What the knock on Herbert? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the knock on Herbert?

I think one big difference between Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts is that Jackson was running NFL concepts at Louisville. I think Hurts was probably running some NFL concepts early on at Alabama, but the tape of him doing so is part of the bear case on him, whereas the tape of Lamar Jackson executing NFL concepts was part of the bull case on him.
That's interesting. I'm definitely not remembering correctly cause I recall one of the big knocks on him was Louisville ran a college centric system that every scouts said would not translate.

I like Fromm, but his last game? He was like 12 for 27, with not many yards. Was there a reason for that?

A little off topic, but quarterback related. Haven't heard much about Jalen Hurts, as far as his NFL value goes. I've read scouting reports questioning his ability to read defenses quickly, how he is basically limited to one read and run at Baylor. Kind of like how Jim Harbaugh handled Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco.

But to my eyes, I see a prospect a little bit like Lamar Jackson. Jackson has obviously been well-coached at Baltimore as his accuracy (the one big issue I remember), has improved dramatically.

I don't know if you can teach a quarterback to read defenses if that is indeed Hurts biggest issue. But wanted to get some thoughts on him.
Then you build your whole O around him and your back ups better run the same O

Lamar I love him to death want him to win a SB This Year but he takes hellacious hits and ask Kap and Cam how that worked out for them long term?

He needs to sit for a minimum of a year if not longer after he is drafted or he will look like Haskins2
Fromm college experience is far superior to Haskins. Just by pure number of games it's more than double. I'm not sure this is a fair comparison

I like Fromm, but his last game? He was like 12 for 27, with not many yards. Was there a reason for that?

Even with homer glasses on it was a poor performance by he and his receivers.

First, the entire year his receivers and TEs outside of Cager have had trouble getting open when the D plays man to man. Notre Dame started it South Carolina rode it to a win, FL, Mizzou and Auburn played it well just had a few gafs that cost them. There were a couple of drops in the Auburn game that would have extended drives and possibly padded his stats. Georgia also got WAY TO CONSERVATIVE after Auburn scored their first TD. 3rd and longs with that defensive front i doubt anyone can do well. Plus they were effective on the ground and I think on the big run from Swift at the end of the first half Fromm adjusted protection prior to the snap and lead him to gash the defense and eventually lead to a TD.

With Fromm like CK said you have to look at tape and well beyond the stat line, which is hard when other QBs are throwing for 350+ a week.

He made some key throws when it mattered and well every QB has a stinker especially in college. I mean look at Lawrence vs UNC had more yards but defiantly was not his best effort.

He needs to sit for a minimum of a year if not longer after he is drafted or he will look like Haskins2

Not a fair comparison, Haskins has nowhere near the presnap ability of Fromm and never heard that Haskins has crazy intangibles. He put up huge numbers and came out during a weak class and was still taken in the teens. Even Sanchez proved enough to be taken in the top 5 by just as dysfunctional franchise as Haskins was.

Fromm college experience is far superior to Haskins. Just by pure number of games it's more than double. I'm not sure this is a fair comparison
The comparison is how they will look if he sent to the wolves his first year - that is all

Fromm needs to sit he isn’t the Saviour of a franchise at this point - Haskins was rushed regardless of the team in front of him

I loved Fromm his freshman year even when he hit that roadblock known as Tua in the National Championship. Coming in for Eason and taking hold of that offense and not giving it up even when Eason was good to go showed he can take control and a command an offense even at a young age.

Last edited:
Not a fair comparison, Haskins has nowhere near the presnap ability of Fromm and never heard that Haskins has crazy intangibles. He put up huge numbers and came out during a weak class and was still taken in the teens. Even Sanchez proved enough to be taken in the top 5 by just as dysfunctional franchise as Haskins was.
These QBs need to sit and watch and learn - Few QBs can succeed immediately in the NFL - look at the Number of middling QBs who are supposed to carry franchises who should of sat their first year look at the class of 2018 - Rosen and all his buddies should have sat the intangibles if Murray and Lamar as a one read QB and take flight QBs -which is not fair to Murray because he will sit down in pocket - but the mobility is not an issue for these Guys who start early who can like Deshaun Watson

these first year stand up in the pocket QBs just get messed with by NFL d coordinators -

I honestly think that championship week and the playoffs will create a ton of buzz with QBs for this coming draft and 2021

Just look at this...

SEC Title game
Fromm vs Burrow - can Burrow light up yet another high regarded D? if he does he wins the Heisman and vaults to undisputed #1 territory. Can Fromm elevate and beat the hottest team in the country? If he leads them into the playoff what does this do for his status

Pac 12 title game
Herbert vs Huntley - Can Herbert push his team to the playoff and play big in the biggest game of his career to this point? If he does what does that do for him especially if it leads them to the playoff. Pressure could be very high if the early games make entry into the playoff possible with a win. Can Huntley win the big game and vault himself into the 2nd tier of Qbs for this draft

Playoffs (Semis): Option #1
LSU wins SEC #1 in playoff
Burrow vs Herbert? Bama? - Possible that top 2 healthy Qbs for 2020 play, who wins? and what impact does it have on the draft. Can Burrow continue his meteoric rise? Can Herbert show nay sayers he has the moxy to step up?

Lawrence vs Fields - winner take the mantle of clear #1 pick in 2021?

Semis option #2
If UGA Wins SEC #3 in playoff LSU #4
Fromm vs Lawrence - How does Fromm do against the champs who are rounding into form? Can he rise to the occasion and lead his team? What does Lawrence do with first real challenge of the year and a D that can go man for man? Does he continue to establish the legend and vault into untouchable possibly sit a year territory?

Burrow vs Fields - get your popcorn, NCAA makes new rule. First to 70 wins. Can Burrow recover and beat a vaunted and super talented D? Can Fields go blow for blow with Burrow? If he does does the debate start for who is better Lawrence/Fields?!?!?!

Semis Option #3
LSU wins SEC #1/ UTAH wins PAC 12 and gets #4

Burrow Vs Huntley - can the underdog rise up and take down the Heisman and put up to QB3 territory with questions to Tua?Does Burrow steamroll Utah and start the loan process on a place in Cincy?

Fields vs Lawrence - see above

Playoff (Possible Finals)

Option 1 outcomes

If LSU Wins
Burrow vs winner of Fields/Lawrence - WOW can Burrow make the greatest run through tough teams and QBs and finish the perfect season? If he does is he has to be undisputed #1 probably the clearest #1 in years he wont even have to touch a ball till minicamps. If the 2021 class wins let the debate begin and does talk of one of them sitting a year rise up with the Tua injury occurring?

If Oregon Wins
Herbert vs winner of Fields/Lawrence - Herbert took down the Heisman can he rise up to the 2021 class and play some nasty Ds to push himself into disputed #1 territory? Or does the rise of the 2021 class start early?

Option #2 outcomes

If UGA Wins
Fromm vs winner of Burrow/Fields - Fromm haven beaten Burrow and Lawrence in his last two games rides high going to New Orleans. Will he have to play Burrow again or have to beat the guy who transferred out of UGA? If Fromm wins that game is he QB2? If Burrow wins does he make #1 all but assured and if Fields wins does he jump to #1 in 2021?

If Clemson Wins
Lawrence vs winner of Burrow/Fields - Does Burrow make it through the 2021 class and hold the trophy and buy a condo in Cincy? or does 2021 class battle for superiority and winner goes into off season and next year as the clear #1?

Option #3

Huntley vs winner of Fields/Lawrence - Wait WHAT, Huntley leads the charge and beats LSU now he faces the creme of the crop in 2021 what does this do for his status if he wins these games. Fields or Lawrence win and that will push the conversation of who is the clear #1 and bring up talk of the 83' draft at the top.

HOLY CRAP please everyone hold serve till championship week.

Last edited:
Then you build your whole O around him and your back ups better run the same O

Lamar I love him to death want him to win a SB This Year but he takes hellacious hits and ask Kap and Cam how that worked out for them long term?
I don't know. At least Lamar Jackson can read a defense. The lack of that trait could hold Hurts back. I do like him. With the right coaching staff, and building the offense around him as you suggest, could work for a limited time like with Kap. Not sure it's long-term???

Back
Top Bottom