team and a potential Super Bowl contender until the day he retired and once he did, that team was suddenly sub .500
So by this logic, its ok to be a "contender" but not win Superbowls? Marino made us a contender but never had a defense or running game and therefore saw one Superbowl...but yeah, we were contenders! Im sorry but almost isnt enough.

You need more than a QB. Would you agree that Brady is a good QB? How did those skills work out for him this year?

Luck was a good QB, not saying he wasnt, but couldnt do it all himself.

How would you quantify overpaying? Do you believe the Bengals should draft Joe Burrow with the #1 overall pick? Most people believe it's a no brainer. By your logic they shouldn't because they are such a bad team and they have so many holes to fill they should trade the pick to get way more draft picks so they can fill those holes. They were a worse team than Miami so they should have as many holes as Miami, right? I think it would be crazy for Cincinnati to pass on a QB staring them right in the face with such a glaring need at the position. Miami also has a glaring need at the position. Let me put this in perspective for you. Miami could trade away all three of their first round picks and one of their second round picks this year and they would still have three more picks than the Bengals have in their entire draft to help rebuild their roster.
Unfair comparison. Cincy was tanking and they got the #1 pick and will get their guy (who just had arguably the best season for a QB in college football ever...and isnt injury prone). They do this without trading any picks. Miami has to trade likely multiple picks for an injury prone QB.

So by this logic, its ok to be a "contender" but not win Superbowls? Marino made us a contender but never had a defense or running game and therefore saw one Superbowl...but yeah, we were contenders! Im sorry but almost isnt enough.

You need more than a QB. Would you agree that Brady is a good QB? How did those skills work out for him this year?

I get the whole winning it all should be the only goal for the players, coaches and organization. But from a fans point I think it's over blown. Sure winning a title or two is great, but if the team is entertain, fights hard and gets deep into the playoffs that should be good enough. If from a fans view point you get into the anything but a title is a failure mindset you're going to disappointed a lot and not really enjoying the game or experience of following a team. From my view point if the Dolphins traded places with the 49ers and made the Super Bowl and lost that would be good enough. Sure a tilte would be better but I would be pretty happy with what I saw.

You need to be in contention before you can actually win a superbowl.

His point was, despite all of that talent, Indy was only a contender with Luck.

Hes a veteran QB that is a Harvard grad, id like to think that knowledge he built up can be shared with an up and coming young QB during his last year in the NFL. Yes, its a talking point, thats what you do in a forum.

It's never translated at any point of his career.

My point is, he's here for one more year. Allowing the CS and FO to further assess more talent around him. Like WRs and the TEs, while trying to mitigate OL mistakes in year 2. Things on Sunday and in between the lines.

Hes just a fun guy to watch but I want him being the one year bridge he is.

I get the whole winning it all should be the only goal for the players, coaches and organization. But from a fans point I think it's over blown. Sure winning a title or two is great, but if the team is entertain, fights hard and gets deep into the playoffs that should be good enough. If from a fans view point you get into the anything but a title is a failure mindset you're going to disappointed a lot and not really enjoying the game or experience of following a team. From my view point if the Dolphins traded places with the 49ers and made the Super Bowl and lost that would be good enough. Sure a tilte would be better but I would be pretty happy with what I saw.
I see your point and its not uncommon when youve been losing for 20+ years, any sense of legit contention is like a dream. Ive been watching since the Griese days but it was during the Marino years that we had a legit shot to win it all practically every year. It was fun, dont get me wrong, but I personally felt let down every year and left wanting more. Maybe its just me but you could look at it both ways. Glass half empy vs half full I guess.

Ill take some more winning and "contention" over what weve witnessed for way too long. We just disagree on how to get there. No matter what happens, were getting a shot at some exciting players and hopefully restore some of that winning culture we had during Shula years.

Unfair comparison. Cincy was tanking and they got the #1 pick and will get their guy (who just had arguably the best season for a QB in college football ever...and isnt injury prone). They do this without trading any picks. Miami has to trade likely multiple picks for an injury prone QB.
I just freaking explained it to you. Miami will still have more picks than Cincinnati even if Miami made a ludicrous trade to move up.

Miami wasn't positioning themselves for a QB? :lol: Why do you think they stripped down the roster and accumulated all that draft capital for? They did it so they could move up for the QB if they had to.

I just freaking explained it to you. Miami will still have more picks than Cincinnati even if Miami made a ludicrous trade to move up.

Miami wasn't positioning themselves for a QB? :lol: Why do you think they stripped down the roster and accumulated all that draft capital for? They did it so they could move up for the QB if they had to.
You know that for sure right? Perhaps when Tua was healthy that was the plan, but after that injury, dont you think they could possibly change their mind on the guy they want? Maybe the trade up is for Burrow? Maybe they love a QB they can get without trading up? They will land a QB this draft, it just doesnt have to be a guy who fractured and dislocated his freaking hip and most definitely not by trading multiple first round picks!

And who cares about more 4-7 round picks. If we trade much of our early picks, how many of those 4-7 round picks will make the team? Keep the 5 picks in the first two rounds and get some players at multiple positions.

They traded away a PB level LT (pick 13), a starting WR and PB safety (pick 11) so they could draft a safety, WR and LT with lower picks. It's so obvious. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom