What stops this offense? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What stops this offense?

Injuries and cold, foul weather.

I hope we don't see the former and we will most likely see the latter.

I'll add, a dominant defensive line. That will spell trouble.
Well said. The weather part concerns me more than anything. Most teams will be dealing with injuries and even significant injuries. Can they go into Buffalo (maybe twice) and score points in lousy weather against a team that we know can. Feels like the early 90s again.

Honestly Pittsburg slowed us down pretty well. But at that time we didn't have Wilson at RB. Last game clevland actually held our to animals in check (kind of) but our RBs went off! At this point, I'm not sure what would be able to stop us. We still have gesecki too. So if another team tries to shut down the middle of the field, fine, we will just run or throw to the flats to our RBs. That's not even including Sherfield now who has proven to be a threat. I cannot believe how many options we have at this point. It's insane

The Offense can beat any Defense in the NFL. 100%. Whether it can beat any TEAM is another topic. All I know it would be a shootout.
Anybody see the latest NFL power rankings? Our team didn't even play and we dropped from 4th to 7th. That's a joke. With the way some of those teams played Fins should have at least stayed or even gone up. Bills higher...says it all.

We've all been on a fantastic high these past few weeks watching Tua and co. dissect NFL defenses with ease. There hasn't been a whole lot slowing down the phins other than a smattering of self inflicted injuries in the form of penalties, dropped passes, and Tua misfires. Hill is a matchup nightmare who gets to do whatever he wants on the field. Teams are either so respectful of his speed they play off him or McDaniel manufactures a clean release by bringing him in motion. The RPO/play action has kept everyone guessing enough that Tua has had a couple clean jersey days. I can't imagine he ever though he'd see another in his career after the past couple seasons of getting hammered.

We've seen this before with offensive attacks that have everyone baffled until someone comes along with what seems at least on the surface to be a ridiculously simple solution. McVay had his moment until he saw an extra man on the line of scrimmage completely nullifying his rushing attack. Mahomes and Reid couldn't be stopped until someone decided he wasn't going to throw deep on them anymore. Even Murray and Kingsbury had their brief time in the sun.

So what do you think is going to be the counter to the McDaniel/Tua show?

Old Age - LOL

I am not sure they can be stopped during the majority of the regular season. The refs allow more physical play styles during the last 2 weeks and the playoffs. The games at Buffalo and at New England will be a good measuring stick. The 49ers have a very good defense. Let’s see how those games go.

Lmao do you just answer to posts entirely different in your head? Because thats twice in a row I've seen you answer something entirely different (assuming of course you were being honest about the "Yup We did" pertaining to ... something else and not the question you directly quoted, which stated "Did we score in the 4th against Detroit?"

Very confusing. So you... are not a 4th quarter score denier or?
I’ll wait until you form your question into a question and learn to use parentheses correctly. Hit me up then?

In general, if the QB gets the ball out in under 2.5 seconds accurately and on time to the right guy and he catches it then nothing can stop this offense. In other words, there's no defense for the perfect pass.

A defense could, however, try to make any of those steps more difficult.

A defense can try to get pressure before 2.5 seconds (it would have to be up the middle against most play calls). (That's why moving Williams to C was such a key decision). You could see that in games where teams disrupted Brady. It was often with pressure up the middle.

They can try and confuse the QB. Teams have tried this but so far Tua has been pretty good at reading defenses and has made them pay.

They can try and flood the zones where the QB wants to go. This is the one I think is most likely. Pitt had success in the second half b/c it seemed like Minkah scared Tua off his middle of the field passes. Tua was clearly rusty that game and didn't use his outside alternatives very well. Cleveland did something similar with a ton of cover 3 and cover 6. They tried to take away the middle of the field and anything deep to force the offense to be more methodical. But Tua had better answers than against Pitt and showed much better patience.

Not only did he use more other targets, but specifically he used the backs out of the backfield a lot more. Mostert, who was never a great receiving back, caught several. And Wilson provided a huge upgrade as a receiver vs. what we got from Chase. Ingold also contributed after some drops out of the backfield early in the season. Being able to hit those backs out of the backfield is huge when you stretch the defense vertically. It's just a tough ask for LBs to get deep and take away the middle and then come back up to tackle in the short areas.

The other key is the addition of the run game. If the team can run against the better DLs, then defenses have to involve the LBs more. That, of course makes it more difficult for them to get enough depth quickly enough against really fast receivers.

So basically, a defense needs to be able to stop the run and get inside pressure with their DL, have LBs or hybrid Ss that can cover a lot of space in the middle of the field yet also get up to limit the backs out of the backfield.

We've all been on a fantastic high these past few weeks watching Tua and co. dissect NFL defenses with ease. There hasn't been a whole lot slowing down the phins other than a smattering of self inflicted injuries in the form of penalties, dropped passes, and Tua misfires. Hill is a matchup nightmare who gets to do whatever he wants on the field. Teams are either so respectful of his speed they play off him or McDaniel manufactures a clean release by bringing him in motion. The RPO/play action has kept everyone guessing enough that Tua has had a couple clean jersey days. I can't imagine he ever though he'd see another in his career after the past couple seasons of getting hammered.

We've seen this before with offensive attacks that have everyone baffled until someone comes along with what seems at least on the surface to be a ridiculously simple solution. McVay had his moment until he saw an extra man on the line of scrimmage completely nullifying his rushing attack. Mahomes and Reid couldn't be stopped until someone decided he wasn't going to throw deep on them anymore. Even Murray and Kingsbury had their brief time in the sun.

So what do you think is going to be the counter to the McDaniel/Tua show?
You're mentioning the passing portion of the offense but what can really keep teams from stopping it is the run game. They can't just concentrate on stopping Tua. They have to stop the whole offense which is hard to do.

Whats stops this offense is if tua can't play.

Tua cant play we can score points.

A Tua injury (knocking HARD AF on wood)!

As long as Tua continues to not make those plays from the past, where he would hold on to the ball for too long, and get a coverage sack, we will be fine. I would say a good DLine would be an issue, but not only does he get rid of the ball quicker than the Dlinemen can get to him, but his pocket presence and anticipation is elite.

As long as we are healthy, I believe this offense will continue to produce. I do not see any defense in the league that can clamp down on us. Contain us, yes, shut is down, nah, I do not see it.
Dallas.

The OL struggling to protect Tua.

The Fins are going to be facing some stout pass rushes the rest of the way with NE,NYJ, BUFF and SF being able to create significant pass pressure from their front 4.

I am still worried about keeping Tua upright and healthy.
Yeah I'll be holding my breath with these upcoming games. This will tell us how well or how bad Miami matches up with top defenses

I wonder what would happen if you pressed Hill and Waddle with bigger CB's and with cover 2 safeties? I'm sure they would just motion alot more right(
What would happen is we would just go to other guys who, by definition of doubling Hill/Waddle, would be either single covered, or covered by a shorthanded zone approach.

With McD, it's more a choice of picking your poison. If we execute at a high level, and there's no reason to believe otherwise, no defense can take away everything.

Beyond that, few teams have Corners that can effectively press average receivers, let alone these two freaks.

Back
Top Bottom