Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front

No idea how this fits.
I dont think you really understand the meaning of that saying.
I communicated my position. If you can't understand it fine, we can unpack it. If you are going to dismiss it for no other reason than you disagree with it...there's nothing I will do for you to help you understand but direct you to conversations I have with posters with enough sophistication to know what is being said.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."

-Mike Tyson

The above quote is ready made for an instance like this. Our rook, is plug and play on Tua's blindside...ok, we shall see.
Isn't that the case with every draft pick?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."

-Mike Tyson

The above quote is ready made for an instance like this. Our rook, is plug and play on Tua's blindside...ok, we shall see.

Many people keep mentioning Tua's blind side this, and that. Reality is many people in here don't realize offenses a inherently right handed. You might see double tight end sets in some formations, but the tight end still lines up in the strong side which is the right hand side. We didn't swap hunt, or Jackson at any point when he came in the offense. Regardless what hand a qb throws, the qb still has peripheral vision of the field after the ball snaps and has to get rid of the ball after a specific amount of time, or after the play meets certain conditions (such as RPO). If anything, the left tackle with a left handed qb has an even bigger reason to protect the qb better, and that is because the ball is behind held to the left hand side. A good pass rusher will attempt to knock the ball out of the qb's hand and force a fumble. Most elite pass rushers tend to line up against the right tackle now a days, just look at TJ Watts for example. With that said teams balance out the offense a different way. If we start him at right tackle then we need to have someone line Robert Hunt at Right Guard. Hunt is a more natural run blocker, and Eichenberg more of a stronger pass protector but right now he is unproven in the NFL. If anything, Robert Hunt was the best offensive lineman, and ranked top 7 after week 10 last season. If our RT goes down, Hunt is more likely to substitute him.

I communicated my position. If you can't understand it fine, we can unpack it. If you are going to dismiss it for no other reason than you disagree with it...there's nothing I will do for you to help you understand but direct you to conversations I have with posters with enough sophistication to know what is being said.

You attempted to post in the boxing forum, my bad. Unless Mike Tyson was a tackle back in the days.

Nope...I'm predicting that he MIGHT be a better RG than Fluker, who was a poor Tackle.
With all kidding aside you may be right. He is very consistent with his pass protection technique. If he faces someone like Aaron Donald, which he moped the floor a few times during that rams game against the Dolphins then we won't know how he would do. Only problem with him being at guard is how good he is going to be on run blocking. Base on his game film to me he excels best at pass protection, and decent in run plays. He can go either way and at the end of the day that is the coaching staffs call.

So multi-year starters at major programs are better RTs than those who have done the job in the NFL for 10+ games?

That quote is definitely applicable to him because he's spent the lions share of his career on the left...now we move him the the right and he's supposed to be the guardian of Tua's blindside?

I never said he was better than Hunt, the coaches will get the best 5 out there.

Switching positions on the OL is fairly common, and he does have experience at both tackle positions. So the Tyson quote is overly dramatic for this situation.

I was high on Eichenberg and was glad we got him. I think he'll be the RT and do a good job but of course we'll see. One thing is for sure, he comes from a good program and has been coached well. Seems like a hard worker too so he has a chance to be at least a very steady OT for us.

I'm cautiously optimistic on Liam. I like that he didn't allow a sack but he uses a two-hand punch technique which generally isn't as successful against length and speed. Not surprisingly those were the types of pass rushers that gave him trouble in college. And the NFL has many more pass rushers that fit that profile. I think Phillips will be a good test b/c he uses a long arm technique that is the typical counter to a two-hand punch. My impression from the film is that Liam has better mirroring technique than Hunt, but I'm not sure he has better feet. I'm not sure Liam is a better T than Hunt. I'll be curious to see how TC plays out. And ideally I'd like Fluker to be our back-up RT.

Austin Jackson will be better at LT in year two.

Solomon Kindley looked better at LG, and will also be better in year two.

Robert Hunt looked good to me at RT, but I am told he will be even better at RG, and he will also improve going into year two.

If Skura comes in with his head on straight, Center should be a strength.

Liam remains to be seen. If he can lock down RT, we might have something going forward.

Two too many Ifs, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to work.

Fair enough, curious what you don’t like about him? Been a solid tackle in college for a major program, decent enough athleticism, good power, technique. Seems his main negative his short arms
From Notre Dame no less. You can trust ND lineman. He is someone Flo can insert to the line immediately, and forget about it for ten years.

Dj fluker is a bad tackle so if that’s his competition he damn well better win.

This team loves it some poor feet and foot speed tackles. Loaded with em

I was high on Eichenberg and was glad we got him. I think he'll be the RT and do a good job but of course we'll see. One thing is for sure, he comes from a good program and has been coached well. Seems like a hard worker too so he has a chance to be at least a very steady OT for us.
I think in everyone's lust to get All-Pros at every draft pick they lose sight at just how important it is to be finding really solid starters especially at important positions like Oline in the middle rounds.

I think in everyone's lust to get All-Pros at every draft pick they lose sight at just how important it is to be finding really solid starters especially at important positions like Oline in the middle rounds.
I agree, some are just not realistic in their expectations in that regard.

The other side of that, is that you do need some "elite", game in/game out players/playmakers, something we are lacking, with the exception of X. Even with him, we really only have only had stretches, with injury gaps in between.

Many people keep mentioning Tua's blind side this, and that. Reality is many people in here don't realize offenses a inherently right handed. You might see double tight end sets in some formations, but the tight end still lines up in the strong side which is the right hand side. We didn't swap hunt, or Jackson at any point when he came in the offense. Regardless what hand a qb throws, the qb still has peripheral vision of the field after the ball snaps and has to get rid of the ball after a specific amount of time, or after the play meets certain conditions (such as RPO). If anything, the left tackle with a left handed qb has an even bigger reason to protect the qb better, and that is because the ball is behind held to the left hand side. A good pass rusher will attempt to knock the ball out of the qb's hand and force a fumble. Most elite pass rushers tend to line up against the right tackle now a days, just look at TJ Watts for example. With that said teams balance out the offense a different way. If we start him at right tackle then we need to have someone line Robert Hunt at Right Guard. Hunt is a more natural run blocker, and Eichenberg more of a stronger pass protector but right now he is unproven in the NFL. If anything, Robert Hunt was the best offensive lineman, and ranked top 7 after week 10 last season. If our RT goes down, Hunt is more likely to substitute him.

The blindside in general is a misunderstood concept.

The QB is making a pre-snap read to identify potential pressure.

The QB has peripheral vision until the defender gets pushed behind him. By that point he should be able to step up, if he cant the guards are the ones whiffing.

The QB has reads on his "blindside" so will often start off looking in that direction to begin with.

Its really to only a significant issue on a handful of plays a season which are usually busted plays in other ways.

I think you have a problem conveying your point. I just read that last post and still can't figure out what your point is. Looks like a long-winded tirade directed at nothing.

Back
Top Bottom