What the knock on Herbert? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the knock on Herbert?

He could and probably should have been intercepted about 5 times tonight. This game highlighted his issues, he's just not instinctive at the position , he panics when he has to go through his reads and his accuracy is hit and miss, he can throw the most beautiful ball and he did a couple of times tonight but he's a project, a major project, something I don't think we are really in a position to be part of. Our fan base and owner will not give him enough time to get the coaching instilled he obviously needs, prior to tonight, I thought sit him a year and he might well be ready, think it's gonna take a lot longer than that, if he ever gets there.
I posted his career stats above. Man if you don't think a 6'4 240 guy with 40 starts and his accomplishments can't make it...I guess my only question would be can any qb in college right now make it?

I posted his career stats above. Man if you don't think a 6'4 240 guy with 40 starts and his accomplishments can't make it...I guess my only question would be can any qb in college right now make it?

He's mouldable, no question on that but he's far from being NFL ready, tonight's game showed that obviously but I have watched a lot of him and these kind of bad traits are not uncommon they show up a lot but are often glossed over because you see some absolutely glorious throws mixed in there. That consistency is the worrying aspect. He can make it in the NFL for sure and like I said, think he will still be a 1st round QB, but he needs very good coaching.

He's mouldable, no question on that but he's far from being NFL ready, tonight's game showed that obviously but I have watched a lot of him and these kind of bad traits are not uncommon they show up a lot but are often glossed over because you see some absolutely glorious throws mixed in there. That consistency is the worrying aspect. He can make it in the NFL for sure and like I said, think he will still be a 1st round QB, but he needs very good coaching.
Just curious. Let's say in the past 5 years. Before you saw them play in the NFL, which qbs did you rate as NFL ready?

That game could have cost Herbert a hell of a lot of money, think he still goes round 1 and even possible still top 10, because there will be an egocentric QB whisperer that will say they can fix that but you can't put that on tape the way he did tonight.

So you're saying he's a Bronco? :lol:

I agree though. Hate to pile on after a bad game but I just don't see much with Herbert. Locks on too much and gets skittish when a play isn't there right away. Arm is strong but not elite, and he doesn't have the type of athleticism that will overcome mistakes at the NFL level. But he's tall, white and puts up numbers against subpar competition when much of the country is turning in for bed.

Just curious. Let's say in the past 5 years. Before you saw them play in the NFL, which qbs did you rate as NFL ready?

Hehe, i will take you back to last year. I loved Murray, that was a slam dunk. I was one of the very few on here that loved Haskins. After that I was very interested in Drew Lock where we were picking, would have taken a punt on Will Grier in the 2nd or 3rd. Would have loved Minshew in our QB room with a late pick but never saw him as being as successful as he was this year for JAX. So my evaluation skills are a mixed bag really, there are a lot more smarter folks than me on here and I will always bow to their judgement (except on Jake Fromm :)), folks like J-off, Slim and CK.

Back to this year I thinking Hurts may be the most interesting prospect outside of Tua and Burrow, but difficult to justify a first rounder on him. What started out as being a pretty stacked QB class is looking a little light outside the top 2.

Hehe, i will take you back to last year. I loved Murray, that was a slam dunk. I was one of the very few on here that loved Haskins. After that I was very interested in Drew Lock where we were picking, would have taken a punt on Will Grier in the 2nd or 3rd. Would have loved Minshew in our QB room with a late pick but never saw him as being as successful as he was this year for JAX. So my evaluation skills are a mixed bag really, there are a lot more smarter folks than me on here and I will always bow to their judgement (except on Jake Fromm :)), folks like J-off, Slim and CK.

Back to this year I thinking Hurts may be the most interesting prospect outside of Tua and Burrow, but difficult to justify a first rounder on him. What started out as being a pretty stacked QB class is looking a little light outside the top 2.
Nice.
I was a huge Murray fan. AZ move to get him was a no brainer to me. I was also a huge fan of baker before but got my teeth kick in for supporting him. I liked and still like Haskins. This guy is a pure pocket passer. He needs some more time but I still have money on him that he will be good. I will admit I'm a grier homer. I'm a WVU alum sooo.....
Hurt catches to much crap on this board. Yes he is run first but the guy is what 32-3 as a starter or something close to that...in bama and Oklahoma. The guy has a cannon arm too. I think 2 years with the right coach he can be like lamar...who by the way I called all the way from Louisville ;)

The knock on Herbert as we saw last night, is the inconsistency. When he is on, he has superstar potential, when he is off he is really off. If you were to draft him you want to make sure you have the right people in place. That being said I don't think last night's performance took him out of any conversation

The knock on Herbert as we saw last night, is the inconsistency. When he is on, he has superstar potential, when he is off he is really off. If you were to draft him you want to make sure you have the right people in place. That being said I don't think last night's performance took him out of any conversation
I agree. Totally not saying he IS an elite prospect, but the fact remains he does have tools to work with. As I stated tho, I mostly don't like Oregon's system.

On the 2 INTs?

There was one I didn’t like. Thought he forced it. The other the lb chucked the inside release option off the route imo at or more than 5 yards which should be a penalty. Either way that’s easily coachable to make sure he understands rerouting by a physical lb can happen there and you can’t anticipate he will be at the spot. Ie cross the face of the backer there. Which is what he was expecting

there was some other throws where I think he expected guys to get to somewhere they didn’t once the script broke down i’m not so mucb worried about that. And the mechanics and footwork was very lacking consistency wise.

easily the most inconsistent mechanics I’ve seen all year from him.

after putting together 3 pretty stellar tapes in a row that was a bad one.

The question is whether the bad mechanics can be coached out of him.

IF you think you can coach him up then his talent is well worth a high 1st round pick.

IF not then he is Jake Locker.

Starting to fall out of like with Herbs.

Might have to roll with Rosen next season. Trade down and take Tua in the mids.

I know I'm late to this but Herbert was terrible last night. I've watched him a few times now and he does not impress me. Big guy with big Arm and thats it. He reminds me of Flacco, just meh but great physical ability. I wouldn't draft him top 5, especially over a guy like Chase Young or Joe Burrow.

The ball pops out of his hands where it’s just different. He’d have to go to the right situation. You can’t force feed him into ball control, West Coast styles. He’d be good in an Al Davis type style. Pound the rock with a rugged running game, get some speed on the outside, and rip it. You’d get a high YPA qb.

But if he doesn’t have a run game and you ask him to make a bunch of ball control throws that‘s a square peg meeting a round hole.

Back
Top Bottom