What the knock on Herbert? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the knock on Herbert?

Burrows and Haskins look very similar. Thoughts?

Not even close. Haskins throws often sail on him and he doesn't have it between the ears. The definition of a me first guy. Don't see any of that in Burrows.

Maybe a bit only because they got the same coaching at Ohio State, but Burrow has wiggle in him while Haskins is a pure pocket passer.

Burrow can go off script and doesn't need to be mechanically perfect to be accurate and make plays, Haskins is almost robotic and has to be perfectly lined up from head to toe to be accurate. NFL QBs need to be able to use the upper body to make up the difference to throw things off script. Legs are important but you have to be able to move and think on the fly to make it work in the NFL.

The ball comes out of Burrow's hand much better then Haskins. Haskins throws a weak spiral, he doesn't flick his wrist very hard and isn't a natural thrower and IMO has a bit of a longer motion to throw. Burrow has a quick release and the ball seem to be tighter. And I believe this is because Burrow has a great follow through while Haskins motion was sort of abbreviated at the end.

Neither is a great deep ball thrower but Burrow is lethal in the mid range where the NFL is played. Haskins numbers were majorly inflated by YAC, just look at that Penn State game winning drive to see, 3 screens got him 90 yards of passing. His guys were so good after the catch he didn't really force the ball down field to get yards.

Lastly, I think Burrow is a much higher level competitor than Haskins at least outwardly. Nothing wrong with being cool calm and collected on the field but you need to be elite at a bunch of stuff and Haskins isnt there yet.

Reactions: MD
Not even close. Haskins throws often sail on him and he doesn't have it between the ears. The definition of a me first guy. Don't see any of that in Burrows.
Do you watch burrow often? He has many throws that sail high.
The cerebral arguement is non sense. Haskins ran a pro offense in Ohio and his read progressions were amazing there. I would challenge you to go back and watch a couple games.

Maybe a bit only because they got the same coaching at Ohio State, but Burrow has wiggle in him while Haskins is a pure pocket passer.

Burrow can go off script and doesn't need to be mechanically perfect to be accurate and make plays, Haskins is almost robotic and has to be perfectly lined up from head to toe to be accurate. NFL QBs need to be able to use the upper body to make up the difference to throw things off script. Legs are important but you have to be able to move and think on the fly to make it work in the NFL.

The ball comes out of Burrow's hand much better then Haskins. Haskins throws a weak spiral, he doesn't flick his wrist very hard and isn't a natural thrower and IMO has a bit of a longer motion to throw. Burrow has a quick release and the ball seem to be tighter. And I believe this is because Burrow has a great follow through while Haskins motion was sort of abbreviated at the end.

Neither is a great deep ball thrower but Burrow is lethal in the mid range where the NFL is played. Haskins numbers were majorly inflated by YAC, just look at that Penn State game winning drive to see, 3 screens got him 90 yards of passing. His guys were so good after the catch he didn't really force the ball down field to get yards.

Lastly, I think Burrow is a much higher level competitor than Haskins at least outwardly. Nothing wrong with being cool calm and collected on the field but you need to be elite at a bunch of stuff and Haskins isnt there yet.
The point that sticks out most is robotic. That's interesting you have that as a negative. Most coaches teach by repetition and terms like muscle memory and robotic are very much positives.

The point that sticks out most is robotic. That's interesting you have that as a negative. Most coaches teach by repetition and terms like muscle memory and robotic are very much positives.

I use it here as a negative because his feet and hips and upper body all have to be in perfect sync to be accurate, where as the high end QBs can have their feet in the general direction and use their upper body to turn off their lower half and be accurate. Being robotic and needing to be perfectly lined up to be accurate with today's lack of offensive lines and constantly being in a dirty pocket having to be completely in sync seems a bit unrealistic to be successful at a high level.

I use it here as a negative because his feet and hips and upper body all have to be in perfect sync to be accurate, where as the high end QBs can have their feet in the general direction and use their upper body to turn off their lower half and be accurate. Being robotic and needing to be perfectly lined up to be accurate with today's lack of offensive lines and constantly being in a dirty pocket having to be completely in sync seems a bit unrealistic to be successful at a high level.
I feel burows has happy feet. He will definitely need to improve to succeed in the nfl.

I believe if burrow stayed at Ohio and had the same exact season as he is right now. 90% of his supports on here would say he is garbage...

Do you watch burrow often? He has many throws that sail high.
The cerebral arguement is non sense. Haskins ran a pro offense in Ohio and his read progressions were amazing there. I would challenge you to go back and watch a couple games.
I've watched Burrow several times this season and Haskins many times over his time at Ohio State. Haskins struggled with downfield accuracy at Ohio State and was the same against Detroit on Sunday. And the struggles were not occasional it was almost every game of his I watched. I don't see a comparison at all.

I feel burows has happy feet. He will definitely need to improve to succeed in the nfl.

I think that's part of his wiggle as he is always ready to extend and make a play but you are right there is a fine line and he needs to polish it so it is an assset rather than a trait that prevents him from reaching his best.

I've watched Burrow several times this season and Haskins many times over his time at Ohio State. Haskins struggled with downfieldd accuracy at Ohio State and was the same against Detroit on Sunday. And by struggling at Ohio State that was in damn near every game I watched.

His arm motion is too abrupt he doesn't drive the ball down field, he under-threw soooo many balls at Ohio State, luckily he had great skill players to make up for it.

I've watched Burrow several times this season and Haskins many times over his time at Ohio State. Haskins struggled with downfieldd accuracy at Ohio State and was the same against Detroit on Sunday. And by struggling at Ohio State that was in damn near every game I watched.
Just so I understand . Haskins last year at Ohio st you think he struggled every game. 70% completion, just under 5k yards, 50 tds to 8 ints. That's constant struggle?

I believe if burrow stayed at Ohio and had the same exact season as he is right now. 90% of his supports on here would say he is garbage...
If you're implying anyone not an Ohio State fan would be guilty of this maybe to a point. But I'm a huge Michigan fan and as much as I don't like Haskins I'd be thrilled if Miami was able to draft Fields.

Just so I understand . Haskins last year at Ohio st you think he struggled every game. 70% completion, just under 5k yards, 50 tds to 8 ints. That's constant struggle?
Again, downfield. Most of that percentage is short throws that his receivers got YAC. Perhaps you should go back and watch the Ohio State games when he was there. I think you may be relying to much on numbers and not your eyes.

I think that's part of his wiggle as he is always ready to extend and make a play but you are right there is a fine line and he needs to polish it so it is an assset rather than a trait that prevents him from reaching his best.
I think that's a light take on his drop back issues. He can extend plays but that's different from what I'm addressing. His feet mechanics are severely lacking in my opinion for the NFL level.

Back
Top Bottom