Why Can’t We Turn It Around? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Can’t We Turn It Around?

Rams = Goff
Eagles = Wentz
Dolphins = BORING

that's why.

Ya but it's even more than that. Goff sucked his rookie year under Jeff Fisher. The Rams turned it around once they fired him and hired Sean McVey. And the last time I checked, the Eagles won the Super Bowl with their backup QB Nick Foles. It has more to do with good front offices that know how to draft well and good coaching. The Dolphins haven't had either for a very long time.

Last edited:
The simple answer is out performing the competition, and there are very few organizations we have outperformed over the last twenty years. As soon as you attempt to quantify outperforming the competition, multiple approaches start to appear. It is possible to list out some known differentiators such as:

• Quality of the QB
  • Quality of the head coach
  • Quality of the GM
  • Stability within the organization
  • The collective impact of a stingy defense year after year
  • The collective impact of a high octane offense year after year
It is important to remember these are differentiators not a description of the procedures and process that achieve any of these results. If it were as easy as many on this board try to make it appear, then everyone would be doing it. The bottom line is there is a reason successful NFL execs make a lot of money!

The simple answer is out performing the competition, and there are very few organizations we have outperformed over the last twenty years. As soon as you attempt to quantify outperforming the competition, multiple approaches start to appear. It is possible to list out some known differentiators such as:

• Quality of the QB
  • Quality of the head coach
  • Quality of the GM
  • Stability within the organization
  • The collective impact of a stingy defense year after year
  • The collective impact of a high octane offense year after year
It is important to remember these are differentiators not a description of the procedures and process that achieve any of these results. If it were as easy as many on this board try to make it appear, then everyone would be doing it. The bottom line is there is a reason successful NFL execs make a lot of money!

If it were as hard as the Dolphins make it look - nobody would ever do it.

I figured someone from Miami's front office would eventually show up and hit everybody with a quick "leave it to the professionals" post. Got my eye on you Mike.

The short answer, you can't scheme around losing the LOS.

When you need to upgrade 4 out of 5 OL spots, coaching and QB play can only do so much. When RT gets average blocking and 80-90 rushing yards, he's virtually impossible to beat.

When you blow a 17-0 2nd half lead and lose your starting QB because your only competent OL missed a quarter and a half of play, you have a big problem.

On defense, their simply is no reason to keep Matt Burke. We all wanted it to work but he's done nothing to warrant a shred of excitement about the future. They aren't the most talented defense in the league but I've seen this franchise field much worse than Reshad Jones, Xavien Howard, Kiko Alonso, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Robert Quinn, Jerome Baker and Godchaux/Taylor....(I'm not including Bobby McCain because......he's still Bobby McCain).

Alot of thought needs to go into the next major decision that involve the future leadership of this franchise. We(the staff) are obviously doing something wrong.

However, we are still 4-4 when we should be 1-7. We were 6-10 last year when we should've been 2-14.

Clearly though, Adam Gase is doing something right.

Find 4 new OL, a DT, DE, CB and a qualified defensive coordinator and let's try this again. AG needs to go the route of Doug Pederson and hire a former head coach who needs to go back to coordinating. Todd Bowles would be ideal but highly doubt he gets canned.

Coaches are ascending to top jobs much quicker (and younger) than ever where as back in the day they had to pay their dues. Matt Burke wasn't ready for his job.

Last edited:
1st & 20
Can't cover TE's
3rd & long a gimme for opponents every time
Awful playcalling
Awful D coordinator

It’s crazy to me that that some teams can turn things around so quickly, but yet for us after like almost 2 decades we are still in the same place. You could of stopped following the Dolphins in like 2005 and come back today and we’d still be in the same purgatory place.

You see teams like the Rams and Eagles turn it around in like a season or 2. Just sucks that we can’t draft or hire the right coach.

Why can’t we catch a break?????

The good news is, even with injuries, Miami can turn it around THIS year. No, not SB bound and not overtaking NE, but I still think this team has more talent than their stats show.
The bad news is it won't happen, ummm, barring Gase either actually acting like a legit OC or giving Loggains (sp) a shot at it. AND, if Burke can improve the run D. I will never believe the loss of Hayes explains giving up the edge on BOTH sides AND creating 20 yard gaps between the tackles. Again, sufficient talent is on the team.
I don't expect a turnaround. We've seen one of the 'twice a year' actual gameplans when Miami played CHI. And Gase is convinced the problem is execution.

It’s crazy to me that that some teams can turn things around so quickly, but yet for us after like almost 2 decades we are still in the same place. You could of stopped following the Dolphins in like 2005 and come back today and we’d still be in the same purgatory place.

You see teams like the Rams and Eagles turn it around in like a season or 2. Just sucks that we can’t draft or hire the right coach.

Why can’t we catch a break?????

Because of the fans. I know that might sound a bit harsh and some may not understand it, but as a collective this team will always be what we think it is.

You need real coaching. We lack that in Miami. I think Tbum did ok with players, but Tbum is terrible depth wise.

I would never give up a win ever. Hire people who can draft from 8-8

This! It’s the people in charge. I love the posters who blame the fan base. I needed a good laugh. Also, I love how people act like every good team in the league has had 5 or 6 years of 2-14 to load up. Laughable! The only way to get good according to Finheaven is have multiple really bad seasons. Funny the best team over the past 20 years hasn’t had a single high draft pick and when they get them they trade down.

It’s all about the people in charge. There have been more franchise QB’s acquired via trade up than sucking and taken at the natural draft position. QB is about identifying someone you like and going after them aggressively not going 1-15 and taking whatever is there. It’s like everyone forgets the 3 best QB’s on the NFL are a 6th round pick, a free agent and the 22nd overall pick. Darnold, Allen and Rosen were all acquired via trade up as well as Wentz and Mahomes. But having really bad years is the only way.

Sometime I feel like posters just want to throw there Dolphins merch on, watch the draft and high five there buddies because we picked someone in the top 5. Like when Dion Jordan was selected. If you consistently drafting high it probably means the decision makers will **** it up because they’ve been already ****ing up to get you there.

Last edited:
There is 1 answer...QB. It was our turn after the '07 season because we passed on Brees and hit rock bottom. Then Bill "fuked it up for everybody."

Well for starters, our QB, the most important position in sports, has been Ryan Tannehill for the last 8 years.

And then secondly, we are terrible at drafting, which leads to us picky terrible players like Ryan Tannehill, Charles Harris, and Devante Parker. All of which may be fine picks in the later rounds but not in the first.

We're not winning another division title or Superbowl until Brady retires.

We should be setting ourselves up for whatever year that happens.

Well for starters, our QB, the most important position in sports, has been Ryan Tannehill for the last 8 years.

And then secondly, we are terrible at drafting, which leads to us picky terrible players like Ryan Tannehill, Charles Harris, and Devante Parker. All of which may be fine picks in the later rounds but not in the first.

The Chiefs have a well-coached, but pedestrian talent-wise offensive line. But they have a top 5 QB (Mahomes), WR (Hill), RB (Hunt), and TE(Kelce). And Sammy Watkins is a first round talent when healthy. Quarterback being the main thing of course, but let’s not get bogged down on line talent on either side of the ball. Find some animals at the offensive skill positions and you’ll win in the offense-slanted NFL.

Back
Top Bottom