Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Chad Henne

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Jared Odrick

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 24.2%

• Total voters
You think Jimmy Wilson will amount to anything? I've heard a couple good things about him in practice so far.. and he looks way bigger than I thought he'd look

honestly didn't and still don't know much about jimmy wilson...ck seems to think if i recall correctly that he can play that rover position the sean smith played so well last year...

he's a guy i'll have my eye on in camp...sorry i can't give you more there...

as for reshad jones ball skills are very good...physical tackler will come up in run support and light your *** up...but struggles out of his pedal in his transition and stiff hipped...

like him so much more at strong safety...if he's responsible for a deep zone vertical speed guys eat up his cushion and then run by him in a nanosecond...just can't flip his hips all that well...

i see a liability as a deep vertical coverage player at free safety....move him to strong and let him be the replacement for yeremiah bell

Couldn't agree with this more. I think Jones is built to be a strong safety. Bell is getting up in years and his cap number is less than agreeable for a 33 year old Safety with only 5 career picks, so this could be his last season in Miami. I think we should groom Jones as his successor this season so that he is ready to take over the job next year.

He absolutely will stick his nose in on a RB. Dude is a competitor and while he isn't a 'lay the wood' type safety, he's not afraid of contact. The fact is, he IS a natural safety that converted to CB in the NFL, likely as a way to make a roster. It's not that he doesn't make plays on the ball (5 picks his Junior year), it's just not his strongest suit. He's more of a 'right place, right time' kind of guy who will capitalize on a mistake, rather than a guy who is going to overcome a receiver, win the space and make a spectacular pick.

ok...i'll take your word for it til i see different...

honestly didn't and still don't know much about jimmy wilson...ck seems to think if i recall correctly that he can play that rover position the sean smith played so well last year...

I don't know much about him, but from everything I've heard, if it wasn't for his legal trouble his draft stock would have been much higher.

I don't know much about him, but from everything I've heard, if it wasn't for his legal trouble his draft stock would have been much higher.

never saw any of his tape...saw the murder wrap i believe and thought this kid will never get drafted as a result and never paid any more attention

No prob, I'm not sure anyone knows much bout him. lol

For whatever reason I think he'll stand out though.. not sure why, because I usually "meh" at DB's we bring in for camp.. even though we did draft him

as for reshad jones ball skills are very good...physical tackler will come up in run support and light your *** up...but struggles out of his pedal in his transition and stiff hipped...

like him so much more at strong safety...if he's responsible for a deep zone vertical speed guys eat up his cushion and then run by him in a nanosecond...just can't flip his hips all that well...

i see a liability as a deep vertical coverage player at free safety....move him to strong and let him be the replacement for yeremiah bell

See, it's always been my opinion that you want the stiffer hipped guy at free safety, rather than strong. Strong safeties play a lot more in man coverage and in the box, where you have to be able to change directions quickly and fluidly. That's not Jones' game. His change of direction numbers at the combine were positively offensive linemen like. But he can plant and run in a straight line pretty well, and physically that's the job of a free safety much more than a strong safety.

I think he plays better looking at the quarterback. He's instinctive and a ball hawk (Chris Clemons is neither, but speed cures a lot of ills). Jones has limited range but that's just how it goes. Ed Reed is a stiff hipped athlete and if I recall only ran in the mid 4.5s. Which is not to say Reshad Jones is ever going to sniff Ed Reed's jockstrap but I just don't see him as a SS. He didn't play particularly well there his junior year and so far the Dolphins have made no effort to move him over, which I applaud.

I think Jones and Clemons will have a legitimate battle for the starting FS job this year. It honestly wouldn't shock me to see Jones win that battle, though I think the odds favor Clemons. When it comes time to replace Bell, in my view they'll look elsewhere.

No prob, I'm not sure anyone knows much bout him. lol

For whatever reason I think he'll stand out though.. not sure why, because I usually "meh" at DB's we bring in for camp.. even though we did draft him

There's gotta be something there, and we can't be the only team that saw it (otherwise we would have just gone for him as an UDFA if we knew we were the only team in the race). His first season I don't expect him to be anything more than a possible ST contributor, but honestly, for where he was picked, that's nothing to complain about.

See, it's always been my opinion that you want the stiffer hipped guy at free safety, rather than strong. Strong safeties play a lot more in man coverage and in the box, where you have to be able to change directions quickly and fluidly. That's not Jones' game. His change of direction numbers at the combine were positively offensive linemen like. But he can plant and run in a straight line pretty well, and physically that's the job of a free safety much more than a strong safety.

I think he plays better looking at the quarterback. He's instinctive and a ball hawk (Chris Clemons is neither, but speed cures a lot of ills). Jones has limited range but that's just how it goes. Ed Reed is a stiff hipped athlete and if I recall only ran in the mid 4.5s. Which is not to say Reshad Jones is ever going to sniff Ed Reed's jockstrap but I just don't see him as a SS. He didn't play particularly well there his junior year and so far the Dolphins have made no effort to move him over, which I applaud.

I think Jones and Clemons will have a legitimate battle for the starting FS job this year. It honestly wouldn't shock me to see Jones win that battle, though I think the odds favor Clemons. When it comes time to replace Bell, in my view they'll look elsewhere.

I think as a FS he'll just be eaten up down the seam. Anyone with a lick of speed will be able to either collapse his cushion too fast for him to flip his hips, or will make a break early in the route and Jones won't have the fluidity to change direction and keep coverage. I just feel one way or another he's either going to be giving up a deep ball or allowing a lot of underneath stuff. As for playing in the box, I think that suits him better as it's in space where he'll get abused, but any chance he has to get physical will give him much better odds on making a play.

yeah this is one thing you and i don't agree on...i think you and ck both see free safety with reshad jones and slimm and i both see strong...

but we do agree on one thing on clemons...if it wasn't for his speed this kid would be getting destroyed...his instincts are just lacking...make him a 4.55 guy instead of like a 4.37 guy and he'd be getting exposed big time...kids got no real feel for the vertical passing game either...gets lost

clemons gets away witha lot because of his speed...

I think as a FS he'll just be eaten up down the seam. Anyone with a lick of speed will be able to either collapse his cushion too fast for him to flip his hips, or will make a break early in the route and Jones won't have the fluidity to change direction and keep coverage. I just feel one way or another he's either going to be giving up a deep ball or allowing a lot of underneath stuff. As for playing in the box, I think that suits him better as it's in space where he'll get abused, but any chance he has to get physical will give him much better odds on making a play.

Agreed.. don't think it'll be so much keeping up with receivers on their cuts but more of getting his hips turned around in a hurry on those high flyers running right at him.. especially on the double moves. He could adjust it by opening his hips sooner but again, the double moves would eat him alive if he did that.

hey...i like this guy...good stuff...spot on imo...

I disagree. Everything you said would also count for Clemons, who's just as stiff in change of direction as Jones (Clemons is the only guy I've ever seen at the combine who ran his 40 yard dash faster than his 20 yard shuttle). I mean, if free safeties had smooth hips they'd be corners, not safeties (young guys like Eric Berry and Earl Thomas excepted).

Putting a guy like Jones at strong safety will only magnify his problems. Man coverage and short zone looks will expose that stiffness more than patrolling the single high or the deep third will (particularly if he learns to not get fooled by eye movement from the quarterback). Farther back his instincts and ball skills will help make up for his stiffness and average speed (as they did for Ed Reed, who as I said is both stiff and not very fast).

One thing I will say is that I do think Jones' ideal fit is in a cover 2 kind of look. I think that suits him better than single high. But I think single high suits him better than the pseudo linebacker thing Bell has been doing for two or three years and which LeRoy Butler made famous.

you put reshad jones in single high and as an oc i'm telling my vertical wr to attack him vertically and get into his cushion...reshads got one of two options he can either bail early which the wr and qb are both gonna be able to see pretty early and you can pretty much run any route you want to in front of him or he's gonna squat and get caught flat footed due to his lack of hips and you can run right by him...

to me he's too easy a target in single high...i agree clemons has stiff hips also but clemons has one thing thats gonna give him a little extra help that reshad doesn't...top end sprinter speed

put reshad at free safety in single high and he's wearing a target imo...i'm gonna attack him

that being said imo chris clemons also wears a target in single high...not a big fan of our free safety position options period

I disagree. Everything you said would also count for Clemons, who's just as stiff in change of direction as Jones (Clemons is the only guy I've ever seen at the combine who ran his 40 yard dash faster than his 20 yard shuttle). I mean, if free safeties had smooth hips they'd be corners, not safeties (young guys like Eric Berry and Earl Thomas excepted).

Putting a guy like Jones at strong safety will only magnify his problems. Man coverage and short zone looks will expose that stiffness more than patrolling the single high or the deep third will (particularly if he learns to not get fooled by eye movement from the quarterback). Farther back his instincts and ball skills will help make up for his stiffness and average speed (as they did for Ed Reed, who as I said is both stiff and not very fast).

One thing I will say is that I do think Jones' ideal fit is in a cover 2 kind of look. I think that suits him better than single high. But I think single high suits him better than the pseudo linebacker thing Bell has been doing for two or three years and which LeRoy Butler made famous.

The difference with Clemons is his speed. Yes, he's just a stiff, but runs a sub 4.4 40 and so can make up for it. And I do agree that a Cover 2 look is probably the best way to disguise his weaknesses. I think man coverage is something he can work with because it allows him to be a little more physical and to really engage with his man and knock him off the route. Also, if he's matched up against a less than athletic TE, his COD skills become less of an issue, and as a SS he's going to be covering TE's more often than a WR, whereas at FS, he's likely to draw WR's in coverage more often and their speed and wiggles will expose him.

Back
Top Bottom