Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7

Please tell me any tight end drafted highly recently who has dramatically changed the offense he's in.
Offense has changed over the last few years, positions are not the same anymore. Hell a muppet QB can throw for 4k yards now.

I am not certain I see Pitts as just a TE.....

I think we will regret not drafting pitts. I feel like a lot of people on this board are drafting for need a nod just picking a wideout at 3. I would pick highest rated player on board outside of the qb postition. Drafting for need will get you Charles Harris.

To my knowledge no TE has ever been drafted that high. But, in all honesty, Pitts isn't really a TE, he's more of a mismatch slot receiver. Still, #3 is ridiculously high for a slot receiver, and Pitts isn't a true wide out. His skill set overlaps tremendously with that of Gesicki's, and while everyone loves the shiny new thing, I'm not convinced he'll be an improvement. Gesicki is already a dominant mismatch guy.

Personally, I'd much rather have an elite WR1 like Ja'Marr Chase. He's something in between a Jerry Rice glider and a Julio Jones monster. That's a player that will scare safeties deep, generate tremendous YAC, and has dynamite hands. Tua should flourish with Chase out wide and Gesicki in the slot.
Yessss!!

Because it is not a position of need... at all... Not even a little. Because his blocking is lacking. Because we have another TE who catches well, is a physical freak, and can't block. Because TE's don't instantly translate in the NFL
Physical freak is not how I would describe gesiki. Physical freaks are usually matchup nightmares, create seperation and get yards after contact, none of which he is even above average at. He can catch a football, thats about it.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't draft TE's Top 20. Pitts is different, because he's proven to be a dynamic receiver - out wide, from the slot, and in-line, and he's done it vs the best competition CFB has to offer. Don't even think about putting a Safety or a LB on him, but if you want to put your CB1 on Pitts, he'll **** him up, too.

He separates vs press, separates vs off, catches everything, and is dynamic with the ball in his hands. In terms of speed, I'm hearing 4.4's, but even if it's low 4.6's (which would be disappointing relative to how fast he plays), that's plenty fast for his size.

I also think he'll be a plus blocker pretty early in his career. He's on that trajectory.

Regarding the #3 pick, that should be QB or trade down. Period. If forced to draft a non-QB at 3, though, Pitts would be my choice. He's the rarest talent in the class. I also think Smith and Waddle will fall out of the Top 10, so you could move up from 18 without giving up too much to come get them. Don't think Pitts makes it further than #8. He and Chase are the skill guys I expect to go earliest. Miami trading down to that 6-9 range, drafting Pitts, then drafting either Smith or Waddle would basically be a perfect 1st Round.

How high he goes may come down to his 40 time. If he breaks 4.6 I would think there are going to be a lot of teams envisioning a Plaxico Burres type WR.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't draft TE's Top 20. Pitts is different, because he's proven to be a dynamic receiver - out wide, from the slot, and in-line, and he's done it vs the best competition CFB has to offer. Don't even think about putting a Safety or a LB on him, but if you want to put your CB1 on Pitts, he'll **** him up, too.

He separates vs press, separates vs off, catches everything, and is dynamic with the ball in his hands. In terms of speed, I'm hearing 4.4's, but even if it's low 4.6's (which would be disappointing relative to how fast he plays), that's plenty fast for his size.

I also think he'll be a plus blocker pretty early in his career. He's on that trajectory.

Regarding the #3 pick, that should be QB or trade down. Period. If forced to draft a non-QB at 3, though, Pitts would be my choice. He's the rarest talent in the class. I also think Smith and Waddle will fall out of the Top 10, so you could move up from 18 without giving up too much to come get them. Don't think Pitts makes it further than #8. He and Chase are the skill guys I expect to go earliest. Miami trading down to that 6-9 range, drafting Pitts, then drafting either Smith or Waddle would basically be a perfect 1st Round.
Great post.

Priority 1 is trading down a couple of spots and getting more picks.

If not, take Pitts at 3 and try to move up from 18 to take whichever of the three WR falls out of the top 10 (it’ll happen).

If you have decided he's your guy, is there really that much difference between 3 and 6?
Exactly. The whole all consuming fear of over drafting is trash. Get the guy you want as long as your pick is in the neighborhood. Sure, don't take Willaims at 18 if you are confident he'll be there at 36 but to take someone 3-5 picks early, what's the difference if your confidence level is where it should be. Pull the trigger, I'll take over drafting someone and get blue chip talent than to wait and keep getting the dregs so we can check some thermal box that makes us feel good about having used the pick wisely. Screw wisely. Let's get the best winners on the board.

I'm done with caution. Caution hasn't paid off for us. We need weapons and we need balls.

He isn't wrong...there is quite a bit of debate, tell me whats the difference between him and DK Metcalf? Have you watched the film? You should, the kid looks like a mismatch nightmare @WR or @TE.

I will be very curious how he runs at his pro day....@ 6-6 240+. If I like him at 6 overall, then I like him at 3 overall.
Because he classified as a tight end by many, some can’t imagine him getting drafted so high...I think many will be shocked how high he gets drafted!

I like the idea of Pitts and Harris in the first round. I think so many fans want to emulate the Chiefs. I’d rather have a big physical balanced team like the Buccaneers.

Great post.

Priority 1 is trading down a couple of spots and getting more picks.

If not, take Pitts at 3 and try to move up from 18 to take whichever of the three WR falls out of the top 10 (it’ll happen).
So Pitts is the numero uno non QB in the entire draft?

I doubt there is any GM, scout, or professional draft "guru" on the planet that would agree.

You've not watched him ! Gesicki is NOT our deep threat, he can't get open consistently enough to be anything like that. Hell I wouldn't even extend the guy if it were up to me, I'm not entirely convinced either that the FO do not share that feeling.

He's OUR deep threat TE. Smyth and the others certainly aren't.

Pitts will never live up to his hype. Name me 2 or 3 TEs that were drafted high that absolutely live up to the hype and high expectations, a top 10/15 pick. Pitts is just Devin Funchess 2.0

this right here 👍

KC keeps Kelce in motion almost constantly. ID the coverage using Kelce in motion, and if it’s man you’ve got the ultimate man beater, and if it’s zone he either squats in the soft spot or has the speed hit the seam. When you have a force like that, that you can move anywhere on the field and win, it opens up your entire offense. If we’re 1A and 1B w/ DVP and Williams again this year, I can’t think of a better way to get them in 1 on 1 situations more often.

Traditionalists won’t like it, and I understand that. Pitts is just different.

I like Pitts but I like Chase, Smith, Waddle, or Sewell better with the first pick by the Dolphins. I would have no issue with the Dolphins trading their pick at 18 and their pick at 36 to try and move up to select Pitts if he is still on the board in the 10-12 range but drafting him at 3 is too high, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom