What position group is the weakest part of the Miami Dolphins team? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What position group is the weakest part of the Miami Dolphins team?

What position group is the weakest part of the Miami Dolphins team?

• QBs

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • RBs

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • TEs

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • WRs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O-Line

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • D-Line

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LBs

Votes: 51 24.8%
  • CBs

Votes: 99 48.1%
  • Safeties

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Special Teams

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Coaching & Front Office

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GM Tannabaum is a bomb waiting to go off and will eventually

Actually I was clear in my dislike of our drafted OL, with Dallas Thomas being the one that ticked me off the most on his draft day. But everyone kept saying he was great and I was blind. I was right.

My problem with Turner was that he was so raw technique-wise. He didn't play as a rookie, and was still very raw as a 2nd year player, rating below Dallas Thomas! I was right again bro.

Jamil Douglas I cut some slack because he was a rookie and not ever really a center, but I didn't really like the pick. Not great physically, and not a great tech ician. Guess I was right again.

Of the 3, Dallas Thomas graded out as the least bad of the 3. Yet you insist on defending them. Do you really think.its coaching holding them back? I think.our scouts draft bad players, but I guess neither of us will convince the other.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

barry-horowitz.gif

Our staff drafts bad players outside of the 1st rounders who can tick all the boxes. That's what I meant.

I'm totally convinced with Tunsil's ability. If he grows up a bit and makes good decisions he can be a HoF'er. Likewise, Pouncey was a good pickup and so was Jake Long. The only 1st rounder I'm not conv8nced about is James ... but I was heartbroken when Zach Martin went to the Cowboys, so at least I understand the pick even if I think James was overdrafted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even the smart a$$es of finheaven said WRs, we haven't had a core of young crazy talent like this in a while! Too bad we ignored our skill players on defense to get this

Our staff drafts bad players outside of the 1st rounders who can tick all the boxes. That's what I meant. I'm totally convinced with Tunsil's ability. If he grows up a bit and makes good decisions he can be a HoF'er. Likewise, Pouncey was a good pickup and so was Jake Long. The only 1st rounder I'm not conv8nced about is James ... but I was heartbroken when Zach Martin went to the Cowboys, so at least I understand the pick even if I think James was overdrafted. Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The number of R1 picks below top 10 who start every year is rather small. By that measure, James was a pretty good pick.

Our staff drafts bad players outside of the 1st rounders who can tick all the boxes. That's what I meant.

I'm totally convinced with Tunsil's ability. If he grows up a bit and makes good decisions he can be a HoF'er. Likewise, Pouncey was a good pickup and so was Jake Long. The only 1st rounder I'm not conv8nced about is James ... but I was heartbroken when Zach Martin went to the Cowboys, so at least I understand the pick even if I think James was overdrafted.

Jake Long wasn't a good pick. In order for a 1st overall pick to be considered a good pick is, he has to be a Hall of Famer, be the face of your franchise and have a long career. He checks none of those boxes. Although he was good for a few years with the Dolphins. Still not considered a good pick in my opinon. 1st overall pick should never be an olineman. Should be a position that makes a big impact for your team. QB, pass rushing DE, WR.

Jake Long wasn't a good pick. In order for a 1st overall pick to be considered a good pick is, he has to be a Hall of Famer, be the face of your franchise and have a long career. He checks none of those boxes. Although he was good for a few years with the Dolphins. Still not considered a good pick in my opinon. 1st overall pick should never be an olineman. Should be a position that makes a big impact for your team. QB, pass rushing DE, WR.
OK, here's a list of #1 picks from 2014 to 2013 (giving the 2013 pick long enough to become the face of the franchise). EManning, Alex Smith, Mario Williams, Jamarcus Russel, Jake Long, Stafford, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Eric Fisher. How many will likely make HOF and how many are the face of their franchise. And of those 10, 7 were QBs. Second most position taken at #1? OT.

OK, here's a list of #1 picks from 2014 to 2013 (giving the 2013 pick long enough to become the face of the franchise). EManning, Alex Smith, Mario Williams, Jamarcus Russel, Jake Long, Stafford, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Eric Fisher. How many will likely make HOF and how many are the face of their franchise. And of those 10, 7 were QBs. Second most position taken at #1? OT.

Whats your point?

We can debate whether he was or was not. But IMHO, Jake Long proved his talent level in both pass protection and dominance in the run game his first two years. Where the pick was criticized by Mike Mayock, who was pitching his family friend Matt Ryan for the top pick, was as a LT in pass protection. Long clearly was exceptional there.

Injuries were not a major concern for Jake coming out of college. But, they were exactly what destroyed his career. Had Jake kept his health for 10 years he likely would have been a Hall of Fame guy. He was that talented. So from a pick.point of view, IMHO he was a good pick. As a player, he fell prey to injuries.

IMHO, the best center to ever play the game was Dwight Stephenson. Bear Bryant called him the best football player he ever coached. Injuries cut short his career too, but he had about 7 before it happened and had a HoF worthy career. Injuries change one's outlook.

Whats your point?
IMO, your bar for a "good" #1 pick is unrealistic. Maybe a "great" pick, but not "good." I'd call Alex Smith a "good" pick but he won't be HOF. Long was a good pick - no way anyone could have foreseen his injuries. And yoge's point about Dwight Stephenson. GREAT pick, but an injury shortened career. Guess I'm just struggling with "good."

I said coaching, but I assumed this was talking about prior to this season.
As far as this season coming up, either LB's or CB's. I think Alonso will make an impact, but he has to stay healthy. CB's are a mixed bag just as well, hopefully Vance has got it all sorted out.

I can't decide between LBs or CBs.

We'll see what happens with OL, but I think this might be the first year in a few years that it hasn't been the worst unit on the team, and I guess that's progress.

I can't decide between LBs or CBs.

We'll see what happens with OL, but I think this might be the first year in a few years that it hasn't been the worst unit on the team, and I guess that's progress.

Well, after this week, I'm inclined to change my vote to LBs.

Dont know about coaching yet. Will have to wait on that until we see how the seasons going. I think vance is going to be real good. Gase? I dont see how he can EVER live up to the mountainous elevated platform fans have put him on. We have fans posting he is coaching up the players subconteously on the practice field now!!!

I think he will be somewhere in between. Not a guru, not the new bill walsh, not controling the games telepathicly, but a good coach who has a foot on the oppositions throat mentality. The biggest reason i see for a better season is gase is inheriting a nice group of young players courtesy of dennis hickey and having a blue chip lt fall in his lap and a rare threat in jakeem grant and we cant help but be better. You have to have great players to do great things and we finally have a wicked looking group of wr's and a rb who i think if is healthy will be in the pro bowl THIS YEAR!!!

So, i cant say coaching is the week link, BUT........, Ross and T-bomb (the grusome-twosome) are the week link. The poll had coaching/front office linked together but theres no way to judge coaching right now.

FRONT OFFICE!! Thats my final answer.

Back
Top Bottom