Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front

An excerpt:

The Miami Dolphins’ latest investment into the offensive line comes with a bit of a different profile than the players that have previously been brought into the fray over the course of the Chris Grier & Brian Flores era with the team. The Dolphins have typically gravitated towards heavyweight offensive linemen — with their average size over two years of added linemen exceeding an average weight of 320 pounds.

Liam Eichenberg, the team’s fourth selection and No. 42 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, profiles a little differently. He attended the Notre Dame Pro Day in March at 306 pounds, well short of the typical Dolphins’ lineman. But despite his leaner frame, Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front.

Why?

Because while Eichenberg didn’t necessarily meet the expected size measurements, he meets several other standards that the Dolphins need up front to be better along the offensive line. Eichenberg did not concede a sack over his final two and a half seasons of play as the starting left tackle with the Irish. He isn’t necessarily the standout athlete that the Dolphins chased up front with Austin Jackson in last year’s draft, but he offers something much more important for a team that is looking to contend in 2021: polish and technique.

Eichenberg is considered ready to play.

And even though he isn’t as big as his new teammates (at least not yet), he’s still very much a stylistic fit for the Dolphins’ interior run game and can provide plenty of push for the team up front. Miami is hoping to breathe new life into their running game in 2021 and they should find that with Solomon Kindley taking over for Ereck Flowers at left guard and Robert Hunt kicking inside to right guard. But Eichenberg, assuming he beats out D.J. Fluker, is at his absolute best on interior double teams and driving the opposition off the ball on interior runs.

The Dolphins deserve credit for being open to a stylistic fit even if he doesn’t match up precisely to the look and feel of the kind of players they’ve attacked previously under the current leadership. After all, Eichenberg has the frame to add some size if the Dolphins deem it necessary — but his drive blocking ability at the point of attack already feels like a sufficient blend and fit with what the Dolphins are hoping to accomplish.

And as more of a technician than either Robert Hunt or Austin Jackson, Miami is also getting a more polished pass protector, too. The ceiling may not be as high, but the floor for 2021 and beyond is also considerably more stable as well.

If Eichenberg staves off Fluker at right tackle, Miami will have one of the youngest lines in all of football. And hopefully then the team will find the solution up front they’ve been looking for over the years.

The Dolphins deserve credit for being open to a stylistic fit even if he doesn’t match up precisely to the look and feel of the kind of players they’ve attacked previously under the current leadership. After all, Eichenberg has the frame to add some size if the Dolphins deem it necessary — but his drive blocking ability at the point of attack already feels like a sufficient blend and fit with what the Dolphins are hoping to accomplish.

And as more of a technician than either Robert Hunt or Austin Jackson, Miami is also getting a more polished pass protector, too. The ceiling may not be as high, but the floor for 2021 and beyond is also considerably more stable as well.

If Eichenberg staves off Fluker at right tackle, Miami will have one of the youngest lines in all of football. And hopefully then the team will find the solution up front they’ve been looking for over the years.
I still don’t get why he is considered a good run blocker and still needs to develop as a pass blocker. The guy didn’t give up a single sack his last two years at ND, yet pass blocking is suppose to be his weakness. I don’t get it. I think he was a great pick.

I agree, some are just not realistic in their expectations in that regard.

The other side of that, is that you do need some "elite", game in/game out players/playmakers, something we are lacking, with the exception of X. Even with him, we really only have only had stretches, with injury gaps in between.
It's always going to be more responsible to raise your team's floor and hope that some of the players work out and become elite than always drafting big boom or bust guys. Even when you hit, what are you left with? A roster full of holes that will take you years to recover from just in time to pay their gigantic salary for their second contract.

Exceptions are made for QBs, of course.

I think you have a problem conveying your point. I just read that last post and still can't figure out what your point is. Looks like a long-winded tirade directed at nothing.
If you don't understand what was being said and the context it was said then that's a good thing...

I can just ignore you on this thread....

I never said he was better than Hunt, the coaches will get the best 5 out there.

Switching positions on the OL is fairly common, and he does have experience at both tackle positions. So the Tyson quote is overly dramatic for this situation.
I didn't say you did. I asked you a question. You didn't answer it, so I'll ask it again.

"So multi-year starters at major programs are better RTs than those who have done the job in the NFL for 10+ games?"

You have a brain and an opinion on the subject. if not, you wouldn't be on this post splashing around.

The Tyson quote is overly dramatic because you are reading it from your level of understanding. Everyone has Eichenberg penciled in a RT because he played LT at Notre Dame. He hasn't played a down in the NFL against a pass rusher that is paid very well to beat him...and face this type of player every week.

This is why the Tyson quote is appropriate in my eyes. Let Eichenberg get in there against pros before we anoint him the RT. Hunt has proven himself on the edge.

They weren't great.

Being an optimist, I believe part of it was the "rookie wall". I also have hope experience, an offseason of NFL strength training, and a real preseason program will result in a big leap of progress.

I do understand the "show me" ppl. Hard to dismiss two decades of incompetence.

Not for me - LOL

I've only been a fan for 5 years and my only thin skin is "Lemmings" related. - LOL

What was your previous team?

Dolphins
Bears (worst fans (meanest) I've ever been associated
Panthers (turned out to be ***** cats)
Bengals (2nd to the Dolphins)
Cleveland (give me a break, I was a kid in Cincinnati in the 1950's and that was Ohio's professional Football Team)

I guess that list explains a lot - LOL

Dolphins
Cleveland (give me a break, I was a kid in Cincinnati in the 1950's and that was Ohio's professional Football Team)

I feel your pain. I grew up a Lions fan.....lol

Dolphins

Well hopefully we can keep ya around Ray

Austin Jackson will be better at LT in year two.

Solomon Kindley looked better at LG, and will also be better in year two.

Robert Hunt looked good to me at RT, but I am told he will be even better at RG, and he will also improve going into year two.

If Skura comes in with his head on straight, Center should be a strength.

Liam remains to be seen. If he can lock down RT, we might have something going forward.

Two too many Ifs, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to work.
I agree w everything u said. A lot of "ifs" and question marks about whether this line can be solid.

But we've known our line was def going to suck going into the season for how many years? Maybe it has worn me down and lowered my expectations too much, but I can live with some "ifs."

The idea we could even potentially be solid is basically foreign to me.

The blindside in general is a misunderstood concept.

The QB is making a pre-snap read to identify potential pressure.

The QB has peripheral vision until the defender gets pushed behind him. By that point he should be able to step up, if he cant the guards are the ones whiffing.

The QB has reads on his "blindside" so will often start off looking in that direction to begin with.

Its really to only a significant issue on a handful of plays a season which are usually busted plays in other ways.

Not sure if you are disagreeing with me or not but are making additional points to the point I am already making. The qb isn't suppose to telegraph where he is reading his passes but I'm sure you know that. I will say I will have to make some exceptions here with some qb's that drop back further than normal like Mahommes. My point is, the qb is suppose to get rid of the ball. Play's aren't designed to make the qb hold on to the ball forever. RPO, or any offense based on quick reading, or analytical reading. I mean, if tackle is defending against a defender rushing to the outside and the qb is in the pocket he won't be able to see them. If someone keeps getting beat, then the offense coordinator can choose to start calling shotgun plays, running the ball, or dropping back further. There isn't really anything set in stone but most people in here should get what we are saying.

Back
Top Bottom