Why Can’t We Turn It Around? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Can’t We Turn It Around?

Arm strength, accuracy , throwing on the run, ability to run with the ball in the read option, and I would say Tannehill reads defenses as well as Goff,

Which is why we've seen Tannehil be great. What we haven't seen is Tannehil be great consistently.

He's a good QB. On a better team, he'd probably take them to the playoffs yearly but he'd get killed in the playoffs by a gunning QB. Tannehil will not out-gun another QB.

He just hasn't reached the next level and the fault IMO mostly belongs to a franchise that has gotten him killed.

Now he can't get on the field consistently. The window of opportunity has closed because of it. How can you get better if you can't play?

Its time to move on. I wish him success on another squad outside of our division.

Easiest way to turn things around is finding a QB, which we have no idea how to do.

Miami’s dedication to mediocrity is best understood when you focus on where they’ve failed to allocate proper draft resources, versus where the top organizations in the NFL have allocated their draft resources in the same time frame. Miami has failed to properly invest at quarterback, linebacker, and defensive back. The effort simply wasn’t there, especially at quarterback and linebacker. Meanwhile, Miami has thrown entirely too many draft resources at the offensive line.

Since 2001, the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Ravens, and Packers have been the most consistent organizations in terms of making the playoffs and appearing in the Superbowl. Pay attention to where the majority of their draft picks in first 3 rounds were allocated, as opposed to where Miami’s have been:

Quarterback:
Patriots – 4
Broncos – 4
Miami – 4
Ravens – 3
Packers – 2
Steelers – 2

The Patriots have used 4 draft picks in the first 3 rounds on QB’s during the period that they’ve had Tom Brady. If you look at Miami, it might appear that they’ve allocated the same resources in 4 draft picks in the first 3 rounds to the QB position also in that time frame. Not the same thing. One of those was on Pat White, which doesn’t count. The point is that Miami used 2nd rounders on Chad Henne and John Beck when they had absolutely nothing at the position to begin with in terms of starter or depth. The Packers have dedicated the same amount of draft resources to the QB position in the first 3 rounds with Aaron Rodgers as their starter that Miami has in the past 18 years. Let that sink in.

When you look at the quarterbacks Miami has passed on, and the lack of dedication to spending the resources necessary to create some surplus for themselves at the most important position in sports – it’s not hard to understand why Miami has been so poor for so long. Your goal should always be to try and create surplus for yourself at the quarterback position for quality depth and/or to flip in exchange for more draft capital. This is how good organizations stay ahead and play the draft game. It’s unfathomable that Miami was never able to catch on to how this works.

Linebacker:
Steelers – 11
Ravens – 10
Packers – 7
Patriots – 7
Miami – 6
Broncos – 4

Think about the linebackers Miami has passed on over the past 18 years. HOF’er after HOF’er after HOF’er. They simply haven’t put forth the effort. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers consider the linebacker neighborhood prime real estate. Miami chooses to act like just a ditch. Linebacker is such a critical position to accumulate talent and depth in the NFL. They simply haven’t put forth the effort here in the first 3 rounds, and it has shown Sunday after Sunday over the past nearly 2 decades.

Defensive Back:
Packers – 16
Patriots – 16
Broncos – 13
Steelers – 12
Ravens – 9
Miami - 9

Pitiful. This is another position where you must acquire talent and depth. You can’t do it if you’re not spending the picks there in the first 3 rounds. The few picks Miami has spent here have mostly been disappointments. They’re giving themselves no margin for error at the most important positions. This is the pattern Miami has established.

Offensive Line:
Miami – 13
Ravens – 11
Steelers – 9
Broncos – 9
Patriots – 8
Packers – 5

Miami has adopted a false philosophy in terms of how much they should be allocating to the offensive line in the first 3 rounds of the draft. They’ve invested more than any of these other teams over the past 18 years, and still can’t put together a functioning offensive line. Half of these picks they spent on offensive lineman should’ve been spent on quarterbacks, linebackers, and defensive backs.

Here’s the bottom line - the difference between Miami and the most consistent organizations in the NFL isn’t along the offensive line. Miami needs to get that out of their head if they ever want to stop doing the same thing over and over again and stay mired in mediocrity. The difference between Miami and the best organizations in the league is the quality and depth at the quarterback, linebacker and defensive back positions. They have to change what they’ve been doing in terms of how they think and how they perceive their own football team in order to ever get it turned around.

To be fair, teams with few big holes have the luxury of shooting for QBs, LBs, blah, blah. If Miami had moved up for Locker in 2011, fans would be livid. Bad teams can't afford to fail (though almost all do). Yes, there have been good QBs taken in the 1st, but top teams don't draft in top 5. More important, THEY DON'T MOVE UP. They don't have to.
In my experience 3 types of teams draft QBs in R1. 1) Top teams with few holes who can afford to draft and let a rookie season. 2) Teams with a QB near the end of life (E.g., Eli Manning). 3) Bottom teams with AWFUL QBs. There are certainly more than those 3 groups, but those 3 account for most R1 QBs over extended periods.
OL, I'll agree. There is debate here (everywhere) about drafting OL high ('every top team has a top OL') or drafting midround. I comd down on day 2 for OL. But, depth at QB and LB? Ummm, no, What depth do GB and NO have at QB? we've seen that. LB? Not much better. Yeah, 2-3 teams may have a couple of good LBs as depth, but beyond that? Not much. What top teams have is coaches who can scheme their team to hide deficiencies.
I agree Miami needs to draft better, and we can debate which position is top need, but, IMO, coaching trumps everything. Swap Reid or BB with Jackson, Gase, and 10 others. Which teams would be in the top 10 and which teams would be wallowing in mediocrity? And that's with the SAME personnel. I'm willing to bet Drake, Wilson, Stills, and others would be Pro-Bowl.

Whether we want to admit it or not this is the key to our season:

They would suck. You could do this for any of the top teams and they would suck. I know, excuses, excuses but this is insurmountable.

Funny part bud, this isn't even close! I deleted the 2nd half of post....

don't forget.....
Tunsil for a half that we were winning then blew
Larsen has missed how many series?
Lippet was supposed to be a contributor but really wasn't fully healed from his injury last year (if you want to count that)
TE's Lee and Derby
Wakes not on that list anywhere
DVP (injured or whatever, supposedly injured)
not that hes a major loss but he's been good at being an almost player this year instead of a nothing player but Harris

You can’t convince the same mentality that has led to Miami malaise that they are wrong about a simple basic premise of football.....

Without a winner at QB...you are mediocre.

Tannehill is not a champion.

Did this team make any effort in 2016 to move up from #8 to get to Goff or Wentz?....no

It stuck with a mediocre Ryan Tannehill.

In 2017....did this team try to move up 10-12 spots from 22 to get Mahomes or Watson?...no

It stuck with mediocre Ryan Tannehill and drafted a project pass rusher who sucks.

This is why the Miami Dolphins can’t ascend !

It's so much easier to make decisions in hindsight

So Goff didn’t set the league on fire as a rookie, and that is “evidence” that Tannehill is better?

I don’t even know how to respond to this. Goff is one of the most accurate passers I’ve seen in years. Do yourself a favor and watch some of his highlights this season. Or watch just his game against the Vikings. Then tell me Tannehill is better. Goff is dropping throws into spots that are incredible.

Agreed, That Vikings game showed me more out of Goff in one game than I've seen from Tanny in 7 years.

Well, if we're talking coaches in general, there are some who have done OK for themselves in some way or another.

Bowles was a good DC who has had a mixed record as a head coach. I personally started to believe he is a bad head coach after some insane things that happened in the last couple of years with the Jets, but he's had success post-Dolphins. Another case of a guy who is a good coordinator but not a good head coach.

Not sure about Vance Joseph. I don't think Denver's problems are all on him. I feel like John Elway is extremely overrated as a personnel guy and that once they pushed out Brian Xanders, the talent on that roster has been evaporating quickly.

Dan Campbell is doing well in New Orleans and currently getting some talk about being a head coaching candidate again. And good for Dan, I'm a fan of his. I thought he deserved honest consideration for the full time job and I wish he had stayed on with Gase.

Bill Lazor is doing OK in Cincinnati. I'll give the guy some credit. I still think he's a bad enough offensive coordinator to make Matt Burke look good, but he's having some success there right now.

The one that absolutely floors me is Zac Taylor being one of the Vegas favorites to be the next Browns coach? Is that a damn joke???? After Taylor left Miami, he became the OC of the Cincinnati Bearcats and his offense was a disaster. Hiring him as an NFL head coach based on his resume would be the most Browns move imaginable. I don't know who this kid's agent is, but he's a damn superstar in his field.

Tony Sparano (R.I.P.) did a fine job as an OL coach after he failed as an offensive coordinator. He was just over-promoted.

The one that really pisses me off honestly is GM Rick Spielman in Minnesota. Spielman did a horrible job when he was here, but as we look back in hindsight, I think it is even more clear than ever that Dave Wannstedt was the problem there. He's done very well in Minnesota and of course, Dave Wannstedt currently works on television and is awful there, too.
Almost 20 years body of work to dig through, and these are the most promising Dolphins offspring :lol: That's one giant bag of meh.

So Goff didn’t set the league on fire as a rookie, and that is “evidence” that Tannehill is better?

I don’t even know how to respond to this. Goff is one of the most accurate passers I’ve seen in years. Do yourself a favor and watch some of his highlights this season. Or watch just his game against the Vikings. Then tell me Tannehill is better. Goff is dropping throws into spots that are incredible.
And you act like Tannehill doesn't make those throws. Tannehill is every bit as accurate as Goff. There is no issue with Tannehill's accuracy. If you want to make the case that Tannehill's pocket presence is an issue I'll agree with you, but his accuracy has never been an issue. Goff isn't some master at moving or manipulating the pocket. He is in a brilliant system surrounded by talented players and isn't making wow type plays by extending the play ala Aaron Rodgers. I believe Tannehill would be just as productive as Goff in that situation.

yes RT is super accurate. LOL he is so accurate he is relegated to mostly 2-3 yard screen passes, and like Barney Fife, ONE bomb per game.

Starts with the Owner, don't think Ross is a bad person, he cares about Dolphins, desperate to win a SB but....his instincts are so poor.

When It comes to football operations Ross always bends towards people he likes over quality.

Grier, Tannenbaum, Ireland etc mediocrity reigns supreme. All have or had Ross in their back pocket for years.

Unless Ross instincts on football ops hires improves drastically, perpetual mediocrity will plague this organization.

Can I like this post 100 times? He nails the problem completely.

Whether we want to admit it or not this is the key to our season:

Picture NE without:
Mason or Thuney
Andrews their Center
A DE (Clayborn)
A DT (Shelton)
Best outside WR Josh Gordon
One of their backup LB's (probably doesn't hurt much)
Gronk (Grey was our Starter)

and these guys missing time
Brady (3 games and counting)
Their other outside WR Hogan misses at least one game
McCourty missed 2 games
Flowers misses 2 games (Wake is not on the above list)
Another end misses 2 games
Another end misses 2 games
For McCain Rowe is out for the year so they are worse off.

They would suck. You could do this for any of the top teams and they would suck. I know, excuses, excuses but this is insurmountable.

The Pats would still win the division.

Miami’s dedication to mediocrity is best understood when you focus on where they’ve failed to allocate proper draft resources, versus where the top organizations in the NFL have allocated their draft resources in the same time frame. Miami has failed to properly invest at quarterback, linebacker, and defensive back. The effort simply wasn’t there, especially at quarterback and linebacker. Meanwhile, Miami has thrown entirely too many draft resources at the offensive line.
Taken into context, losing organizations can show a common denominator for anything. The thing is that the Pats, Steelers, and Packers can miss the o-line because an average o-line gets a shot in the arm when an apex predator is looking over defenses. This affords them the luxury of drafting QB's for draft capital, ala Matt Flynn/Jimmy Garopolo. I submit that the common denominator with losing/mediocre franchises is poor coaching/coaching turnover, stemming from inept FO management. When was the last time the Phins had a good proven coach? The Jets? The Bills? The Browns? The Cardinals? You know...the ones who you figure very well could lose each week.

And you act like Tannehill doesn't make those throws. Tannehill is every bit as accurate as Goff. There is no issue with Tannehill's accuracy. If you want to make the case that Tannehill's pocket presence is an issue I'll agree with you, but his accuracy has never been an issue. Goff isn't some master at moving or manipulating the pocket. He is in a brilliant system surrounded by talented players and isn't making wow type plays by extending the play ala Aaron Rodgers. I believe Tannehill would be just as productive as Goff in that situation.

It's the passes in tight spaces I believe hes talking about. Be honest with yourself, how many of those tight throws have you seen Tanne make? Goff is doing it consistently. Its really fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom