Who's your 2017 draft dream target ??? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's your 2017 draft dream target ???

He's pretty interesting. You wonder what a creative dc could do with his versatility - S, slot corner and nickle Lb...good blitzer. A win on ST too...

Just such a playmaker man and I feel like ultimately that type of player is the biggest void when it comes to our defensive back 7.

I like lots of names mentioned in this thread, specifically Thomas, Hooker and Peppers.

I'll throw in a couple more: A friend of mine in Las Vegas who is great at identifying interior offensive linemen has been raving about Forrest Lamp for years. I defer to his opinion.

This won't be a popular choice. Christian McCaffrey is a great player, a difference making player. All the cute garbage we tried to run with Jakeem Grant in preseason would be immediately lethal with Christian McCaffrey running those routes. Notice how he quickly shredded a very good Iowa defense in the Rose Bowl. McCaffrey was almost guaranteed to fall off in 2016 production once Stanford lost Kevin Hogan to graduation and replaced him for half a season with a quarterback who simply couldn't play. Hence you are now allowed to draft Christian McCaffrey at a spot far lower than he would have been 8 months ago, or that his talent level warrants.

Sure, there are other needs. More points per game is always a need, and that basic variable of, "Can you score?" decides so many games. The young Canes basketball team played at Virginia on Monday night as hefty underdog, between 8 and 10 points, depending when you shopped. But it wasn't as daunting as it appeared because Virginia simply can't score. Miami pulled it out in overtime after the game was tied at 43-43 after regulation.

When I moved to Las Vegas to bet sports in 1984 I was very defense oriented and run oriented. It took me a while to amend those priorities partially in favor of teams/athletes who could apply cheap quick points to the scoreboard. That's what these smart quick little Patriot players do, even as the rest of the league is determined to undervalue them.

As an Ohio State fan I can say I am also a Jabril Peppers fan. If not for Reshad Jones though he would be a no-brainer of a pick.

I think if you go with Peppers, it's the things that he brings to the table beyond the Box safety role that really sell him. The different things he can do from the nickel...LB, match up with split TEs, blitz, drop back and play center field. With that in mind, he could complement Jones. I really think you have to have a creative DC to get him to shine though. If you just drop him in at SS or FS, not sure he's the guy at 22.

Just such a playmaker man and I feel like ultimately that type of player is the biggest void when it comes to our defensive back 7.

Did you forget about Reshad Jones being that playmaker? Dude flies around on defense.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

BTW, I often have goofy opinions. Just throwing that out there, as a warning.

M2BTHZo.jpg

2 future Hall of Fame OG & 3 future Hall of fame LBS & a 1 future Hall of Fame CB. Don't care who it is just future Hall of Fame players. Is that asking 2 much?????
That would be crazy but unrealistic. A 2014 Raiders type Draft would suffice; top 5 EDGE, young ascending QB, a good guard, and a rotational DT.

I like lots of names mentioned in this thread, specifically Thomas, Hooker and Peppers.

I'll throw in a couple more: A friend of mine in Las Vegas who is great at identifying interior offensive linemen has been raving about Forrest Lamp for years. I defer to his opinion.

This won't be a popular choice. Christian McCaffrey is a great player, a difference making player. All the cute garbage we tried to run with Jakeem Grant in preseason would be immediately lethal with Christian McCaffrey running those routes. Notice how he quickly shredded a very good Iowa defense in the Rose Bowl. McCaffrey was almost guaranteed to fall off in 2016 production once Stanford lost Kevin Hogan to graduation and replaced him for half a season with a quarterback who simply couldn't play. Hence you are now allowed to draft Christian McCaffrey at a spot far lower than he would have been 8 months ago, or that his talent level warrants.

Sure, there are other needs. More points per game is always a need, and that basic variable of, "Can you score?" decides so many games. The young Canes basketball team played at Virginia on Monday night as hefty underdog, between 8 and 10 points, depending when you shopped. But it wasn't as daunting as it appeared because Virginia simply can't score. Miami pulled it out in overtime after the game was tied at 43-43 after regulation.

When I moved to Las Vegas to bet sports in 1984 I was very defense oriented and run oriented. It took me a while to amend those priorities partially in favor of teams/athletes who could apply cheap quick points to the scoreboard. That's what these smart quick little Patriot players do, even as the rest of the league is determined to undervalue them.

Not saying you're wrong, but we better be putting up points like a college basketball team if we dont invest in this D. And Im a little surprised that a Dolphins fan from the mid 80s on believes in success through lots of points on the scoreboard... too many lost shootouts with god awful defenses from that era for me to agree. But then again, I did not lose money, just sanity...

Did you forget about Reshad Jones being that playmaker? Dude flies around on defense.

Reshad is a good player, but my stance on him really has never wavered. Freelances too much and takes poor angles . . . two things that makes him a liability in coverage. He is an elite in the box safety tho and he has good instincts and yea he is a playmaker . . . but with Peppers I think we get that guy who can be an elite player in coverage with the versatility to offer what Reshad gives us up front.

I've never been in love with the idea of extending Reshad to this 10 million dollar + AAV that he seems to be requesting. He's not Eric Berry or Earl Thomas, he's an extension of the LBs IMO and really stands out because of how piss poor the LBs have been since he has been drafted. I think his salary right now fits the player . . . the idea that he is "underpaid" is a sick joke IMO.

Year 1, we would use Jabrill in a number of ways . . . as The Wozz pointed out. Safety, slot CB, nickel LB, special teams, some offensive snaps even, etc. Reshad would go no where, neither would IAQ . . . teams run nickel more than 50% of the time anyways. I'm all about adding game changers to this defense, not sure there will be a bigger one available than Peppers, even if he doesn't necessarily slot right into a particular position.

There will be some "need fillers" at 22 for sure . . . but if this guy is on the board, we really need to take a look.

One interception in 3 years, yet somehow Peppers is viewed by some as an elite coverage guy . . . :ponder:

Also Peppers would also be a waste in our archaic defense. We couldn't use him in the hybrid roles he is best suited for or be able to take advantage of his versatility since our scheme does not offer those options.

Peppers is an interesting player. I view him as a tweener. A guy without a true position, but that could be viewed as being versatile

Peppers is an interesting player. I view him as a tweener. A guy without a true position, but that could be viewed as being versatile

He could excel in a zone blitz system much like LeBeau used Polamalu, or how Bettcher is using Buchannon in their DB heavy 4-2-5 scheme.

He could excel in a zone blitz system much like LeBeau used Polamalu, or how Bettcher is using Buchannon in their DB heavy 4-2-5 scheme.

That's the compairson I had. Deonte Buchanon. Doesn't fit our scheme though

Agreed that this defense won't allow Peppers to showcase his versatility. Great season to switch to that 4-2-5 that more and more teams are adopting from college ball. Peppers would be ideal for that.

Love the player. Can't see the fit. But I guess this is a dream scenario, right?

Back
Top Bottom