Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Chad Henne

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Jared Odrick

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 24.2%

• Total voters
yeah this is one thing you and i don't agree on...i think you and ck both see free safety with reshad jones and slimm and i both see strong...

but we do agree on one thing on clemons...if it wasn't for his speed this kid would be getting destroyed...his instincts are just lacking...make him a 4.55 guy instead of like a 4.37 guy and he'd be getting exposed big time...kids got no real feel for the vertical passing game either...gets lost

clemons gets away witha lot because of his speed...

Well, hey. That's what makes it fun. For the record, though, I think Clemons is actually a 4.33 guy. Pretty sure that's what he ran at the combine. There's a good chance that even with Bush here that he's the fastest guy on the team (Bush ran a 4.33 at his pro day also, if I remember correctly, but that was on USC's track). Well, actually now that I think about it, a healthy Gates probably wipes either guy out. I mean, the guy ran a 4.31 on a sore groin he couldn't really train on, which is just frightening.

Clemons needs every bit of that speed, though. You're right. Even though his instincts are below average I could probably still get fully behind him as a starter if only he'd show some ball skills. I mean, I'm not asking for wide receiver hands back there but at least don't look clueless while the ball is in the air. I think teams are going to start realizing that even if he gets over from the hash in time to make a play on the ball he's not really a threat to judge it in the air properly to make a play on it so they might as well just try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference with Clemons is his speed. Yes, he's just a stiff, but runs a sub 4.4 40 and so can make up for it. And I do agree that a Cover 2 look is probably the best way to disguise his weaknesses. I think man coverage is something he can work with because it allows him to be a little more physical and to really engage with his man and knock him off the route. Also, if he's matched up against a less than athletic TE, his COD skills become less of an issue, and as a SS he's going to be covering TE's more often than a WR, whereas at FS, he's likely to draw WR's in coverage more often and their speed and wiggles will expose him.

Clemons has speed but he doesn't really have instincts, so it's a washout (sort of like Pennington's accuracy getting washed out by his lack of arm strength -- it's no longer a luxury, it's a necessity). Reshad Jones is "only" a 4.51 guy (I actually think that's a pretty good time, especially considering his size) but he's instinctive, which makes up for it. Not to keep beating a dead horse but it's instincts that have made Ed Reed -- who ran a 4.57 coming out of Miami -- one of the best safeties to ever play.

So what you're left with is one stiff guy with incredible speed and average instincts and another stiff guy with good but not great speed and good instincts. That pretty much works out to a washout except the second guy also has much superior ball skills to the first guy.

So maybe the answer is to upgrade the position entirely but, you know, if the Steelers can get by with Ryan Clark and the Jets with Eric Smith, I'm not sure it's such a big deal.

Conversations like this really make me wish we all had access to coaches tape. Safeties are so hard to judge without it. With TVs getting as big as they are you'd hope they'd start moving to more of a wide angle, all-22 kind of look. Oh, well. Someday, I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, hey. That's what makes it fun. For the record, though, I think Clemons is actually a 4.33 guy. Pretty sure that's what he ran at the combine. There's a good chance that even with Bush here that he's the fastest guy at the team (Bush ran a 4.33 at his pro day also, if I remember correctly, but that was on USC's track). Well, actually now that I think about it, a healthy Gates probably wipes either guy out. I mean, the guy ran a 4.31 on a sore groin he couldn't really train on, which is just frightening.

Clemons needs every bit of that speed, though. You're right. Even though his instincts are a below average I could probably still get fully behind him as a starter if only he'd show some ball skills. I mean, I'm not asking for wide receiver hands back there but at least don't look clueless while the ball is in the air. I think teams are going to start realizing that even if he gets over from the hash in time to make a play on the ball he's not really a threat to judge it in the air properly to make a play on it so they might as well just try it.

I really am hoping experience and coaching starts to make a difference with Clemons, speed is great, but it can also hurt at times (i.e., you ran REALLY fast in the wrong direction). At this point, I just think Clemons is the better choice at FS because he can overcome his faults whereas Jones cant.

I really am hoping experience and coaching starts to make a difference with Clemons, speed is great, but it can also hurt at times (i.e., you ran REALLY fast in the wrong direction). At this point, I just think Clemons is the better choice at FS because he can overcome his faults whereas Jones cant.

:lol:

I would love if Henne broke out but the only way this happens is if Henne completely turns a 180. Because he has a average arm, bad mobility, horrible vision, bad presence, cannot lead a receiver whatsover, shows no leadership at all.

I voted for Misi because I think he will be blitzing more and will be freed up because Wake is on the other side. I like the fight he shows, toughness and skill set.

I hope it is Henne, with Jerry being second (we really need another o-lineman to step up). I am also very curious to see how Odrick does this year, I am really hoping that he adds something to the line.

Back
Top Bottom