Who is more of a threat to take a (short) TUA pass to the house- Waddle or Smith? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is more of a threat to take a (short) TUA pass to the house- Waddle or Smith?

Bigger 'house call' threat: Waddle or Smith?

• Total voters
Danny made a great point. No reason to hate on either guy, both are great prospects. On the short pass to the house question the answer is Waddle but overall I'm picking Smith. He is a true #1 receiver and that is what we need to begin this draft on the right foot. We get Parker and Williams back healthy and add Smith and Fuller that'
s a lot of talent, put Wilson in the slot and you're looking pretty strong on paper. Then draft RB.

Waddle is faster than Smith. So it is fairly obvious that he has the better chance to turn a short pass into a long TD. Yet I will be just as happy with Smith as I would be with Waddle. I believe both of them have the skills to be top tier WR’s in the NFL.

Of course I will also be happy with Pitts or Chase. So as long as the Dolphins draft one of these 4 receivers, the Dolphins offense will be better next season.

If Waddle is back to 100% the way he was before the injury then he'd be the right answer as to taking a short pass to the house. I can see both of them scoring plenty of TD's in any number of ways tho. Btw, no reason to like one and hate the other. they're both great prospects.
Excellent point! Considering who we have on the roster already, who's skillset is the better fit for Tua and the Dolphins?

Smith because of his crisp route running. Speed is good, but speed and route running is better.

I am leaning toward Smith, too. Have you heard of Matt Harmon's Reception Perception WR analysis? I learned about it on Travis's Dolphin Drive Time podcast the other day. It's not a free site, but it is reasonable. So far, there is data on only 6 draftees. More are coming. However, it's pretty eye-opening. Not that the other top receivers aren't good, but here is what Harmon says about Smith, "There is no better route-runner, no superior technician and no cleaner player at winning off the line of scrimmage than DeVonta Smith in this year’s draft. Period. " I have been going back and forth about WRs for some time. I think I am going to settle in on a guy and stop overthinking it.

I want to respect his product because it's a paysite, but here is another tidbit, Harmon is very confident in his methodology. So much so that he states, "Among the 270-plus players charted in Reception Perception history, only one of the wide receivers has cleared the 90th percentile in success rate vs. man coverage and never had a 1,000-yard season in the NFL. That’s Curtis Samuel, who did record 1,000 total yards for the Panthers in 2020. Pretty close, right? At least we know he’s good."

FYI: Smith is 90th percentile against man. Waddle is 98th! Chase is 72nd. Why isn't Waddle my guy? I like him. He's dynamic. However, he only has a 62.5% success rate of getting open against the press, and as intriguing as he and the others are, I am going to stick with Smith. He has glue for hands, and right now, we need someone who runs great routes, gets open, and catches the damn ball when Tua throws it to him!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom