What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What it took the Browns to "Turn It Around"

Cleveland Browns Record over the last 8 years
YearW-L RecordH.C. CoachQBQBQBDraft SizeQB Drafted
20147-9Mike PettineBrian HoyerBrandon Weeden61-22 Manzell
20153-13"Josh McGownJohnny ManzellConor Shin12
20161-15Hue JacksonCody KesslerRobert Griffin IIIJosh McGown143-93 Kessler
20170-16"Deshone KaiserKevin Hogan102-52 Kaiser
20187-8"Baker MayfieldTyrod Taylor91-1 Mayfield
20196-10Freddie KitchensBaker Mayfield7
202011-5Kevin StefanskiBaker Mayfield7
2021"Baker Mayfield8

If we only look at the last 6 years (2015 to 2020) This is what I see:
1) A losing record for all but 2020, or a 1-5 record for winning seasons.
2) The Browns went through 3 Head coaches (to-date).
3) The Browns went through 10 QB's to get to Baker Mayfield.
4) The Browns had 4 big drafts of 12, 14, 10 and 9 from 2015-2018
5) The Browns drafted 4 QB's over 2014 to 2018 (Manzell Rd#1-pick#22, Kessler Rd#3-pick#93, Kaiser Rd#2-pick#52 and Mayfield Rd#1-Pick#1)

So the Browns turnaround took (at the very least) 6 years, during which they burned thru 3 HC's, 4 drafted QB's and a total of 10 QB's overall.

As of today they have a 1-5 seasonal record where they won more then 1/2 of their games.

We are 3 years into a rebuild with a 1-1 seasonal record where we won more then 1/2 our games.
We have drafted 1 QB who is still considered our best QB.
We are still "working" on our 1st HC.

It is clear BEYOUND QUESTION that we are miles ahead of what Cleveland did to establish their turn around and that is just looking at their last 6 complete seasons. Go back another 10 years and their results are even worse!

If anyone on this board still thinks we need to "start all over again" please identify yourselves" so I can see you get all the "Lemming" points you so justly deserve!

30 years of "experience my **s.

More like 30 years of an experience from where you learned "diddly squat".
The Browns finally turned it around when they hired a good GM and head coach. The Dolphins don't have either at this point.

This is really good. If you go back further to Tim Couch and other QBs it’s taken more like 20 years. And I’m not sure the Browns are a model anyone should be holding up as the norm. They aren’t. They have been woeful at this. So many misses on QBs. So many bad decisions. So many coaches. They are an anomaly not the norm.
Doesn't this make it more obvious when they do something right?

They hit on Mayfield. Take that away and the Browns would be struggling like many other teams.
If you mean they hit on Mayfield by picking a QB ranked in the bottom 10 this year, you are correct. He is only slightly ahead of Brissett in the rankings after 5 games this season.
The Brown are a good team because of their defense, running game, OL, and coaching. If Mayfield was on the Dolphins, everyone would be calling for Sinnett to start over him.

Mayfield is the most overrated starting QB in the NFL by far. He has 4 TD passes and 2 ints in 5 games. If those were Tua’s stats after 5 games, you certainly wouldn’t be singing his praises like you are Mayfield.

Last edited:

2021"Baker Mayfield8

5) The Browns drafted 4 QB's over 2014 to 2018 (Manzell Rd#1-pick#22, Kessler Rd#3-pick#93, Kaiser Rd#2-pick#52 and Mayfield Rd#1-Pick#1)

So the Browns turnaround took (at the very least) 6 years, during which they burned thru 3 HC's, 4 drafted QB's and a total of 10 QB's overall.

As of today they have a 1-5 seasonal record where they won more then 1/2 of their games.

We are 3 years into a rebuild with a 1-1 seasonal record where we won more then 1/2 our games.

It is clear BEYOUND QUESTION that we are miles ahead of what Cleveland did to establish their turn around and that is just looking at their last 6 complete seasons. Go back another 10 years and their results are even worse!

If anyone on this board still thinks we need to "start all over again" please identify yourselves" so I can see you get all the "Lemming" points you so justly deserve!

You act like this was a cohesive 6-year rebuild plan as opposed to multiple rebuild efforts by different regimes after several failed. The reality is that it took them 3 years to go from 0-16 to to 11-5 and the playoffs. That’s what a rebuild should take to make a team “good”. 3 years. That’s it.

Im not even sure the browns have completely turned it around. I think it’s because the browns somewhat missed with Mayfield. He just can’t put the team on his back when needed to

Only thing Cleveland has done is figured out how to beat teams they’re better than but for the most part are still losing marquee games vs top opponents but they are competitive. That’s where Miami should be this year.

Im not even sure the browns have completely turned it around. I think it’s because the browns somewhat missed with Mayfield. He just can’t put the team on his back when needed to

Only thing Cleveland has done is figured out how to beat teams they’re better than but for the most part are still losing marquee games vs top opponents but they are competitive. That’s where Miami should be this year.
I think they need a good QB to reach the level of the Bills and Chiefs. Perhaps they should be contacting the Texans and see if they can work out a trade for Watson. They aren’t going to win a SB with Mayfield as their QB.

I think they need a good QB to reach the level of the Bills and Chiefs. Perhaps they should be contacting the Texans and see if they can work out a trade for Watson. They aren’t going to win a SB with Mayfield as their QB.
Since last year the browns have been winless in games vs top teams, browns had such an easy schedule that they only had 3 such games last year and they were swept by Baltimore and lost to Pittsburgh. This year they lost to Kansas City and the Chargers. So Cleveland is still improving as they’re now hanging with those teams instead of being blown out like last year but still not quite there and probably never will be with Mayfield.

Last edited:
Since last year the browns have been winless in games vs top teams, browns had such an easy schedule that they only had 3 such games last year and they were swept by Baltimore and lost to Pittsburgh. This year they lost to Kansas City and the Chargers. So Cleveland is still improving as they’re no hanging with those teams instead of being blown out like last year but still not quite there and probably never will be with Mayfield.
I have never understood those who think Mayfield is a good NFL QB. He is on a team with one of the best OL’s in the league, a top tier running game and a top ten defense. Yet he has 4 td’s and 2 int’s through 5 games. He is in his 4th year in the league and he just isn’t getting any better. Yet the same fans who think he is a quality NFL QB have already determined Tua is a bust after 10 starts in the NFL.

If Mayfield had been the Dolphins QB the last 4 years, he would already be a career backup or completely out of the league.

You act like this was a cohesive 6-year rebuild plan as opposed to multiple rebuild efforts by different regimes after several failed. The reality is that it took them 3 years to go from 0-16 to to 11-5 and the playoffs. That’s what a rebuild should take to make a team “good”. 3 years. That’s it.
Try counting again:

1) 2016 1-15
2) 2017 0-16
3) 2018 7-8
4) 2019 6-10
5) 2020 11-5

Five seasons to go from 1-15 to 11-5
Four seasons to go from 0-16 to 11-5

Why you ignored 2016 beats me.

It's actually worse then that
2013 4-12
2014 7-9
2015 3-13
As you can see they were uneven and sinking in those years.

Their big drafts started in 2015.

I felt that 2015 was the year the year they started the rebuild, based on the size of the draft. I started my chart one year earlier just to allow some perspective without going all the way back to 1999 when they were
reconstituted. back in Cleveland.

A more accurate picture would be what the Browns did since....ever, to become successful. It took like 700 years not 8.
I limited my review of their stats to 1999 when they returned to Cleveland. That record was bad enough - more bad performances wouldn't make much of a difference.

It’s not that hard? Browns stacked offense with skill guys that are difference makers. Try two of the best RBs in the league on the same roster. We can’t even draft one. WR and TE rooms also loaded. This is about talent acquisition and game changing skill level. We are pedestrian at all of the positions no matter how “good” we think we look on paper.
Ya it’s not hard. Look at their skill guys. It’s not hard if you have a good line and running back. Mayfield is okay. Landry is decent but that line makes it go.

It’s not hard for most teams if you go the veteran right and stop trading players for drdft picks. Lol

They finally got a coach that knew what the he** he was doing and the players bought into that.

2021"Baker Mayfield8

The Browns are not in year five or six or ten or twenty of a rebuild. Each attempt at a rebuild was a siloed, discrete event, not one long uninterrupted event. The Browns attempted several, separate rebuilds which did not work, so they tried again. Each new rebuild is a separate process, not part of a longer meta-process. Why assume that the current attempt at a rebuild in Miami is part of some larger meta-process instead of just another failed discrete event?

And why compare us to the Browns? Because now they're a playoff team and in hindsight you can say "yes, we're only in stage one of a larger rebuild, yet we're further ahead than they are?" This is just nonsense Why isn't our rebuild more akin to the Jets or Lions?

THe Browns' experience rejects your premise completely in any case. They were quick to hit the reset button when it was obvious to them it wasn't working. They didn't stay the course as you'd have the Dolphins do. They were quick to try again when it was obvious it wasn't working.

Back
Top Bottom