when people talk about marino...... | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

when people talk about marino......

SCall13 said:
Nothing stupid about the truth. He was always hurt when it was convenient for him to be.
Personal story about Kelly: I used to work at a radio station in Charleston, SC. Jim Kelly, Thurmon Thomas, Phil Hanson and several other past and (at the time) present NFL players came to do a charity event to raise money for children. Well, we played a celebrity softball game. It was us(the radio station and affiliate TV station) against them. Well, Kelly had three at bats and he flew out once and grounded out twice. He practically threw a temper tantrum and made ridiculous excuses about his at bats and made a complete idiot out of himself in front of a lot of people. He was a jerk. The big topper was the way he treated the little kids that day and that night at the memorabilia auction we had. I disliked Kelly before then and really hated him after that day.
But none of this has anything to do with him playing hurt. But it shows what type of character he had. NONE.

By the way: Thurman Thomas was very cool. And man he had a good looking woman with him. Kelly was dating a news lady down there at the time. Her name was Nancy Humphries. She was later married to someone else and became Nancy O'Dell. She was the one on Access Hollywood.

dont be so quick to pull that trigger. team loyalty is blinding you. Marino was as arrogant as they come. He knew he was good, and it showed. I really enjoyed watching him play, but they all have bad days, as do we. I dont think any QB was as arrogant as Dan. Rightfully so, he was the GOAT!

LithoMan said:
WTF? How can you be better all around QB, passing is the name of the game for a QB? You admit, marino is the best passer ever, but not the best alla round? What more is there for a QB?
there is a lot more to a QB than passing.

"the QB gets all the glory, and all the blame"... its true. if a team looses, people say its the QBs fault. sucks for him, but thats the nature of the position. "he couldnt lead them to victory"....

LithoMan said:
I love it. Montana lead his team to SB wins. Nah, that wouldn't be the genius mind of bill Walsh, nah, he aint got nothing to do with it.
your saying its the system and/or the coaches.

thats why i say montana is not the best. but dont tell that to those fans who think montana is the best ever.

but just because montana is not the best, does NOT mean that marino is the best..

LithoMan said:
WTF? How can you be better all around QB, passing is the name of the game for a QB? You admit, marino is the best passer ever, but not the best alla round? What more is there for a QB? :
Leadership. The ability to make great plays in the biggest game of them all. Moving in the pocket when you have to. How about changing plays when you have to.

Kelly was/is considered one of the biggest chokers in the biggest game. Marino could never be considered a sb choker because he only made it once. If Kelly won a couple his name would be up there.

Based on the logic of Marino had no help, if the bills had a better kicker than Norwood and Bruce Smith had more help trying to overcome the Cowboys dominating OL, opinions would be different. But no, we got beat therefore we are chokers.

SB rings doesn't make you the best qb it's what you do in the sb. No one mentioned Aikman no? Inspite of all his rings everyone can see he wasn't as good as Montana. What about Young? He's got rings, but no one will say he or Aikman better than Marino.

Wagon Circler said:
What ifs don't determine great Qb's. Saying Montana wasn't great is clearly asinine.

If the situation was reversed and the dolphins won the titles under Marino, but Montana had better career stats would you consider Montana better than Marino? No.

Yes, I would. But, even though you admit Montana had, Taylor, Rice, Craig and on and on, he still couldnt achieve what Marino did, and they played just as long. So, you tell me, with out all that gold and diamonds on his fingers, he wouldnt be jack.

If Montana had achieved more in the way of stats, I would agree all day long. But, even on a more prolific team, he still couldnt amass what dan did in Florida. So you tell me, should I admit Montana was better.

Better team, better head coach, and still couldnt do what Dan did.

LithoMan said:
I love it. Montana lead his team to SB wins. Nah, that wouldn't be the genius mind of bill Walsh, nah, he aint got nothing to do with it.

I don't get it. Walsh get's credit . What about Shula? Are you saying he was a dumb coach?

Justasportsfan said:
Monatan and sb's are not speculations. Marino and sb's is exept for 1 season.

what does this have to do w/ the bills? Why turn it into smack? I'm a bills fan and not a 9'ers fan. Like I said every poll out there has Montana as the greatest. No all who voted were bills fan who voted for Montana just to spite you guys.

For you to even say that Montana was good but not great when the majority of the football nation says Monatana was/is the greatest means your opinions are based on your being a finfan. :rolleyes:
I could've accepted Monatana was great but not the greatest, but GOOD not great? :roflmao: Get real.

I stick by MY OPINION: Montana was good not great. The prodcut of a system that every QB after him looked just as good in. Am I wrong about that? Look at the QBs who came after him. They all looked like another Montana. It was the system. PERIOD.

Justasportsfan said:
there goes you credibility.

Every poll out there had Montana as the greatest. They even called him the greatest during last years sb when he was interviewed. Like I stated early, present coaches picked him more than any qb. Brady was even chosen more than marino.

Thats because most coaches are "my way or the highway". They dont like a QB that can do it on his own, they might get "away" from the coaches principles. Much like Vick, they tried to tame him, new coaching staff brought in. And they tried to tame him again, but by week 6, the rheins were released. and he tore it up. More then likely, when its all over and done, vick wont have a ring either. But, at the same time, I aint going to take a thing away from him.

I so wish Marino would of went to minnesota, just to make you all eat your "wheres his rings?".

Oh well, woulda shoulda coulda's all day long. Montana didnt look to pretty in KC though. Thats about all I got to say on Montana for now, unless you keep pushing that non sense.

Justasportsfan said:
I don't get it. Walsh get's credit . What about Shula? Are you saying he was a dumb coach?

Shula was a good coach. But his devotion to Tom Olividatti is what cost Marino several Super Bowl rings. Olividatti was a JOKE. And his defensive schemes were as big a problem, and even bigger at times, than the lack of defensive talent we had.

finnyboy002 said:
Absolutely QB's lead, and since Dan Marino led his team to the Superbowl and a boat-load of seasons in the upper echelon on the NFL WITHOUT a running game and WITHOUT a defence that is more impressive to me than Montana with a stacked team winning Super Bowls. Marino on the 49ers wins as many if not more SB's than Montana.
you dont know what marino on the 49ers team COULD have done. maybe if montana was on the fins he would have got them a SB ring. we dont know. thats all speculation. if marino had all those weapons and a running game, would he have the record numbers? would he have won the SB? who knows. all we know is what they did. and you base everything off of what they did. marino did not get it done when it mattered most. not what they could have, or would have, done. all his records and all his stats are nice, but they dont play football for stats. they play to be the NFL champs.

Justasportsfan said:
It's because they are basing their opinion on hard facts and not what if's.
Manning has broken Dan's TD record and barring injuries will continue to break some more PASSING records. If Manning never sniffs a sb but goes on to break records would that make him the best qb because of PASSING?

We can all speculate who's better but it's pretty obvious that the opinion of the majority points to Montana. Like I said, there are other criterias other than just passing when judging a qb. Dan is the greatest passer.

Thats because you and others base your opinion of Montana being the GOAT, on him being in the greatest O of all time, when most teams had no clue how to defense it. So, one, he had the O that 90% of the coaches were to stupid to know how to defense. Two, he had the best receiver of all time, and Montana didn't make him! He earned it all around the league, and after Montana. Three, not to shabby of a supporting cast besides Rice.

i love how the principles of the west coast get lost in the whole scenario, since Bill Walsh is never mentioned. I like how half the NFL HC have come out of the SF organization, and no one equates that back to Walsh. That shows it was the system, and not the QB. It was and still is a hot commodity, to run the west coast. There is a reason for that. See, Shanny, two rings. Holmgren, one ring, seifert one ring, and on and on.....

So you can babble all day about Montana, but the fellas have got you by the short hairs. Montana is and will always be a system QB. PERIOD. JUST LIKE BRADY. But, BB is not know for his O prowess, he is known for his hybrid D. And that is what he will always be known for. You never answered my ? about how close are the Patty's wins turn out to be. Brady dont sign, I bet BB dont flinch, and replaces Brady. Kraft wont like it, because of merchandise sales, but BB wins with his d, and wont tie loads of cash up on Brady. Then,we get to watch some franchise chase the rings, and get beotch slapped!!!! When he falls on his face. Say it with me, S Y S T E M QB!

Justasportsfan said:
Leadership. The ability to make great plays in the biggest game of them all. Moving in the pocket when you have to. How about changing plays when you have to.

Kelly was/is considered one of the biggest chokers in the biggest game. Marino could never be considered a sb choker because he only made it once. If Kelly won a couple his name would be up there.

Based on the logic of Marino had no help, if the bills had a better kicker than Norwood and Bruce Smith had more help trying to overcome the Cowboys dominating OL, opinions would be different. But no, we got beat therefore we are chokers.

SB rings doesn't make you the best qb it's what you do in the sb. No one mentioned Aikman no? Inspite of all his rings everyone can see he wasn't as good as Montana. What about Young? He's got rings, but no one will say he or Aikman better than Marino.

Young is one hell of a football player. I would of taken him anyday of the week, and twice on Sunday! If there was any other QB I wasnted leading my team, it was Steve Young. He didnt earnt he highest passing percentage for a career, but dumb luck. That guy could make plays all day long. And, while I agree, a mobile QB is good to have, Marino could deliver the ball in the blink of an eye, he didnt have too scramble.

That assanine statement one of you Bills fans made, of changing the play at the LOS, are you freakin kidding me. Thats whay got marino in trouble with JJ. Marino constantly done it, because the ground game was horrible, and he would audible to a successful pass play. And, make a team eat the run stuff. JJ, was the quintasencial "ball control" freak. He was a system man, and if you didnt play his system, it was bah bye. Many think Marino was washed up, he was far from that. JJ stripped him of his tools.

im still waiting for the day, when we get to see brady go play somewhere else. hopefully sooner then later, so we dont get the "he should of retired years ago" comment. Then, he will look like Montana in KC. The turd he was. Without the system, they are a flop.

Back
Top Bottom