What young quarterback has succeeded…. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What young quarterback has succeeded….

This.

Then people just say "well it wasn't intercepted though!"

And my response is "You are right, but Im grading his decision making and what he controls, not the result"
Actually, someone might say that one of those passes was a deep pass on a free play. The fact that dude didn't mention that and you're not correcting him says more about your biases than those who respond to it.

There is no doubt our o line was terrible, but people really need to understand that o line performance and QB play are highly correlated.

It’s extremely difficult to tell when the QB is negatively effecting the O Line, but it’s absolutely true that it is a thing.

There’s a reason our o line looked better when Fitz was in. There’s a reason TB went from bad O line to best O line overnight when Brady got to town while changing nothing but getting one great linemen. QBs make o lines look better than they are, or worse than they are all the time.

This isn’t a Tua bash post, I still think there’s a chance he can succeed. But no more excuses, even if they are legitimate ones. 5th overall pick needs to elevate people around him.
I think we all understand that o line play and qb play are highly correlated...curious if you believe it works both ways?

It was extremely easy to tell that when Tua was in, the o line didn't look as horrible, so there is that.

So you pick 2 QB's with damn near 40 yrs. of NFL QB experience, to explain why the Fins o line looked better with Fitz in, and Brady with Gronk, Evens, Godwin, AB, Fornette etc made the Bucs o line better (with the addition of "one great lineman") compared to a young qb, barely with a handful games played, who did make his o line better and helped create a new NFL rookie reception record? ok

And sorry, until the o line gets at the very least competent, it's not an excuse...it's a reason and a legitimate one to boot. Especially since both of the QB's you mentioned has struggled in the past with bad o line play, it's only reasonable to expect a rook (basically) to come in and have struggles here and there all the while coming up one game short of making playoffs.

I have been saying this since RT...fix the damn o line, that's where it starts.

Tannehill was starting to flourish here before his injuries. It was clear when he came back with the brace he wasn't close to what he was directly before, but fans want to pretend his progression never happened here. It did, then it was massively derailed by multiple injuries.
1642095062340.png

"flourish"...

When their offensive line has given up the most pressures in the NFL, and has a bottom 3 rushing offense?

Can anyone help me find one in NFL history?

Russell Wilson a couple years ago.... Next question

If getting rid of the ball faster than anyone else in the league, and ending up the season with only 7 QBs taking less sacks than you are, isnt helping out the OL, what is?
Calling protections properly. Reading the field faster. Ability to evade rushers. Proper pocket movement. So many things.

In our situation, getting rid of the ball quickly is pretty clearly the OC helping the line out more than the QB. It’s all by design, not the QB ad libbing and making great decisions or buying tons of time in and out of the pocket. Getting the ball out quickly and not taking sacks means very little when the offense is terrible - doesn’t score points, can’t stay on the field. It just means the offense is designed to do that.

Mac Jones (ROOKIE) 2021 season stats:
22td
13int
92.5 rating

Tua Tagovailoa 2nd season( NOT ROOKIE)
16td
10int
90.1 rating

OK let excuses come now I’ve already got them all anticipated. There’s so many of them I’m not even going to bother typing them.

Mac Jones was sacked 28 times
Tua Tagovailoa sacked 20 times
New England must have a crappy line!

I think we all understand that o line play and qb play are highly correlated...curious if you believe it works both ways?

It was extremely easy to tell that when Tua was in, the o line didn't look as horrible, so there is that.

So you pick 2 QB's with damn near 40 yrs. of NFL QB experience, to explain why the Fins o line looked better with Fitz in, and Brady with Gronk, Evens, Godwin, AB, Fornette etc made the Bucs o line better (with the addition of "one great lineman") compared to a young qb, barely with a handful games played, who did make his o line better and helped create a new NFL rookie reception record? ok

And sorry, until the o line gets at the very least competent, it's not an excuse...it's a reason and a legitimate one to boot. Especially since both of the QB's you mentioned has struggled in the past with bad o line play, it's only reasonable to expect a rook (basically) to come in and have struggles here and there all the while coming up one game short of making playoffs.

I have been saying this since RT...fix the damn o line, that's where it starts.
I don’t think everyone understand that based on posts I read on here. Yes, it absolutely works both ways. That’s why I don’t expect over 300 yards and multiple TDs a game from Tua. But I do expect more than 200 yards and a TD.

The point in bringing up Fitz and Brady was not to say that’s how good Tua should have been (though I do think there’s a very legit argument no amount of experience should outweigh a 5th overall pick versus an old career journeyman). The point was just to illustrate that the QB has a large impact. You can ignore those comparisons since you agree with that anyhow, the examples weren’t meant for you.

Like I said, it’s an excuse for less than great play. It’s not an excuse for poor play.

I don’t recall him being labeled a generational type quarterback
Not many people here can recall what Steve Young was labeled at the time but any rate he was drafted first overall so somebody must have thought he was pretty good.

Mac Jones (ROOKIE) 2021 season stats:
22td
13int
92.5 rating

Tua Tagovailoa 2nd season( NOT ROOKIE)
16td
10int
90.1 rating

OK let excuses come now I’ve already got them all anticipated. There’s so many of them I’m not even going to bother typing them.

Mac Jones was sacked 28 times
Tua Tagovailoa sacked 20 times
New England must have a crappy line!
How about comparing both players first 17 games...

Calling protections properly. Reading the field faster. Ability to evade rushers. Proper pocket movement. So many things.

In our situation, getting rid of the ball quickly is pretty clearly the OC helping the line out more than the QB. It’s all by design, not the QB ad libbing and making great decisions or buying tons of time in and out of the pocket. Getting the ball out quickly and not taking sacks means very little when the offense is terrible - doesn’t score points, can’t stay on the field. It just means the offense is designed to do that.
I get all that... Its not rocket science... Lets forget QB for a second and focus on everything else on offense.

Worst ranked OL in the NFL
Worst running game in the NFL
Receivers bottom of the league at separation
Receivers 3rd to last in YAC
Receivers 3rd to last in drop%

Does this look like and offense that'll be in the top half of the league in scoring? Be honest...

Then why is Brissett's sack rate more than 50% higher than Tua's?

Imagine showing up to a message board of the team you supposedly follow and have to try so desperately to make **** up to get your point across.

As for the offense being terrible, it was better than 10 other offenses in the NFL with the worst line by far and the averages being pulled down by Brissett starts. Wonder why...

Back
Top Bottom