whos ur pick for surprise team of the year. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

whos ur pick for surprise team of the year.

The Dolphins!!!!! oh you said suprise...errrrr...I'm gonna have to say the Cards too...They have too much talent and they only have one team to really compete with in that division!!!

Pretty bold statement. I love how people can throw out hugely deflamatory comments so easily. Warner has his downside; he getting old, he is brittle, and he can't handle the pass rush extremly well. With the system in Arizona with the quick 3 step drops and his ability to make quick decisions, to get the ball to the right reciever, he does very well.

Kurt warner is a bad QB and has been ever since he blew the NE SB in Feb '02.

T.O. Will make Bledsoe look really really good. Remember back what he did with Jeff Garcia? made him a 3-time Pro Bowl QB and they still have Glenn, Witten and Jones( sounds like a law firm). Brunell has the support of a running game which will help him out and that system he plays in is basically screens and short passes.

TO is going to go nuts playing w/ Bledsoe, Drew holds onto the ball too long and takes bad sacks and makes bad throws b/c he thinks w/ his great arm he can get it anywhere. Drew has a ton of weapons and should do better but I think he's the guy holding them back from making a deep playoff run.

Giants didn't improve much but Tom gets his guys playing well.

Outside of last year(and they got alot of breaks last year) Coughlin's teams haven't done well in about 5 seasons. My concern w/ the giants is #1 Eli. He was annointed last year as a big time QB but didn't play like even a good QB most of the year. #2 Burress- he had an excellent year last year but faded down the stretch and was invisible in the playoff game(like he was in Pitt most of the time) and he is a ticking time bomb- I look for trouble w/ Burress and Toomer is just about done so the only other receiving option is Shockey. #3 I don't like the secondary moves and they will need the same type of production out of Strahan and Umenyora they got last year and that will be hard to duplicate.

nyjunc said:
Stacked? I love Santana but he's never been able to stay healthy 2 straight years so that's something to look out for, you can't expect brunell to have another season like last year and they made bad moves(outside of Brandon Lloyd) in the offseason.

Dallas has it all EXCEPT QB, I think they's win the NFC if they had a competent QB.

The Giants made some questionable moves this offseason, drafting another pass rusher(long term it may work out but short term it doesn't help), signing some old or overrated secondary players(the only guy I like is Demps but he is always hurt), Toomer is getting old, Burress is in yr 2 and coming off ZERO ctahces in their playoff game so expect some clashes w/ coughlin this year, Manning was an average QB last year and needs to take a big step, Barber is getting old.

All the teams are solid but have some major question marks and if Philly is healthy(specifically McNabb and Westbrook) they have more than enough D to win that division.

I think this is going to be one of the tuffer divisions.

Wash - burnell won't have a year like last year, but they brought in a lot of help to keep his option open, LLyod, and you forgot to mention Randle el, who will be an x-factor for them. I think they will be good on O, it will be there D that hurts them.

Dallas- I think they will do good, they have a good young D led by Ware, and if you want to say TO will ruin them, I agree. But not for a year or so. Look at his first year in Philio, he tor it up before breaking his leg, the problem came in the offseason after his first year there. I like Bledso, I think with propper protection, and there good running game of Jones and Barber, they will be ok. But yes, their O is ageing.

G men- I think they are going to win this conference. They have only gotton better as Eli is learning, and they have just surrounded him with weapons. They are going to put up big numbers. Its there kicking that will hurt them. They lost a few games because of missed FGs, most notably the seachickens game. Their D was good last year, they have one of the better D lines, but once again I think their D will hurt them.

Phili - I think they had the best draft this seaon. If Mcnab is healthy, he has a good Oline, and westbrook is a weapon running and catching. It will be their WRs to watch, alot of youth there, but I think McNab will help get their confidence up, should do fine. Its their D that will do the biggest damage. If healthy, Their D will win them some games this year I think.

just a few of my opinions.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
It seems Arizona is a popular pick. But let me ask you guys all 1 thing. Can you name one of there offensive lineman or defensive players? Yes they have probably the best WR tandem in football and one of the top 3 RBs in the league. But that is it. Kurt Warner is garbage, they should have kept McCown and sent Warner packing. Once Leinart gets developed and they rebuild that defense through draft and o-line through free agency, then maybe they will contend. By time they do that however, James will probably be done. The Cards are still at least a year or 2 away.

I agree, it will be the cards O line that will be the big question. they didn draft Lutui, who I think could start right away. They also drafted Pope, who alot of people thought was the 2nd best TE behind Davis. He is a big target that will also help out blocking. Everyone knows a QB is better when he has a good RB behind him to help take pressure off of him, so I think saying Kurt is garbage is pretty weak. (no I'm not a fan, but he still has some in the tank). He is going to put up alot of yards, and Tds, and yes picks. But he had no running game last seasson, and in the 10 games he played in(injury) he was 64% completion, over 2700 yds, 11 TDs, and 9ints. Not too bad for not having alot of help. They'v worked on their line, and now by adding Edge, he will take the pressure offa Kurt, and be able to move the ball. They have never had a RB there, yeah Ship is a joke.
On D, I like their pick 2 years ago Rolle, he will be good, just needs to stay healthy. Wilson is a great S, who lead their team in tackles. He is a hard hitter, and will help lead that young D. I am a fan of their LBs Dansby and Darling, both are only getting better. It is a young D, but they are going to be able to do some good. I think its their main problem, but look at their division, the rams havent played too great the last few years, very up and down, SF will struggle to score a TD against most NFL teams practice squad, and the seachickens wont put up as big of numbers as they did last year. That is why I think they could be ok. I am not a fan, and Im not saying their going all the way, I am saying that they are movingin the right direction

Well I was going to say the Cards, but a bunch of people are already on that ship. I don't know how much of a suprise it is, but I like the Jaguars in the AFC. It was a HUGE blow to lose Jimmy Smith, even though he was old. His leadership will be missed. But Byron Leftwich will continue to improve, as well as the young recievers. Fred Taylor continues to struggle with injuries, but depth at that position should at least help. Mercedes Lewis shoudl provide a nice option at tight end. While thier line isn't neccessarily spectacular, it looks to be a cohesive and effective unit.

On defense, the defensive line shoudl return to thier form of a few years back, with pro-bowlers Marcus Stroud and John Henderson as anchors. Throw in Wiley(who is loosing a step) and an improving Reggie Hayward, and opposing QB's should look out. The linebacking corps isn't teh best it has ever been, but they should do fine. And with Donovan Darius leading the secondary along, the defense should post pretty good numbers.

The Raiders are my number 2 surprise in the AFC(not counting the Colts as the surprise wth them will be they won't be as good). The Falcons are my NFC surprise behind the Cards. I look for thier WR's to have made a quantum leap from last year, and I thin the defense as a whole only got better with the addition of Abraham, and what I consider to be a steal, Jimmy Williams.

The Houston Oilers are gonna do something they been kinda quiet lately

I think the Browns could do something, however their division is too tough for them to get too far.

playmaker1 said:
I agree, it will be the cards O line that will be the big question. they didn draft Lutui, who I think could start right away. They also drafted Pope, who alot of people thought was the 2nd best TE behind Davis. He is a big target that will also help out blocking. Everyone knows a QB is better when he has a good RB behind him to help take pressure off of him, so I think saying Kurt is garbage is pretty weak. (no I'm not a fan, but he still has some in the tank). He is going to put up alot of yards, and Tds, and yes picks. But he had no running game last seasson, and in the 10 games he played in(injury) he was 64% completion, over 2700 yds, 11 TDs, and 9ints. Not too bad for not having alot of help. They'v worked on their line, and now by adding Edge, he will take the pressure offa Kurt, and be able to move the ball. They have never had a RB there, yeah Ship is a joke.
On D, I like their pick 2 years ago Rolle, he will be good, just needs to stay healthy. Wilson is a great S, who lead their team in tackles. He is a hard hitter, and will help lead that young D. I am a fan of their LBs Dansby and Darling, both are only getting better. It is a young D, but they are going to be able to do some good. I think its their main problem, but look at their division, the rams havent played too great the last few years, very up and down, SF will struggle to score a TD against most NFL teams practice squad, and the seachickens wont put up as big of numbers as they did last year. That is why I think they could be ok. I am not a fan, and Im not saying their going all the way, I am saying that they are movingin the right direction

You're right. I love the way the Cardinals drafted. They had one of the best drafts IMO.

nyjunc said:
Kurt warner is a bad QB and has been ever since he blew the NE SB in Feb '02.

TO is going to go nuts playing w/ Bledsoe, Drew holds onto the ball too long and takes bad sacks and makes bad throws b/c he thinks w/ his great arm he can get it anywhere. Drew has a ton of weapons and should do better but I think he's the guy holding them back from making a deep playoff run.

Outside of last year(and they got alot of breaks last year) Coughlin's teams haven't done well in about 5 seasons. My concern w/ the giants is #1 Eli. He was annointed last year as a big time QB but didn't play like even a good QB most of the year. #2 Burress- he had an excellent year last year but faded down the stretch and was invisible in the playoff game(like he was in Pitt most of the time) and he is a ticking time bomb- I look for trouble w/ Burress and Toomer is just about done so the only other receiving option is Shockey. #3 I don't like the secondary moves and they will need the same type of production out of Strahan and Umenyora they got last year and that will be hard to duplicate.

Yeah you're definately right about the production coming from the d ends. Last year they were making plays but the giants just flat out got beat. I think with another year of experience and a bad taste from the playoffs in his mouth he will get better. Bledsoe used to be a really good qb but he's kind just gotten worse over the years. He's got the arm but he needs to protected for a while to get to his receivers.

I think this is going to be one of the tuffer divisions.

Top to bottom I don't think there is a doubt the NFC East is the toughest div but I don't see any great teams. It's going to be very competitive w/ the last place team probably winning 7 or 8 games like our div did in '02.

The Jets and the Bills :wakeup: :ricky: :drinker: :redeye:

nyjunc said:
Top to bottom I don't think there is a doubt the NFC East is the toughest div but I don't see any great teams. It's going to be very competitive w/ the last place team probably winning 7 or 8 games like our div did in '02.

Yeah i agree, last year the NFC South had some pretty heavy competition between them. Panthers, Bucs, and Falcons all had 8 wins or more.

nyjunc said:

well the way I look at it is yes that is a tuff division. IMO all 4 teams only got better. If you look at last years playoffs, 2 of the 4 teams made the playoffs (the Giants, who won it, and the Redskins who took wildcard). Both those teams loaded up as did dallas and Eagles. My original point was just to show, IMO, why it was a tuff division. You might be right, there are no "great" teams, but two outta four shows pretty good teams. Just my thought bro:D

Back
Top Bottom