Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front

I stayed when Gase & __________, both of who I hold in high regard, left.
Shocked Sesame Street GIF

What is it about Gase that you like?

Shocked Sesame Street GIF

What is it about Gase that you like?

Since you asked nicely:

I liked the fact that he was an exceptional OC when he had an exceptional QB.

I liked the fact that he turned down the HC job with San Francisco when they tried to dictate who his DC had to be. That took a lot of what we referred to in the service as "intestinal fortitude".

I liked what he got out of Cutler on a less than stellar Bear team.

I like that he got the best out of Tannehill his first year with the Dolphins.

I didn't like he got blamed for drafts dictated by Tannenbaum.

I did like that he would work with a player like J. Ajay and get him to act as an NFL player and not a Diva. It worked for a year, until the London Game. then AJ was on his own.

I liked that he focused on the play, not the player.

I like that he was more interested in football than his own persona.

That's not a bad list of things to like, is it.

Since you asked nicely:

I liked the fact that he was an exceptional OC when he had an exceptional QB.

I liked the fact that he turned down the HC job with San Francisco when they tried to dictate who his DC had to be. That took a lot of what we referred to in the service as "intestinal fortitude".

I liked what he got out of Cutler on a less than stellar Bear team.

I like that he got the best out of Tannehill his first year with the Dolphins.

I didn't like he got blamed for drafts dictated by Tannenbaum.

I did like that he would work with a player like J. Ajay and get him to act as an NFL player and not a Diva. It worked for a year, until the London Game. then AJ was on his own.

I liked that he focused on the play, not the player.

I like that he was more interested in football than his own persona.

That's not a bad list of things to like, is it.
I disagree with practically every point...but it is a nice list.

As with all rookies there will be growing pains.
I am over my disappointment with him as a pick.
yes I preferred Jenkins. But as I learn more about Holland
Having Liam and Holland by 42 I guess is better than
Jenkins and pick 50 and next years three.
I just so wanted a lineman that destroys the opponent’s
Maybe Liam is that guy. I know Jenkins has proved that on tape.
Im to old to run now and would rather get hit in the face,
but there was a day in my past that type of engagement was rather enjoyable to engage in,

But some of my past better stay there in the past. We should never underestimate , or judge as we don’t know peoples past. I did underestimate this pick initially, my Bad I broke my own rules.

I stayed when Gase & Tannehill, both of who I hold in high regard, left. I was curious what the Dolphins would do and there was no reason I could see to jump for another team.

I could always follow those guys to see what happened, but this board is addictive. I like most of the posters. I try to like the others and I can make fun of everybody when they screw up.

There is some value in that for a small personality type like me - LOL
You hold Gaze in high regard? WTH? Lol

Your Oline is only as god as your weakest link. 5 steady guys that can play well together is better than one super start but two bad players. Of course it'd be good to have 5 pro bowlers up front but that's not realistic.
Your point is sound but I don't think it translates well to Offensive and Defensive lines.
Why? We"ve seen mountains of evidence to the contrary. How?
A DE or DT that is 5 times better than those around them can cause 10 times the problems as we have all witnessed. One great lineman can lift everyone around them due to less attention paid.
And it's drastic. Like a DT that needs a Center, and Guard to stand a chance opening up everything for lesser lineman.
Same thing with super strong Offensive lineman. Sign an Orlando Pace and he alone can get your RB far better YPC. We've all seen it.

Your point is sound but I don't think it translates well to Offensive and Defensive lines.
Why? We"ve seen mountains of evidence to the contrary. How?
A DE or DT that is 5 times better than those around them can cause 10 times the problems as we have all witnessed. One great lineman can lift everyone around them due to less attention paid.
And it's drastic. Like a DT that needs a Center, and Guard to stand a chance opening up everything for lesser lineman.
Same thing with super strong Offensive lineman. Sign an Orlando Pace and he alone can get your RB far better YPC. We've all seen it.
Depends on how you look at it. Say you have Sewell as your LT and on any given play he doesn't give up a sack. so your star LT did his job but the RT gave up 2 sacks. Your LT couldn't do anything about that. if you have a weak spot then the defense will go after that.

I agree with you on the D-line where one player can do a lot of things even if he gets double all the time but when it comes to the O-line. I'd rather have 5 very good players working well together.

Fair enough, curious what you don’t like about him? Been a solid tackle in college for a major program, decent enough athleticism, good power, technique. Seems his main negative his short arms

The track record of lineman from ND has been pretty good. While this player has to sink or swim on his own, I like the odds of him developing in to a good player. Apparently so do the Dolphins.

The track record of lineman from ND has been pretty good. While this player has to sink or swim on his own, I like the odds of him developing in to a good player. Apparently so do the Dolphins.
I think the team was convinced all the way on their top 5 picks. Never used the whole clock on any of those picks and of course they went up to get L.E. so they liked him a lot, not to mention he was not going to be there at 50

Depends on how you look at it. Say you have Sewell as your LT and on any given play he doesn't give up a sack. so your star LT did his job but the RT gave up 2 sacks. Your LT couldn't do anything about that. if you have a weak spot then the defense will go after that.

I agree with you on the D-line where one player can do a lot of things even if he gets double all the time but when it comes to the O-line. I'd rather have 5 very good players working well together.
Not really. With your statement "your line is only as good as its weakest link" isnt at all accurate in any context. According to you, signing Orlando Pace does nothing if you still have the weakest link from last year still on the line. We've all seen that this isnt true. One super strong lineman or even just an upgrade can and will cause a chain reaction that strengthens all around them.
Using your philosophy, you can have a below average Guard and have 3 Pro Bowl players in every other line position and your line is only as good as your Center.
That's highly untrue.

Not really. With your statement "your line is only as good as its weakest link" isnt at all accurate in any context. According to you, signing Orlando Pace does nothing if you still have the weakest link from last year still on the line. We've all seen that this isnt true. One super strong lineman or even just an upgrade can and will cause a chain reaction that strengthens all around them.
Using your philosophy, you can have a below average Guard and have 3 Pro Bowl players in every other line position and your line is only as good as your Center.
That's highly untrue.
alright, fair enough if you see it that way. Lets just say I'm glad we didn't pick an OT at 6 and instead got us a top playmaker.

Back
Top Bottom