when people talk about marino...... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

SCall13 said:
Montana WAS a system QB. He was good - not great.
there goes you credibility.

Every poll out there had Montana as the greatest. They even called him the greatest during last years sb when he was interviewed. Like I stated early, present coaches picked him more than any qb. Brady was even chosen more than marino.

Justasportsfan said:

Every poll out there had Montana as the greatest. They even called him the greatest during last years sb when he was interviewed. Like I stated early, present coaches picked him more than any qb. Brady was even chosen more than marino.

i have heard NFL people say Montana was a system QB, "just like Brady" (if i remember correctly).

and im sure there are a few polls that dont have montana #1.. :D

Montana was a decent qb, in a great system, and just happened to have undoubtedly the greatest reciever in nfl history(jerry rice). Even I could throw the ball 5 yards to Rice and let him run the rest of the way for a td. Since you need a ring to be considered one of the best than i guess Dilfer and Johson must be better than Marino right? Dan played his position better than EVERYONE else at that position, therefore making him the greatest qb ever to play the game. End of discusion, have a nice day all you Marino haters.

Justasportsfan said:

The fact that Brady was chosen more than Marino is just the same case as people picking Montana over Marino. People seem to think that a SB is the measure of greatness. Let's see: Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Steve Young, Joe Namath(pffft), Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson. All of these guys must be better than Dan too- at least by that logic. The Super Bowl argument is B.S. For it to be true about Montana, it would have to be true also for the other QBs listed above.
The REAL truth is, it takes a TEAM to win a SB and the QBs above(and other QBs that have won) prove it. By your and other peoples logic, all Super Bowl winning QBs would have to be better than Dan Marino. If you (or anyone else who believes that way) say differently, then you(and the rest) are a hypocrite.

and the only reason anyone would pick montana or brady over marino is because of the rings, and thats what everyone wants. that still doesn't mean marino wasn't the greatest qb to ever play.if marino had a decent defence or running game he could have a ring or two himself.

SCall13 said:
The fact that Brady was chosen more than Marino is just the same case as people picking Montana over Marino. People seem to think that a SB is the measure of greatness. Let's see: Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Steve Young, Joe Namath(pffft), Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson. All of these guys must be better than Dan too- at least by that logic. The Super Bowl argument is B.S. For it to be true about Montana, it would have to be true also for the other QBs listed above.
The REAL truth is, it takes a TEAM to win a SB and the QBs above(and other QBs that have won) prove it. By your and other peoples logic, all Super Bowl winning QBs would have to be better than Dan Marino. If you (or anyone else who believes that way) say differently, then you(and the rest) are a hypocrite.
It's because they are basing their opinion on hard facts and not what if's.
Manning has broken Dan's TD record and barring injuries will continue to break some more PASSING records. If Manning never sniffs a sb but goes on to break records would that make him the best qb because of PASSING?

We can all speculate who's better but it's pretty obvious that the opinion of the majority points to Montana. Like I said, there are other criterias other than just passing when judging a qb. Dan is the greatest passer.

Justasportsfan said:
I agree that Dan wasn't in the best situation. However, part of the knock on Marino is that he wasn't a natural leader. Meaning, it was all about him. He never accepted responsibility for his mistakes but got in the face of his teamates when they did. He didn't bring out the best in the players that surrounded him. There's no doubt he had the talent, the arm.He isn't IMO a better leader than Montana. The qb position is not just about passing, leadership is an even bigger factor.

Gotta have the horses to lead. He was considered by many as the fiersest competator of all time. He wanted to win SO bad that he expected the best out of all his teammates. I disagree with not bringing out the best in his players. I think he did bring out the best and that's why they got as far as they always did. He just didn't have the supporting cast. You gotta have the horses.

Justasportsfan said:
It's because they are basing their opinion on hard facts and not what if's.
Manning has broken Dan's TD record and barring injuries will continue to break some more PASSING records. If Manning never sniffs a sb but goes on to break records would that make him the best qb because of PASSING?

We can all speculate who's better but it's pretty obvious that the opinion of the majority points to Montana. Like I said, there are other criterias other than just passing when judging a qb. Dan is the greatest passer.

So if Dan is the greatest passer, does the other criteria that determines the best consist of who hands the ball off better? :shakeno: Gimme a break.
Marino had it all - he had everything it took to be great. And he was just that: GREAT -THE GREATEST. Bill Walsh, Montana's own coach has said Marino was the better QB. Shula, who coached both Unitas(another in the argument of the greatest) and Marino and said Marino was easily better.

SCall13 said:
So if Dan is the greatest passer, does the other criteria that determines the best consist of who hands the ball off better? :shakeno: Gimme a break.
Marino had it all - he had everything it took to be great. And he was just that: GREAT -THE GREATEST. Bill Walsh, Montana's own coach has said Marino was the better QB. Shula, who coached both Unitas(another in the argument of the greatest) and Marino and said Marino was easily better.
Montana could make plays with his leg and most of his biggest plays were made in the SB. What has DAn done in the SB to say he's a big game player like Montana or Brady? You have nothing. Go ahead and use his sb appearance nos. if you dare.

Like I said your opinions are based on what he's done throughout his regular and playoff nos. Not SB nos. He doesn't have a proven big game record like Montana or Brady. You can speculate that he could do this and that but in the end it's speculation.

Justasportsfan said:
Montana could make plays with his leg and most of his biggest plays were made in the SB. What has DAn done in the SB to say he's a big game player like Montana or Brady? You have nothing. Go ahead and use his sb appearance nos. if you dare.

Like I said your opinions are based on what he's done throughout his regular and playoff nos. Not SB nos. He doesn't have a proven big game record like Montana or Brady. You can speculate that he could do this and that but in the end it's speculation.

What you're saying is just as speculative: suggesting that Marino wouldn't have done well. :shakeno: It takes a team to win a SB and it also takes a TEAM to GET THERE.
Bills fans like trying to dog Marino because your TEAM was a bunch of choke artists. If Marino was on the Bills, you'd be on the same side of this argument as I am. (Yes, of course you will deny this)

SCall13 said:
What you're saying is just as speculative: suggesting that Marino wouldn't have done well. :shakeno: It takes a team to win a SB and it also takes a TEAM to GET THERE.
Bills fans like trying to dog Marino because your TEAM was a bunch of choke artists. If Marino was on the Bills, you'd be on the same side of this argument as I am. (Yes, of course you will deny this)
Monatan and sb's are not speculations. Marino and sb's is exept for 1 season.

what does this have to do w/ the bills? Why turn it into smack? I'm a bills fan and not a 9'ers fan. Like I said every poll out there has Montana as the greatest. No all who voted were bills fan who voted for Montana just to spite you guys.

For you to even say that Montana was good but not great when the majority of the football nation says Monatana was/is the greatest means your opinions are based on your being a finfan. :rolleyes:
I could've accepted Monatana was great but not the greatest, but GOOD not great? :roflmao: Get real.

I Want To Make A Point About Rings And Stats Tell Me Something If Jerry Rice Didnt Have Any Sb Rings Who Would Be The Greatest Wr???
I Dont Care If Its The Wr Position He Doesnt Play 11 Vs 1 He Needs The Qb To Throw Him The Ball.
If You Wanna Go Ring Thing You Haters Better Rank Marino Like 200th Cause Thats About How Many Qb's Have A Ring. Oh But Wait A Minute Everyone Would Think Your Crazy To Rank Marino So Low, But Wait Its Your Theory No Ring No Glory So Assumingly So I'd Love To Have T.dilfer, P.simms, J.hostetler,d.williams,m.rypien. Please Give Me A Break And If The Sb Ring Is So Important Then Why Is He Ahead Always Of Bradshaw Or Aikman??? People Rethink Your Statement Cause They Hold No Water Why Isnt Montana,bradshaw,brady,and Aikman Those Should Be Best Qb's Ever Correct To Your Accounts. See Your Statements About Leader This And That Don't Hold Water Cause By Most Marino Is Top 3 Qb Ever To Play But For People Who Think He Wasnt Great Cause He Didnt Have A Ring Well About 200 Qb's Have One Does That Make Them Better Than Marino. I Live In Las Vegas If Marino Was On A Team Like The 49ers,broncos,packers,or The 85 Bears Team Marino Destroyed On Mnf. Betting On The Dolphins Would Be Illegal.

Justasportsfan said:
Best all around qb Montana.

Best passer ,Marino.

:up:

WTF? How can you be better all around QB, passing is the name of the game for a QB? You admit, marino is the best passer ever, but not the best alla round? What more is there for a QB? Oh ya, solicit input from your players. That shows how great he was he couldnt even decifer the D's. You admit he was a numb skull, but yet, still deny Marino. OK. :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom