Which Rook Impressed You? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Rook Impressed You?

Elite talent or elite athletic ability... explain how that's different because im not seeing it
Many athletes get by in college because of how athletic they are, especially at the tight end position. Gavin Escobar and Eric Ebron are 2 great examples of that. They were simply bigger and faster than others and got away with it. That usually doesn't translate to the NFL though if the other skill sets of the position dont improve. The ability to get loose off the press and not get out muscles at the line of scrimmage, blocking techniques, and route running are all just as important imho.Goedert is simply the more polished tight end right now and it is clearly showing in his camp and production. Mike can be really good if he develops more but right now all he is really is a red zone threat. Hopefully he works his butt off and the rest comes.

What impresses me the most is the fact that we can actually have a choice between players. Typically the question is "Did the rookies play?", but now we are trying to figure out which one we felt looked the best. Says something about the draft.

This is a hard choice, but I'm going with Minkah because of sample size. He looks like a vet back there, that pass break up is one we don't get in the past.

Gesicki is going to be a lot of fun to watch...that ball was uncatchable for any player, but he still almost made a play on it. Not only that, he beat his man off the line.
Minkah will be awesome from a communication aspect as well. Hes the kind of guy that can bring an entire secondary together because of his football IQ. Hell, the guy played 3 different positions last night I think as a damn rookie in preseason game 1. I dont ever remember a player doing that so quickly.

Fitzpatrick is obvious and expected. Ballage wasn't perfect but I loved him getting to the corner past the DB on the early run, then that ridiculous leap. Not worried about the fumble, i don't think he fumbled once last year in college.

Baker was everywhere. Loved it.

Elite athletic ability are players like Matt Jones 6'6 240 lbs ran a 4.3 had a 39 inch vertical and was a bust who was out of the league at 25.

Anquan Boldin was not an exceptional athlete...dude wasn't all that big ran a 4.7 had a low vertical at 33 inches, didn't have great quickness but in his prime he was an elite talent or pretty damn close.
Boldin was such a good route runner, a joy to watch and one of my favorite players. Landry could have been a copy of him if he could run routes like Boldin but very few can.

Baker is my choice cuz all i heard was how he sucked from alot of draft gurus. He was good

Fitz is the easy answer especially since at one point he single handedly stopped a drive on his own. But my vote is Baker considering all the sports pundits said squat about him in camp and he was an after thought. He represents depth at a needed position guy is fast as stink and can tackle even if he is light in the ass. Maybe one of those guys that practices like **** but when the lights come on and its showtime guy steps up.

Fitz and Getscki ...

He had a touchdown should Fales throw a decent ball. I think we'll be seeing a lot of that.

I was expecting great things from Fitzpatrick, so I wasn't surprised.
The guy that was a pleasant surprise was Baker.
Amazing speed for a LB and looked like he was in on almost every play.
A lot of the rookies impressed though.

I though all the key draft picks flashed. Minkah was the most obvious talent, but almost all this years draft picks looked good at times. Last years too. I expected Minkah to play well, so I think I was most pleasantly surprised with Ballage. Outside of the fumble he played like a vet, picking up blitzes, showing decent vision, and playing well in the passing game. Our front office has filled the roster out pretty damn well. Tough cuts this year. It remains to be seen if we have enough top level talent to be serious playoff contenders for more, but IMHO we have more than 53 NFL players in camp for the first time in a long time which should help in late November or December.

Edit: Honorable mention to Buddy Howell out of FAU who looked good for an UDFA who didn't even start in college. He has no shot of making the 53, but if he keeps it up he may end up on the PS. Nice job kid.

Minkah is the REAL ****IN DEAL, nuff said. He wins by a mile.

Most surprising was Baker; thought it'd be midseason before we started seeing him on the field, but he looks a lot better than Anthony right now, imo.

Gesicki isn't the world's worst blocker! He must've been sick of hearing all those media takes. Even saw him at the second level.

Also, this:

View attachment 13236

Most disappointing was McMillan, sadly. He didn't play much, but what I saw definitely didn't wow me :/
It's not his blocking in general that's a concern, it's his blitz pickups and recognition.

This one
1200px-Chess_piece_-_White_rook.JPG

Minkah putting the hit on the guy who made the catch then let that ball go, and then banging on the next play impressed. Honorable mention to Gesicki for the effort on that one handed reach, looked like he was going to get to the eleven feet needed to make that catch.

I dont really care about highlight real catches to be honest. I watched every game of Goederts the last 2 years and almost every game of Mike's last year. i have been on record for well over a year that I viewed Goedert as the best and most complete tight end in the draft. Its not just the run blocking that I like, it's the toughness. and also the route running that Goedert I felt was better at. I just thought he was the better football player at the draft.

I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, but at this point all Mike is really is a red zone threat. The concern I have is whether he will ever be more than that. Goedert has been balling since day 1, it's just something that I am going to continue to watch very closely.

I'm not sure why you think Gesicki somehow can't catch unless he is in the red zone. Also, why is having a red zone threat a bad thing?

Goedert needs to improve his blocking as well:
For Goedert, the biggest adjustment is the speed of the game, but that hasn’t appeared to be much of an issue during practices. Goedert was known as more of a receiver than a blocker when the Eagles drafted him, so his blocking must develop.

“There’s always going to be things you improve on,” Goedert said. “You’re blocking some pretty good D-ends on this team.”
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...g-camp-rookie-tight-end-singing-20180802.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom