Why Not Haskins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Haskins?

I don’t know that I care all that much about the sucking wind thing at the pro day.

If he was gassed he made some nice throws. A little high on some but I’d probably chalk that up to being amped up.

Won’t surprise me in tbe least if he sees pick 13.

It’s overblown. Like really, really overblown

I respect anyone’s opinion, but he had a great workout. Locking on to something like that (while having no effect on anything) is kinda just like searching for another knock on a guy that you aren’t sold on

There’s not much substance in it.

I will say, he beefed up some since 2017. I’m not concerned about it though.

He’s a big dude. Big dudes often breathe heavy

I just don’t get your point. You can like a player, QB or any position, without liking him enough to trade away picks to go get him.

It doesn’t make him any more or less draft-able at 13, if I’m not willing to trade up and get him.

We just have a difference of opinion. I believe that the quarterback position is too important. For me, I wouldn’t feel comfortable making someone the face of my franchise if I would be against trading up for him. Think of all the elite QBs. Most of them didn’t fall in a teams’ lap. More times than not, teams recognize the competition for an elite QB prospect and make a bold move to trade up unless they already have the #1 overall pick.

To use a clichéd analogy (it’s 11:47pm and the first example that came to mind lol), who would you value more? The woman you feel the need to pursue, or the woman you’ll consider only if she walks in your directon?

Last edited:
The problem with this theory is, look at the QBs that are going to be available next year? Who doesn't have question marks? If there is one, Miami is going to be in the exact same situation next year. Kyler Murray, has one question, size. Hes going #1 overall. The QB with the least question marks is going #1. If you don't have a QB on the roster, you should be starting that process. Next year, we win a few games, then we are out of reach of QBs of even Lock or Haskins grade.

Lets just say hypothetically the Dolphins draft 10th next year. Who is available at 10 that doesn't have the same questions the guys do this year?

The argument for drafting a quarterback next year revolves around the idea that the overall grade of the quarterbacks coming out next year are higher than this year’s prospects. Furthermore, if the front office believes that two or three of the quarterbacks coming out next year all have higher grades than Haskins or any other QB this year, then they’ll have the ammunition to trade up as long as that potential trade partner isn’t drafting a QB, so that’s where they could run into trouble.

I admit that I’m fixated on Tua. The anticipation, the competitiveness, the accuracy.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but I’d rather go for it with Tua. No guarantee at multiple levels but I’d go for it.

Having said that, if I were another franchise, I’d suspect that Haskins is underrated. There are so many meat heads running NFL drafts that they see Byron Leftwich or whatever bias is out there. Remember MLB and the NBA started hiring high level thinkers —often ivy leaguers— to run operations. The NFL is behind the curve and still paying millions to grunt types. It’s a market inefficiency. These jobs should be filled with highly educated strategic thinkers who can obtain data from worker bee grunts and process at a higher strategic level. The fact that this hasn’t happened yet is why there is so much dysfunction in NFL front offices led by meat head logic instead of high level strategic thought process.

Haskins is not a Tua prospect IMO but there’s a lot to like. The one thing that I’d question whether he can effectively redirect in the pocket and that’s a trait I’m tired of looking at.

I’m holding firm and waiting on Tua. Lawrence is out there the next year in case. I’m sure as hell not using my dry powder for the quarterback position on Haskins. Not for Miami which has been in the quarterback abyss for twenty years. We can’t **** around anymore.

For the naysayers that think we can’t get Tua, my observation is fans wildly overrate the roster. This is as crap of a roster as you will see. If you are secretly thinking there is more talent here than is conventional wisdom, you’re overrating the roster. This is a crap team.

Last off season, we had a ton of homers loving where we were headed and using a lot of post hoc rationalizations in group think to convince each other we were secretly doing great. I was never in that camp. It was mismanaged and led us to where we are.

It may be a blessing because it might get us out of the cycle of irrelevance. If you think we aren’t in the running for Tua it comes down to how committed the franchise is. I think Stephen Ross agrees with every word in this post and will be pushing in this direction. It’s achievable unless they go into dumb ass mode.

Last edited:
I admit that I’m fixated on Tua. The anticipation, the competitiveness, the accuracy.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but I’d rather go for it with Tua. No guarantee at multiple levels but I’d go for it.

Having said that, if I were another franchise, I’d suspect that Haskins is underrated. There are so many meat heads running NFL drafts that they see Byron Leftwich or whatever bias is out there. Remember MLB and the NBA started hiring high level thinkers —often ivy leaguers— to run operations. The NFL is behind the curve and still paying millions to grunt types. It’s a market inefficiency. These jobs should be filled with highly educated strategic thinkers who can obtain data from worker bee grunts and process at a higher strategic level. The fact that this hasn’t happened yet is why there is so much dysfunction in NFL front offices led by meat head logic instead of high level strategic thought process.

Haskins is not a Tua prospect IMO but there’s a lot to like. The one thing that I’d question whether he can effectively redirect in the pocket and that’s a trait I’m tired of looking at.

I’m holding firm and waiting on Tua. Lawrence is out there the next year in case. I’m sure as hell not using my dry powder for the quarterback position on Haskins. Not for Miami which has been in the quarterback abyss for twenty years. We can’t **** around anymore.

For the naysayers that think we can’t get Tua, my observation is fans wildly overrate the roster. This is as crap of a roster as you will see. If you are secretly thinking there is more talent here than is conventional wisdom, you’re overrating the roster. This is a crap team.

Last off season, we had a ton of homers loving where we were headed and using a lot of post hoc rationalizations in group think to convince each other we were secretly doing great. I was never in that camp. It was mismanaged and led us to where we are.

It may be a blessing because it might get us out of the cycle of irrelevance. If you think we aren’t in the running for Tua it comes down to how committed the franchise is. I think Stephen Ross agrees with every word in this post and will be pushing in this direction. It’s achievable unless they go into dumb *** mode.

Good stuff. I would love to get Tua, having said that Haskins is not chopped liver. Can you imagine if we get Haskins this year, stash him on the bench. Go out and secure the number #1 pick next yr. We then trade it for a **** load of goodies and get some real talent on this roster. Get your QB this yr and it is all possible. Other than Tua I would rather have Haskins than Herbert and I don't think Fromm is better either.

Why not Haskins?

Because both our lines are a complete disaster.... and even Marino couldn't win with a dreadful defense.

Even if you believe that hes that good (I don't), our defensive front 7 is empty, and our O line might be worse... and even Dan couldn't win like that.

And if he sucks, I would have no problem being in the Cardinals situation either. Now, I don’t think Rosen sucks, but I think Murray is a better prospect. Even if Haskins comes out and does okay, but we still falter because of a garbage roster and we have a shot at a better prospect next year, see ya later Haskins.

I was actually thinking about giving Haskins two years even if we get the #1 pick next year. If we get the #1 in 2020 you trade that pick for a record haul. You build the team AND have multiple first and second round picks in 2021 and then you’ve got a shot to draft football Jesus.

I think so.

And I do think there's a good chance he's available at 13.

If Miami takes him, you have to admit it should've been an obvious pick. The offensive coaching staff that ran an offense through Tom Brady gets a crack at an immobile, 50-touchdown pocket passer? Seems pretty obvious.

The problem is, Chris Grier is making this pick. Not them.

Would this same regime have the balls to draft another 1st round QB next year if Haskins struggles? I would just hate to miss out on a overall better QB prospect than Haskins.

The argument for drafting a quarterback next year revolves around the idea that the overall grade of the quarterbacks coming out next year are higher than this year’s prospects. Furthermore, if the front office believes that two or three of the quarterbacks coming out next year all have higher grades than Haskins or any other QB this year, then they’ll have the ammunition to trade up as long as that potential trade partner isn’t drafting a QB, so that’s where they could run into trouble.

Good point. Not that I am against not drafting a QB this year, there are only 2 that Im in love with. But, its just so damn hard to evaluate a year away.

Would this same regime have the balls to draft another 1st round QB next year if Haskins struggles? I would just hate to miss out on a overall better QB prospect than Haskins.

No. They wouldn't. If they took Haskins this year they're not taking a QB next year unless everyone were to be fired.

I need some insider info on how Haskins visit went in Miami went and what the regime thinks of him.

It’s overblown. Like really, really overblown

I respect anyone’s opinion, but he had a great workout. Locking on to something like that (while having no effect on anything) is kinda just like searching for another knock on a guy that you aren’t sold on

There’s not much substance in it.

I will say, he beefed up some since 2017. I’m not concerned about it though.

He’s a big dude. Big dudes often breathe heavy

It's a data point and the biggest problem with it is how well it fits in with the other data points. He was slim and his feet active in 2017. He was fat and his feet inactive in 2018. He showed up to the Combine overweight and slow. He lost weight in the time between the Combine and the Pro Day primarily with diet, not working on his endurance, hence he was winded the entire passing session. You're seeing a trend take shape. It's his job to explain to teams why that trend will reverse, rather than get even worse.

To the extent you're seeing Dwayne Haskins slip down media draft boards, it's because the word filtering from the teams is that they're not comfortable with his "personality" being that of a franchise quarterback.

Reactions: A1.
It's a data point and the biggest problem with it is how well it fits in with the other data points. He was slim and his feet active in 2017. He was fat and his feet inactive in 2018. He showed up to the Combine overweight and slow. He lost weight in the time between the Combine and the Pro Day primarily with diet, not working on his endurance, hence he was winded the entire passing session. You're seeing a trend take shape. It's his job to explain to teams why that trend will reverse, rather than get even worse.

To the extent you're seeing Dwayne Haskins slip down media draft boards, it's because the word filtering from the teams is that they're not comfortable with his "personality" being that of a franchise quarterback.
Meh semantics. Im sorry I just don't buy that being an issue. I like Haskins. he strikes me as a good leader and is intelligent. Very accurate on top of that. I would bet on that everyday

Entirely too much emphasis gets placed on quarterback pro days period. For me, it's the least important data point of all. Good or bad. Any quarterback. I honestly don't pay much attention. You've already had too much data that is significant long before a pro day takes place.

However, if there is significance to the concern of the shape Haskins was in during his pro day - it's for the following reason. If you understand Haskins' background, you understand that his dream was always to play quarterback for Ohio State. That was his ultimate dream. He accomplished it, and it was a remarkable thing for him to do. But if he never dreamed beyond that, it could be a very significant look into the mind and motivation of Dwayne Haskins.

On the other hand, I've never gotten any inclination from a guy like Drew Lock that he dreamed of being anything but the president of Oprah's Book Club. Losing never bothered him.

It may be a blessing because it might get us out of the cycle of irrelevance. If you think we aren’t in the running for Tua it comes down to how committed the franchise is. I think Stephen Ross agrees with every word in this post and will be pushing in this direction. It’s achievable unless they go into dumb *** mode.

We probably aren't getting the #1 Overall Pick. Like, very probably. Whoever is getting that #1 pick, is very likely going to use it on Tua and not trade back. That being said, Fromm or Herbert would be fine consolation prizes....how much do you like them above Haskins though, because it's not just about Tua.

Why not Haskins?

Because both our lines are a complete disaster.... and even Marino couldn't win with a dreadful defense.

Even if you believe that hes that good (I don't), our defensive front 7 is empty, and our O line might be worse... and even Dan couldn't win like that.

Having bad offensive and defensive lines is a legitimate reason to kick the can on finding your franchise QB? Give me a break.

Back
Top Bottom