Who should be the next Fish coach / crazy on JJ | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who should be the next Fish coach / crazy on JJ

Originally posted by Muck

I don't know what kind of motivator he is, but he's a great defensive coach. He made Kansas State a powerhouse. Then Spurrier grabbed him to shape up UF's D. He made them dominant and UF won the championship in Stoops' first season. Won that national title in his second season at Oklahoma (and molded my boy Roy Williams into the dominator he is for the Cowboys).

He's been successful everywhere he's coached. Was actually a canidate for the Browns job but took himself out of the running very early.

He's relatively young at 43.

For the record, Stoops would be my choice too. It seems like everywhere he goes he has success.

This decision would be a tough one. Most of the people that would be the top choices are tied up in early stages of programs(Chuckie 2nd year, Spurrier 2nd year, Mariucci 1st year, Tyrone Willingham 2nd year) that they like. Even Mike Shula now starting at Alabama will probably be there at least 5 years if he has success.
As for availible guys, I am not real enamored of Dennis Green, his personality is too flippant(the opposite of his success protoge, Willingham) and his teams generally do not have physical defenses.
Rick Neuhisel might be an interesting possibilty. As for a off the wall choice, Doug Williams might be an interesting choice.

Considering the circumstances that a Dave Wannstedt firing would come under, I guess I wouldn't mind bringing in some young blood although I am tentative about it. I mean, you don't bring in a college coach to be your head coach when you're team is in a continuous state of trying to make a Super Bowl run. Even Jimmy Johnson went like 1-15 his first year as head coach of the Cowboys. Steve Spurrious is (and it pains me to say this) about as good a college coach as you find, yet look at all the blatant mistakes he made in Washington. And its not like my boy Butch Davis is without blame for happenings up in Brown-town where discipline has often been a problem. Bringing in a Tyrone Willingham or Bob Stoops would definitely set us back at least a few years, and guys like Sam Madison, Zach Thomas, and Jason Taylor probably don't have a whole lot of time left before they're becoming shells of their former selves.

Thats why I'm tentative about bringing in new blood, however under the conditions a Wannstedt firing would come under it might be OK. Because lets face it the way Wannstedt gets fired is if this team collapses and either doesn't make the playoffs, or gets an early playoff exit. And the way that happens, is some of the older veteran acquisitions on the team obviously didn't do what they were supposed to. Some older veterans period, would be probably swept up in a major bloodletting. Brock Marion comes to mind. Tim Bowens comes to mind. Those are two guys Wannstedt specifically mentioned when a reporter asked about our salary cap situation next year being so tight....Wannstedt was like "Well you dont know how much longer guys like Tim Bowens and Brock Marion are gonna be around..." and stuff like that man. Todd Perry, probably gone. Jay Fiedler, probably gone. McKnight, cya. Ruddy, bye. If this season turns out bad (which we're assuming, because this season would HAVE to turn out bad to prompt a Dave Wannstedt firing) then you can just about bet Seau turns out to be a one-year rental. Terrell Buckley and Sammy Knight, probably gone as well.

And with all those departures, we probably would not have a whole lot of money for our new head coach to buy some new groceries that fit the team into the mold of what he wants.

Anyway the guy I'd like to see take over for Wannstedt in that even is Jim Johnson. No, not Jimmy Johnson, the other guy. The D-Coordinator over in Philadelphia...he runs the same kind of stuff in the secondary that we do, but his front seven has all those fancy package blitzes and everything and he just seems to get great results out of not so great players in the front seven...guys like Levon Kirkland and the myriad of linebackers he's tossed into the mix. Corey Simon who I honestly dont consider to be the top level DT that most consider him. Hugh Douglas, who was pretty good with the Jets (10 sacks as rookie, 8 sophomore, 4 sacks 3rd year), didn't turn out to be the consistent 14 sack per year man that he is currently until he met Philadelphia and Jim Johnson. How does the guy manage to get maximum potential out of a fat guy like Levon Kirkland???

Anyway, I would much prefer Jim Johnson to Norv Turner, who I did not feel was a good head coach in Washington. Norv should stick to being an offensive coordinator.

Two Words...Bill Musgrave. He's a brilliant offensive mind who is a players coach and one heck of a motivator. The job he did as OC at UVa was nothing short of masterful. And he's young enough to be here for years and years

I think the window of opportunity for an offensive minded guy to come in and coach this team is closing fast and might be closed by the time DW would theoretically be gone. The idea is, while we've got such a darn good defense, bring in a guy who can create offense then we're awesome on both sides of the ball, right? Well, the defense we have now, is aging. And when/if a new coach comes in, his challenge will be getting maximum production out of defensive personnel that are slipping. Thats why honestly I would just love to be able to keep a guy like Norv Turner here in Miami as our offensive coordinator, while grabbing another defensive genius like Jim Johnson to be the head coach.

But those college choices, Willingham, Stoops, Musgrave...definitely interesting. They'd put fans in the stand just to see what they can do. I bet Jack Del Rio will put some fans in the stand over in Jacksonville just because of the allure of how new his blood is to the coaching world.

My choice is......

Jeff Fischer from Tennesee. I like his style. He seems to be a lot more "in your face" than Wanny, and giving him a good defense, he could perform very well.

I was thinking Bob Stoops too, but jetssuck beat me to it.

I also love Tommy Tubberville and Nick Saban.

I hope Wanne is our coach for years to come. I cannot see anyone else coaching this team for a while.

Well of course we'd love Jeff Fisher but, I mean...well the guy is locked up pretty tight over in Tennessee. Might as well be like "I'd like to see Bill Parcells down here" or "Don Shula in his prime."

I mean, aren't we supposed to be discussing realistic candidates?

I'd go with Mike Ditka....he'd bring the type of intensity to the team that it really needs!

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Bringing in a Tyrone Willingham or Bob Stoops would definitely set us back at least a few years, and guys like Sam Madison, Zach Thomas, and Jason Taylor probably don't have a whole lot of time left before they're becoming shells of their former selves.

I agree with you on Zach, due to his style of play and size (but we need to define 'lot of time left'), but I tend to disagree on JT and Madison.

JT is only in his 7th year, and he's the type of nimble and athletic guy that can last. I'm more worried about Timbo, or players of his stature, than I am about a 260 lb quick DE. JT also has an amazing metabolism and takes great care of his body. I see him sticking around.

CBs last forever. Their position isn't really physically debilitating as is DL, LB, RB, OL. Plus, Sam's never really been a big hitter... he's still pretty young, too.

As a side note, I believe in Dave, and I think he can take us there. He has made excellent personnel decisions (along with Spielman), and a lot of our failures can be viewed in light of other circumstances (vanilla defensive, Ray Lucas, CC's injury, lack of PLAYER intensity when it counts).

I think a little housecleaning comes next year regardless of finish. I see Timbo restructuring for one more year, as he has before. I think Marion is gone, and Arturo Steps in. As long as Knight plays well, he definitely stays. As for Seau, we'll see, but I expect 2-3 years out of him. Ruddy and Perry are both on the bubble, and we have young talent at OL waiting.

Of our core defensive unit, I'd have to say my fears are that Bowens, Marion, and Madison are the closest to the door. This is not to say that I expect Madison to be gone, but his huge salary is creeping up on us and we're going to need to either restructure or trim the fat elsewhere. If it's between Surtain and Madison, I say we keep Surtain. I do think Madison stays (primarily because we lack a quality CB to take his place... and believe me, going from Surtain/Madison to Surtain/Fletcher will be an enormous loss), and I really do like him, but my fear is that his ego will lead him to believe he's worth the world and should bring his goods elsewhere. On the bright side of this argument, the salary cap is low and we just have too many pro-bowlers.

As a final point, I'd like to commend the Dolphin front office. EVEN IF WE LOSE 2/3 of those players (Marion, Timbo) and a few on offense (Ruddy, Perry, etc.) we still have an amazing team. We have excellent depth at DL, we still have a young nucleus (Ricky, Chambers, Konrad, McMichael, Wade, JT, Moore [hopefully], Surtain, O-Gun, Wade Smith, McKinney, etc.) We have groomed replacements and have done an excellent job at keeping under the cap while maintaining the most talented team in the NFL.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
I was thinking Bob Stoops too, but jetssuck beat me to it.

I also love Tommy Tubberville and Nick Saban.

Tubberville? I've been waiting for this guy to do SOMETHING with my alma amter but here I am still waiting....

Originally posted by dean_siu
I'd go with Mike Ditka....he'd bring the type of intensity to the team that it really needs!

And he'd have his second honeymoon with Ricky.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom