What’s The Difference Between Gase And Mcvay? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What’s The Difference Between Gase And Mcvay?

I’m not asking why Gase’s offense isn’t number #1. I’m asking why it’s not respectable or at least average.

Gase has never been part of a good offensive staff. He had those 3 years with Peyton but he is his own offense system.

Gase was on a shitty Detroit team for 5 years, then went to a shitty SF team for a year, then a shitty Denver for 3 years before Peyton got there, then a shitty Chicago team for a year.

The narrative that he is a good offensive mind is so out of touch. Once he gets fired from Miami I doubt he gets another HC position and will probably not get hired as an OC directly.

I’m not asking why Gase’s offense isn’t number #1. I’m asking why it’s not respectable or at least average.

Gase sucks at route combinations and formations, McVay schemes people open consistently. McVay threatens all levels of the field plays to his players strengths. Gase is 10 yards or less and a lot of passing towards the sidelines. Gase has absolutely no feel for the ebb and flow of a game and is bad at adjusting early. He’s overly conservative while McVay is pedal to the metal. I get that mcvay has a much more talented roster but when you watch his game tape you think guru, creative , aggressive. All things you never think about Gase.

The talent difference is real, no doubt, but, as an OC, McVay does a number of things that Gase doesn't.

* McVay schemes open his receivers/puts Lb's and DB's in compromising situations.
* McVay pushes the ball deep.
* To do this, he uses a lot of play action on base downs, and when passing from under center, he uses play action more than any other coach in the league.
* One play complements the next
* His passing game sets up his running game. I love Todd Gurley, but Malcolm Brown is averaging 5.1 YPC vs Gurley's 4.8. Of course, that doesn't mean Brown is as good, and that efficiency wouldn't likely hold up in Gurley's situation, but through scheme and personnel, McVay gives his RB's very favorable situations and light boxes.

Not sure if you could necessarily say that McVay is the better coach, but his team seems more disciplined than Miami as well. That's usually the sign of a well coached team.

Either McVay is or isn't a better coach than Gase...

Maybe the difference is McVay wouldn't sign any of those guys to his team. I seem to recall this being the roster that Gase built.

Yeah and he's 2-2 with brock which is pretty good with a backup but people are trying to compare McVay's offense to Gase's which is the point. Give McVay a backup QB and a couple backup olinemen and lets see that offense.

Yeah and he's 2-2 with brock which is pretty good with a backup but people are trying to compare McVay's offense to Gase's which is the point. Give McVay a backup QB and a couple backup olinemen and lets see that offense.

Of the 18 Tannehill/Gase starts the team has scored more than McVays teams AVERAGE points ZERO times.

(777 points /25 games 31.08ppg)

Gase couldn’t hold McVays jock. -167 point differential for Gase =genius)

Of the 18 Tannehill/Gase starts the team has scored more than McVays teams AVERAGE points ZERO times.

(777 points /25 games 31.08ppg)

Gase couldn’t hold McVays jock. -167 point differential for Gase =genius)

I clearly stated McVay is on another planet compared to other coaches. In my mind he's the next belicheck, but firing Gase because he doesn't live up to that is kinda not smart. It like all SEC schools firing their coaches because they can't beat Saban. When Gase has had Thill we are a pretty good team. Not world beaters but a good team.

The talent difference is real, no doubt, but, as an OC, McVay does a number of things that Gase doesn't.

* McVay schemes open his receivers/puts Lb's and DB's in compromising situations.
* McVay pushes the ball deep.
* To do this, he uses a lot of play action on base downs, and when passing from under center, he uses play action more than any other coach in the league.
* One play complements the next
* His passing game sets up his running game. I love Todd Gurley, but Malcolm Brown is averaging 5.1 YPC vs Gurley's 4.8. Of course, that doesn't mean Brown is as good, and that efficiency wouldn't likely hold up in Gurley's situation, but through scheme and personnel, McVay gives his RB's very favorable situations and light boxes

^^^^^

Either McVay is or isn't a better coach than Gase...
I think the jury is still out so to speak. If Gase were coaching the Rams, I think his record would be similar to McVay's. But there is no way to know that for sure. I will say since he's been in Miami, the Dolphins have had a lot of crucial injuries that have held the team back beginning with Tannehill.

McVay is a talented coach, no doubt about that. He’s also been fortunate to get into a situation to coach a team with a TON of talent on both sides of the ball the acquire even more talent on top of it.

Gase has a winning record with Matt Moore, Jay Cutler, and Brock Osweiler at the helm for more than half of the games he’s been the HC of. That’s quite a feat if you honestly look at it.

Get a good/healthy OL and this team will be the 3-0 team we saw to start the season much more of the time.

McVay calls a better game - he also has a better qb.

Gase has dealt with Cutler/Osweiler.

Still I think if they switch shops McVay's team outperforms Gase's. McVay makes his offense look like a god damn machine.

Back
Top Bottom