What position group is the weakest part of the Miami Dolphins team? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What position group is the weakest part of the Miami Dolphins team?

What position group is the weakest part of the Miami Dolphins team?

• QBs

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • RBs

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • TEs

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • WRs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O-Line

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • D-Line

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LBs

Votes: 51 24.8%
  • CBs

Votes: 99 48.1%
  • Safeties

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Special Teams

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Coaching & Front Office

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The DB and LB positions get better automatically if this team can rely on its "strength" with the DL. Suh, Phillips and Mitchell and those rotating DE's need to be stout. On the flip side, if the offensive line can block for an extra 1-2 seconds, our offense could be very advanced. Football is fundamental, if the lines don't produce, they are the main reason why the other levels are perceived as "weaknesses."

The DB and LB positions get better automatically if this team can rely on its "strength" with the DL. Suh, Phillips and Mitchell and those rotating DE's need to be stout. On the flip side, if the offensive line can block for an extra 1-2 seconds, our offense could be very advanced. Football is fundamental, if the lines don't produce, they are the main reason why the other levels are perceived as "weaknesses."
Very true, we need Phillips to make strides. We know what we have in Mitchell..

Kiko SHOULD be a gigantic upgrade to the whole LB corps, making others guys seem better too. Just needs to stay healthy

On paper it looks great! Hopefully the oline woes are a thing of the past..

I think between Ireland not being able to find ol talent outside of the first round and Philbin having no clue how to develop anyone, that was our main two problems. Hopefully Gase and Tannenbaum can do better. Would be hard to do worse.

All reports this offseason have the plan being to play Bushrod at OG, and that was before landing Tunsil. Douglas has yet to play his natural position of LG and should get zero blame for the fiasco of being thrown in as a Center, a position he never played. Calling Turner horrific is melodramatic. This is the first time I've ever seen anybody say Dallas Thomas is better, because he clearly isn't. As much as I like the dream world where we have 5 all-pros starting with 5 all-pros backing them up, the reality is that we have a solid starting line with some good backup options, particularly at OT. Hardly qualifies as the weakest unit when you have other units that have big questions throughout (CB, LB, RB).

And I'd be shocked if they don't add another veteran OG.

Good post gonzo. Our plan A was definitely Bushrod at guard. I'm optimistic to see Douglas play his actual position of lg also. Albert or Tunsil will be there for now but in the future Douglas may have a chance. Turner wasn't horrific, he wasn't great. But consider the whole state of the line, he had Fox next to him a lot and the whole thing was shaky. I think he can and will improve with better coaching.. Urbik should help with depth overall. I don't think Sam Young will be active much and I'm really hoping / thinking Dallas Thomas doesn't make the 53.

Let him play 3rd string in camp for all I care maybe he can provide adequate protection for Doughty, maybe he can actually block those bottom barrel players lol

I voted CB but was really torn between that group and LB. Hopefully, one of those two units surprises us this year.

It's as if you didn't watch any games bro. Do we have to detail the issues again?

1. Albert is excellent, but he gets injured ... every year.

2. Pouncey is very good at pulling, but not good at the point of attack, so he doesn't open run lanes inside, but he's great at taking out linebackers if you can get him into space.

3. James was drafted in round 1 ... but he's not great, he's rather average as a RT. He's better at pass protection than run blocking.

Our OL is among the worst every year ... no matter how many resources you put into it, we don't have the players. Our problems are we need 2 starting caliber guards and a decent backup LT. Tunsil fills the LT position and until Albert gets hurt he will fill the LG spot. BUT, you must be OK with starting one of our trio of horrible guards at RG ... Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner (who graded out even worse than Dallas Thomas) or Jamil Douglas (horrible as a rookie, but I cut him some slack because he was a rookie). Or, have you changed your opinion on Kraig Urbik? IMHO, he's a solid backup guard ... but if you're going to start him ... well he's not bad but he's not great either.

So you hire a new coach who is an offensive guru, and you trot out Dallas Thomas to make it happen ... good luck with that.

I guess you missed my statement about Albert getting injured.....

So, we add a tackle in the first round (James) and a former first rounder (Albert), yet our offensive line didn't get that much better. Does coaching come into your mind as an issue or are you a guy who doesn't rely on coach and the players' talent should be enough to protect the QB?

Are they starting Dallas Thomas this year? I didn't see the article where he won the starting position.

Come on, BRO!

I think the LB positions are the most critical to the success and improvement of the team this season. The DL can only do so much and if the LB's aren't putting themselves in the right position to make plays, we will see our opponents run all over us yet again. I am not saying that the DL is a strength. In fact, I think that they are probably middle of the road or slightly better. But a good LB corps can make them look a whole lot better. I am hopeful that Joseph can implement his scheme and the players all pick it up quickly before they start the season in Seattle. Hopefully he starts them all with fundamentals (tackling, shedding blocks, etc) so they don't get embarrassed like they did so many times the last few seasons.

The offense should be the strength of the team this season. There are no more excuses for them not scoring enough points to win the close games. It all hinges on the right arm of Tannehill and his ability to run the offense that Gase is putting into place. I expect there to be a bit of a learning curve (after all, how many coordinators has he had in his first few years?) but they should be hitting on all cylinders by the third or fourth game and showing the league what they have. Hopefully we see a more exciting, less predictable offensive game plan. There is talent at the WR position and, even though the RB position is a bit questionable, they should be able to open up the playbook and get the skill players in a position for success. A lot of that has to do with chemistry so I hope there are upcoming reports of the team working together outside of the Dolphins facility and developing the chemistry.

I think CB and LB are neck and neck for problems. So our back 7 are an issue? Ouch!

I guess you missed my statement about Albert getting injured.....

So, we add a tackle in the first round (James) and a former first rounder (Albert), yet our offensive line didn't get that much better. Does coaching come into your mind as an issue or are you a guy who doesn't rely on coach and the players' talent should be enough to protect the QB?

Are they starting Dallas Thomas this year? I didn't see the article where he won the starting position.

Come on, BRO!
Actually I was clear in my dislike of our drafted OL, with Dallas Thomas being the one that ticked me off the most on his draft day. But everyone kept saying he was great and I was blind. I was right.

My problem with Turner was that he was so raw technique-wise. He didn't play as a rookie, and was still very raw as a 2nd year player, rating below Dallas Thomas! I was right again bro.

Jamil Douglas I cut some slack because he was a rookie and not ever really a center, but I didn't really like the pick. Not great physically, and not a great tech ician. Guess I was right again.

Of the 3, Dallas Thomas graded out as the least bad of the 3. Yet you insist on defending them. Do you really think.its coaching holding them back? I think.our scouts draft bad players, but I guess neither of us will convince the other.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Actually I was clear in my dislike of our drafted OL, with Dallas Thomas being the one that ticked me off the most on his draft day. But everyone kept saying he was great and I was blind. I was right. My problem with Turner was that he was so raw technique-wise. He didn't play as a rookie, and was still very raw as a 2nd year player, rating below Dallas Thomas! I was right again bro. Jamil Douglas I cut some slack because he was a rookie and not ever really a center, but I didn't really like the pick. Not great physically, and not a great tech ician. Guess I was right again. Of the 3, Dallas Thomas graded out as the least bad of the 3. Yet you insist on defending them. Do you really think.its coaching holding them back? I think.our scouts draft bad players, but I guess neither of us will convince the other. Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Just a couple of tweaks, from memory, Turner was grading close to average til he was injured. That's not great, but better than league's worst. Do I think coaching is holding them back. For all but Thomas, I wouldn't be surprised. Turner and Douglas were said to have 'technique' problems. That's an opportunity for coaching. That said, I'm still uncomfortable with the OG opposite Tunsil. "Our scouts draft bad players." I'd make that past tense. Not hitting the ball out of the park, but getting play-makers - something Dolphin fans haven't seen in years. And the consensus seems to be 4-5 of this year's draft could get playing time. Can't remember the last time I saw that.

Back
Top Bottom