What’s The Difference Between Gase And Mcvay? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What’s The Difference Between Gase And Mcvay?

The problem with Gase is he’s stubborn. He likes trying to fit a square block into a round hole to prove what a genius he is. He won’t change his style for anyone.

Other than having a top 5 offensive line, a good defense, a top 5 defensive coordinator and a starting QB who has played more than 43% of the games? (18 out of 41)?

I would be hard pressed to make a comparison until McVay is forced to play 23 games with Sean Mannion behind a second string OL for at least 70% of those games AND with Joe Barry (assistant HC/LB's) running the defense.

Other than having a top 5 offensive line, a good defense, a top 5 defensive coordinator and a starting QB who has played more than 43% of the games? (18 out of 41)?

I would be hard pressed to make a comparison until McVay is forced to play 23 games with Sean Mannion behind a second string OL for at least 70% of those games AND with Joe Barry (assistant HC/LB's) running the defense.

"But GASE brought in those backups with the hopes of them playing 70% of the time."

McVay's team converts 3rd down at a much higher rate. The extra plays allows the running game to prosper. They had Gurley before Mcvay but they were worst in league at 3rd down which meant less running chances. With McVay they are top 10 in 3rd down and Gurley gets more chances.

Football isn't that hard. Convert the 3rd downs and everything improves.....

The most important difference is a monumental difference in the talent on the roster. The two biggest personnel weaknesses are the center and the QB. I am not sure if Goff is a weakness at this point. His OL and running game is so dominant that it is difficult to get a read. He definitely does not sabotage an effective offense which places well above the scrubs at QB. The Saints have a very good run defense, so I really should push him up the list. He definitely an above average QB.

McVay inherited the talent, so no credit there. He is using the offensive talent effectively. That is good.

Some of the people here are buying hard on Gase. If he were the coach of another team, he'd never feel this much love from the same posters.

Gase tries to force his plays on the opposition where McVay schemes his players open. Mentioning Gase in the same breath as McVay is a sin.

McVay has one of the three most talented rosters in the NFL. The team should be doing this well!! I give him credit for not messing it up, but let’s wait and see how he does in the postseason before elevating him as high as you do. I realize you are mad at Gase, but I believe you are exaggerating the situation.

McVay:
  • Rams are 8-1 this season
  • Record as head coach is 19-7
  • Gets the best out of his players
  • Quickly turned around the Rams after they were a bad team
  • Has transformed the Ram's offense into one of the best in the league
  • Offense which utilizes its personnel to their strengths
Gase:
  • Dolphins are 5-4 this season
  • Record as head coach is 21-21
  • Terrible play caller
  • Stubborn and unwilling to admit when he is wrong
  • Gets rid of talented players just because they aren't considered role models.
  • Offense that is not built upon the personnel's strengths
  • Neglects to hire quality coaching around him
  • Neglects to hire quality backups at key positions
  • Mostly throws personnel under the bus or makes excuses instead of taking blame

McVay has one of the three most talented rosters in the NFL. The team should be doing this well!! I give him credit for not messing it up, but let’s wait and see how he does in the postseason before elevating him as high as you do. I realize you are mad at Gase, but I believe you are exaggerating the situation.
He inherited Jeff Fisher's line-up. After which he:
  1. Drafted for his style and hit on picks.
  2. Spent money to get productive free agents to come over.
The year we were 10-6 the Rams were 4-12. IJS.

Some of the people here are buying hard on Gase. If he were the coach of another team, he'd never feel this much love from the same posters.

Gase tries to force his plays on the opposition where McVay schemes his players open. Mentioning Gase in the same breath as McVay is a sin.

Whilst a lot of people on this thread refer to the talent pool McVay has, I would argue every team has talented individuals on their roster. The real key & success is how to get the best out of them working as a team.

A lot of the talent McVay has now, Fisher also had the same individuals (admittedly in their early NFL years) but ask most Rams fans were not confident in Fisher taking that team far regardless of this talent.

Give credit where its due & taking out the talent pool discussion, watching McVay's schemes and gameplans week in, week out compared to Gase is night & day.

The Jets game win was painful and boring to watch & almost felt let like a loss considering it was the Jets & we really should be dominating that team. In comparison to the Rams loss to the Saints, the team was exciting & engaging to watch & it was football being played to win, not to wait for the other team to lose.

One HC is far more creative, innovative, aggressive & has got the players buying into his ethos of football, the other is simply out of his depth...I'll let you all decide which one is which.

McVay spent his money wisely. He hired a well respected DC who instantly change a very good 4-3 into devastating 3-4. He also commanded the respect of talented FA could minimize the dropoff.

Ross, on the other hand, had to overspend for all FA, leaving nothing $$$ for depth. Gase has no respect aside from Manning and even that is slowly ebbing.

Isn’t what McVay is doing with the Rams what Gase was supposed to be doing for Miami?

What’s the difference? Why is one becoming a “genius” and the other falling flat on his face?

How many time has Goff gone down?

Miami missed Tannehill all last season, and this season he got hurt as Miami was 3-1 and winning against Bengals.

How effective are the backups they've had to take over, just in case?

Miami had to make due with Over the hill players like Jay Cutler, and Matt Moore last year, and Brock Osweiler this year. You can say that was Gase's mistake ( And the Osweiler error I kind of agree), but Gase was a victim on players in the past that came through for him, who would you have taken? What makes you belief if Goff goes down, problems don't start occurring.

How badly have the Rams been hit with injuries?

The last two years, they have been pretty devastating for the Dolphins. What make you belief if key players started dropping from the Rams roster, that the Rams would not severely struggle?

Have there been many distractions for the Rams to deal with?

Last year Miami had to deal with a hurricane, a home sick LB, a substance sniffing coach, malcontent WR. True this year there have been no real distractions, but then again, before Miami lost Tannehill and a few other critical players...they were 3-1, alone in 1st place, beating the Bengals.

You can say Miami has been snake bitten,...have had a horrible run of bad luck... have made very short sighted decisions in places any team could have easily made as bad or worse decision, but blaming Gase with what he has had to deal with is shortsighted.

And Mike T was so awesome that he decided to help the Rams out by taking TJ McDonald, William Hayes and Robert Quinn off their hands (books).

Back
Top Bottom