when people talk about marino...... | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

ch19079 said:
you dont know what marino on the 49ers team COULD have done. maybe if montana was on the fins he would have got them a SB ring. we dont know. thats all speculation. if marino had all those weapons and a running game, would he have the record numbers? would he have won the SB? who knows. all we know is what they did. and you base everything off of what they did. marino did not get it done when it mattered most. not what they could have, or would have, done. all his records and all his stats are nice, but they dont play football for stats. they play to be the NFL champs.

Um, yes they do.... Its called canton Ohio, FHF. Football Hall of Fame. Your are mistaken.

Marino...best Passer of all time, and that is not debateable. But I have to give the nod to Montana and Elway first, and then Marino 3rd in my humble opinion. I know that it is not a popular opinion here, but if you look at non biased polls anywhere else they always have marino below montana and elway. :)

Justasportsfan said:
Pele was/is the greatest football/soccer player to ever play the game. Not only did he score but he also made the players around him better to win world cups.

The ability to win big games is part of what makes players great. That's why most coaches who were asked if they had to choose a qb who would they want, most of them picked Montana, Elway and Brady :barf: because of their ability to do so. Great passers like Manning and Marino were barely even mentioned.

What did all 3 of them have in common .... A BALANCED ATTACK!!

Elway never won anything without the league-leading rusher Terrell Davis. Montana only had Rice, Taylor, Rathman, Clark & Craig!!!

Check out the running backs Marino had ... it is a joke!

SB Rings & greatness is the most over-hyped BS thrown out there by the media!

I am not saying "Hands-Down ... Marino is the greatest"!!!! I am just saying that you are comparing apples to oranges. How possibly can they be evenly compared when the offensive burden lies more on one then the others.

:D

DolphinDD Ctown said:
SB Rings & greatness is the most over-hyped BS thrown out there by the media!
It might be overhyped but that's what the majority who are mostly neutral fans and not finfans or 49'er fans make their basis from.

So tell me, is Marino a better playoff and superbowl player than Montana? No one can answer that without speculating but people can say Monatana was a great sb qb and can back it up with facts.

Justasportsfan said:
It might be overhyped but that's what the majority who are mostly neutral fans and not finfans or 49'er fans make their basis from.

So tell me, is Marino a better playoff and superbowl player than Montana? No one can answer that without speculating but people can say Monatana was a great sb qb and can back it up with facts.

How possibly can someone compare that ... think about what you are asking ... here is what is not equal:

Duper, Clayton vs Rice, Taylor, Clark = ADV 49ers
Fins subpar RB vs Craig & Rathman = ADV 49ers

Duper & Clayton were good, but Rice is probably the best ever! It is also a very different scenario when you can't keep a defense honest with the run.

When a team played the Fins they knew what to expect ... a heavy dose of MARINO. And he came one game short of winning the whole damn thing! That, my friend, is what I call greatness!

What you can speculate on is RAW talent at the position ... imagine Montana on the Fins & Marino on the Niners ... would Montana do the same with less talent ... THAT IS THE TRUE QUESTION.

My guess ... & it is only a guess ... is NO. Marino relied less on his teamates than Montana did. That is a fact. Go back & watch some of those old games.

:cooldude:

Wagon Circler said:
What defines the great quarterbacks from the best in the NFL is a ring. Being a quarterback is more than stats. The quarterback is the leader of the team. To be considered as one of the best, a qb has to lead to his team to the big game and win. Runningbacks don't lead teams to championships, so using Barry Sanders as example just doesn't work.

See, this is what f*cking gauls me about other fans' opinions about Dan Marino. What you people fail to realize is that Dan was on many teams that had no business being in the postseason or even close to .500 for that matter (see late 80s Miami teams), they had no running game or defense. But, just because Marino was there, the Dolphins remained a competitive force in the NFL. If one player can keep an entire franchise afloat, he should be considered one of the best. By the way, you Billy Goat B!tch, if you're gonna talk about winning Super Bowls, go talk to your boy Jim Kelly :lol:

Justasportsfan said:
Pele was/is the greatest football/soccer player to ever play the game. Not only did he score but he also made the players around him better to win world cups.

The ability to win big games is part of what makes players great. That's why most coaches who were asked if they had to choose a qb who would they want, most of them picked Montana, Elway and Brady :barf: because of their ability to do so. Great passers like Manning and Marino were barely even mentioned.

DUDE. RIGHT NOW IF I HAD TO PCIK BETWEEN PEYTON, MONTANA, or ELWAY. I pick PEYTON.

Justasportsfan said:
So Brady :barf: isn't really a good qb because it was BB who was the engineer of their sb wins, PERIOD? :confused:

No but the fact that he won those superbowls don't make him better than say Payton.

Of couse I am a Homer but many of the most respected authorities including former star quarterbacks have stated that Dan Marino was the best pure passer in history.

So he didnt have a SB ring but who would you rather have when you are behind with 2 mins to go and the game on the line.

Well, if having a ring makes you the greatest at your position....

Jeff Hostettler and Trent Dilfer are getting ready to pose for their busts in Canton.

If we extrapolate that out to other positions, that means that Bruce Smith was an OK player while Bill Stanfil from our 1972 undefeated team must have been a far better player because his team won two rings.

Barry Sanders isn't nearly as good at Tim Smith (won the SB with the Redskins as a Rookie in case you forgot him)

Anthony Munoz was a bust because he couldn't get his team to the SB. However, Wayne Moore who played on our undefeated team that won the SB should be in the HOF instead of Munoz.

Is this the stupidest line of logic you've every heard? You bet.

Wagon Circler said:
You are still missing the point. The best qb of all time isn't measured by just stats. You can still be great and have glory, but you cannot be the best qb of all time without the hardware.

Who says,you?? WHAT YOU THINK DOES NOT MATTER!! :evil:

Mr Kelly was a great field general.lmao....

Justasportsfan said:

exactly..:)

though i think marino hadn't a good enough team around him so him could make that good team into a champion team, maybe the SB team we lost to SF..

Back
Top Bottom