Where are todays Joey bashers? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where are todays Joey bashers?

brandon27 said:
Just curious... because there were a thousand threads last week during a poor team effort where he threw two picks.

I'm not even going to come close to saying Joey is the answer, but you really do have to look at his performance this week, compared to last and go... wow... who sat him down and taught him to play QB with some intelligence? didnt take stupid sacks, didnt make many stupid throws, made smart decisions, made some nice plays, threw it away when he was in trouble, or nobody was open... he actually played like a QB should today. Lets face it, he's not as bad as everyone says and thinks. He'll be a good QB for someone, somewhere, sometime.

I guess its just another one of those situations eh? When he has a decent game, lets not talk about him. When he has an off game, throws a few picks, lets get on him... even if they win.

I dont get it. While i'd like to see more improvement from him. He's a Dolphin this year. He's our starter now. He's the guy we need to get behind and support, not trash!

Great win today though!

The Joey Bashers probably didn't bother posting on Finheaven today, after Harrington's poor performance last week helped clinch a playoff free post-season. That's just a hunch as to where the Joey bashers are THIS week.
He did a solid job today though...its true.

Dolphins=LIFE said:
Joey has won what, 5 of his last 6 against some pretty good or at least decent teams (minus Detroit). I think he is better suited for this offensive scheme than Culpepper, much like Booker is a better suited WR for this offense than Chambers. I don't need to see flashy players and numbers every week, and cute little endzone celebrations, what I like to see is wins. And, with this team, Joey is producing them, against some good teams. I'm not saying he's singlehandedly the cause for the wins, but he does play well in them. I don't see why people want to bail on him when he genuinely IS getting better each week. I'd rather not switch back QBs yet again at the start of next season. It ruins any chemistry the team is gaining now winning these games.

How exactly is this offense getting better? Joey is doing the same stuff he has been doing all year. And to a certain extent, these are the same things he has done his whole career. We obviously have a better team than the Lions ever did while he was there. But he still throws more INTs than TDs. He still has an average completion %. And his YPA is still decent at best. Those are all things he did while in Detroit. The difference now is that he is on a team with an outstanding defense that has been dominating oppenents for the past 5 out of 6 weeks. The defense is the big reason we have won games lately. The offense is still ineffective and near the bottom of the league in points scored. Joey simply has been called on to not make mistakes. He hasn't shown me enough to make me think a healthier Culpepper can't be better. This is all irrelivent right now anyways. I say we save this discussion for the offseason and enjoy the great play of our defense right now.

JH had a solid game today and I think the play calling made things much easier for him. He did what I expect a backup Qb to do: manage the game. I think the Booker Td was a little lucky ( Hawkins should have made the play) but overall Joey limited his mistakes today.
When the defense plays as they did today, the Dolphins are going to be in every game, regardless of who they play.

ckparrothead said:
It was a poor decision, but even poorer defense by Hawkins. The ball actually hit Hawkins FIRST before it dribbled into Booker's hands.

On the other hand, that deep pass to Booker where Booker really made an incredible catch, was an incredibly well thrown ball.

I know the difference, I can see the difference, I'm perfectly capable of giving Harrington credit when credit is due, and I still say that TD was a bail-out TD.

There was also another play where I smirked when I realized that Joey's inability to throw an accurate ball actually bailed out his inability to make safe decisions with the football...when he misfired on that pass to Booker where the announcer even commented that Asante Samuel was ready to undercut and intercept the ball.

Do good QBs do these things once in a while? Absolutely. But Joey does them too often to be considered a good QB.

I have the game taped, I'll take a look at the TD pass again. I thought it was clean first eye test but I'LL look at it again. On the one where the commentator said he was undercutting the throw it looked to me like Harrington changed his delivery at the last second to avoid the pick. I'll look again later tonight after the Jets game - GO BILLS!

adamprez2003 said:
I have the game taped, I'll take a look at the TD pass again. I thought it was clean first eye test but I'LL look at it again. On the one where the commentator said he was undercutting the throw it looked to me like Harrington changed his delivery at the last second to avoid the pick. I'll look again later tonight after the Jets game - GO BILLS!

He did.. If he threw it where the receiver could catch it then a likey reult would have been an INT.

2413fanphins said:
If all you want you QB to do is manage games you will end up as an average team who makes the playoffs once in a while and never goes deep into them.
A qb is the most important position on the team. He HAS to be a playmaker. PERIOD.

nice post.

joey harrington is not a playmaker. PERIOD.

time for the fanboy homers to take of the aqua colored glasses and put down the orange kool-aid.

harrington is a good backup.

dplunk said:
The reason people don't talk about Joey when he plays decent games is because even then, the offense doesn't score many points. He did play decent today, but that is about it. He still doesn't look to throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield. And when he does, it is inaccurate more than often. While our defense is very good, they aren't good enough for us to win consistently while our offense is ineffective.

Have you watched our defense? Man, with a defense like ours all you need is a game manager you dont need a superstar at QB. And the best part is we'll be even better next year on defense. If we get a LB and CB we may have the number 1 defense next year. We dont need Marino.

FiN.in.RI said:
He did.. If he threw it where the receiver could catch it then a likey reult would have been an INT.

Perhaps he did, I don't think visual evidence is going to tell you what his decision making process was on it.

But considering his record of poor accuracy, it is at the very least plausible that he just missed the throw.

And, if he were deciding to throw the ball away, I can think of a few better places to throw it than into an area where there are multiple defenders...

Bad decision because no matter what he could have done something either more constructive or less risky with the ball, no matter what we try to project on him about his decision making process during the throw (which we can't possibly pretend to know).

Some of you guys would not be happy if Dan Marino was in there in his prime. :mad:

adamprez2003 said:
Have you watched our defense? Man, with a defense like ours all you need is a game manager you dont need a superstar at QB. And the best part is we'll be even better next year on defense. If we get a LB and CB we may have the number 1 defense next year. We dont need Marino.

Assuming the defense stays as they are.

This is flawed thinking, IMO.

As good as this defense was today, they could have used the offense putting up some points against the likes of Jacksonville and Green Bay.

That kind of thinking is what gets you early playoff exits and Jay Fiedlers. The most dangerous enemy of 'great' is 'good'.

ckparrothead said:
It's a matter of how you choose to look at it. I view each throw as a decision and execution. How was the decision, and how was the execution.

On that one incomplete to Booker, his execution and his decision were both bad.

On that TD to Booker his decision was bad but his execution was good.

On other plays he executed well but the play ended up bad.

On the Chambers pop-up he had a good decision and good execution...but the play ended up in a pick anyway.

On the other hand, on the three other pop-up picks his decisions were good, but the execution was bad...and the plays ended with picks.

Considering everyone keeps talking about what "could have" been w/ regard to those four pop-up interceptions (ie. "if it hits your hands you should catch it") then I don't see why anyone makes a big thing about me talking about poor decisions that "could have" resulted in interceptions.
For me personally I've become accustomed to facts in your post. Like I've said earlier, your posts never lack hard core facts(prior to the one being discussed). I'm all for the coulda, woulda, shoulda game.

Excellent break down. I agree with that post. However, that goes for every quarterback and every team. No team in the league performs to perfection every time they take the field. There's two ways to victory...You either win the game, or the other team loses it. Either way it goes as a victory. Once the team gets on a roll, the players do the things to put themselves in position to win more often(ie. "catching it if it hits your hands") All in all it was great to shut out the Patsies! Cheers on that! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom