Why Not Draft Lamar Jackson? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Draft Lamar Jackson?

No QB is worth taking in the first round for the Dolphins in this year's draft. There are way too many holes and immediate needs that can be filled with the 11th pick. If Jackson or Mayfield is still on the board, I would rather see the team trade down to a team that has a man-crush on one of them and get another pick to possibly fill another need.

I am not saying we should draft the kid at 11 but the excuses being given are not very good. The guy is obviously talented and someone is going to coach him up and he is going to be pretty good IMO. To say that Allen is better than him when the guy played against worse competition and played is disappointing,

When a QB comes out and he posses tremendous skills and your first instinct is to say "well he will need to change position" or "he cant comprehend the playbook" it makes you wonder why the same thing isnt being said about the other QB'S.

Not exactly:

Pat White - 6'0'' 205
Lamar Jackson - 6'3" 212

Oh...and Dak Prescott is 6'2", 226

No way Pat White was anywhere close to 6’ and 205. I’m 6’2” and 210 and met Pat White in Nashville at the Titans game. I looked like a giant standing next to White.

I am not saying we should draft the kid at 11 but the excuses being given are not very good. The guy is obviously talented and someone is going to coach him up and he is going to be pretty good IMO. To say that Allen is better than him when the guy played against worse competition and played is disappointing,

When a QB comes out and he posses tremendous skills and your first instinct is to say "well he will need to change position" or "he cant comprehend the playbook" it makes you wonder why the same thing isnt being said about the other QB'S.

You yourself admit he needs to be 'coached up.' Lots of quarterbacks need to be coached up, and few of them are successful.

Think about some famous examples of quarterbacks who needed a lot of work on their throwing mechanics who were drafted in the first round on their talent, and consider how they turned out. The most obvious recent guys would be Aaron Rodgers, Tim Tebow, and Blake Bortles. One's out of the NFL, one's an interception machine, and Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for years while he fixed his throwing motion.

I think Lamar Jackson makes sense going to a team that wants to run a read option offense, or as a later round pick for a team willing to spend years developing him as a passer. In either case, if Miami spends the 11th pick in the draft (or the 43rd pick, is it?) on him, I'll blow a friggin' gasket.

You yourself admit he needs to be 'coached up.' Lots of quarterbacks need to be coached up, and few of them are successful.

Think about some famous examples of quarterbacks who needed a lot of work on their throwing mechanics who were drafted in the first round on their talent, and consider how they turned out. The most obvious recent guys would be Aaron Rodgers, Tim Tebow, and Blake Bortles. One's out of the NFL, one's an interception machine, and Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for years while he fixed his throwing motion.

I think Lamar Jackson makes sense going to a team that wants to run a read option offense, or as a later round pick for a team willing to spend years developing him as a passer. In either case, if Miami spends the 11th pick in the draft (or the 43rd pick, is it?) on him, I'll blow a friggin' gasket.

I understand that and I wouldn't want us to use the 11th pick on Jackson like I said before. I think as a developmental guy I would have no problem taking him later if possible. Just dont dismiss the guy as some bum at QB the guy can play. I almost feel that he is going to end up with BUF or NYJ and we are going to end up paying for it.

I have a pretty good idea why....
Because he is not a QB, he is an athlete posing as a QB who is riding the hype/culture machine hoping for a big NFL salary. This has happened on numerous occasion and every time without fail, the EXACT same shills get in here and sing the praises of the next wannabe slash sort-of "qb".

I doubt it happens, but if Browns drafted Barkley and Jackson they would cause a ton of problems for defenses. They would see a lot of 8 in the box looks and it would give them some open looks in the passing game, not to mention the defense would be stretched a lot too. Not saying he's a fit in Gases offense, but Jackson will have the same impact on defenses that Michael Vick had. We're not talking about a Hall of Fame level pocket passer, but a player that you have to work hard to defend.

Dolphins ain't drafting a QB til the 4th round. Period

I don't like drafting QB's that have accuracy issues in college, it rarely gets better in the NFL. Luke Falk out of Washington State intrigues the hell out of me.

So...I can't believe I actually feel the need to do this:

But I'm going to defend Lamar Jackson.

Do I want him at #11 if I'm running the team? No.

BUT...a few points:

1) Those of you who compare him to Pat White either a) have not watched Lamar Jackson play, b) did not watch Pat White play, or c) have been smoking something illegal in most states. They're not even remotely the same player.

2) It sure as hell to me looked like Lamar Jackson worked on being a more NFL-ready QB in 2017, and it might well have cost him for the purposes of Heisman consideration. More on this in a second.

3) Lamar Jackson's skillset is so far above a "spread/option QB" it's not even funny. Even more, I don't think he's a mismatch for Miami's offense. In fact, I think he might be a GREAT fit.

So last year, I watched Lamar Jackson. He was a QB who would run the ball as soon as coverage broke down. He was a tremendous athlete playing QB. When his first and second option weren't available, he took the hell off running. And I thought, "That's gonna get him killed in the NFL. He's going to be dealing with superior, faster athletes every single week at the next level. That's not going to translate."

This year, he was a different animal. Are there still *some* accuracy issues? Sure. But it's not Tebow-esque. (Show me the numbers all you want. Completely different style of offense. Tebow could not, on his best day, make throws that Jackson does.) And what he did this year really impressed me.

You know what he did? He used his ability to do something different than every other "run at the drop of a hat" QB has ever done, in my opinion. He used that ability to make defenders miss and *find more time in the pocket.* That is exactly what everyone under the sun has been clamoring for Tannehill to do, and this kid made a concerted effort to do exactly that in 2017. And he did it. It was pretty to watch.

From all accounts: He has arm talent. He has leadership. He has crazy work ethic. He's a good kid.

Now. All of this being said, his footwork drives me goddamn crazy. And it's not that he throws off his back foot so much as that he throws with his feet close together. All the time. It's a weird flaw, and I honestly don't know how correctable it is. If he can correct THAT? I think that in itself will help with accuracy issues. Throwing off a wider base will help balance and improve accuracy.

All of this being said? I think his ceiling is off the charts, because he has specifically focused on being an NFL style QB. He's not my first choice at #11...but it wouldn't really piss me off, either. If there's ever a situation where a QB could learn as a #2 for a year or two...this might be it.

Actually...now that I think about it...the best QB comparison I can think of is a faster, more elusive Steve McNair.

Actually...now that I think about it...the best QB comparison I can think of is a faster, more elusive Steve McNair.

He's got Mariota's legs and Bortles arm talent.

Back
Top Bottom