Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7

Robinson was my first choice but it looks like the Bears will probably franchise him. If they don’t and he does hit free agency, he will be looking to sign a contract that pays him in the neighborhood of $18-20 million a year. That is probably more than the Dolphins will want to pay for a WR. Especially when there are a number of WR’s available in the draft which will cost a lot less money.

Based on some reports, it looks like the top WR’s who are now listed as free agents will be franchised by their teams or will be asking for salaries which will make it hard for the Dolphins to sign them. The next few weeks should be interesting as teams announce the players they are going to franchise.
I agree the WR's in free agency might cost way more than we want to pay, specially with so many options in the draft.
I'm still saying my #1 target in free agency is Linsley tho I'd settle for Andrews who should cost less. Having a top center like those two would be great for our very young O-line.

Offense has changed over the last few years, positions are not the same anymore. Hell a muppet QB can throw for 4k yards now.

I am not certain I see Pitts as just a TE.....
You're right, he's not a te. That's actually the root of the problem. In actuality he's a slot receiver and there are vastly more talented guys available in that role.

Tua or whoever the wb is needs a guy who can pull 8 catches for 100 yards a game regularly, not a guy who will average 4 catches for 50 yards.

I agree the WR's in free agency might cost way more than we want to pay, specially with so many options in the draft.
I'm still saying my #1 target in free agency is Linsley tho I'd settle for Andrews who should cost less. Having a top center like those two would be great for our very young O-line.

One aspect of draft strategy is determining what positions are loaded/weak in the draft. I agree, good WRs will be available through the middle of R1. Hunt for FAs at positions weak in the draft. No, that's not the ONLY criteria, but it can't be ignored.

this right here 👍

KC keeps Kelce in motion almost constantly. ID the coverage using Kelce in motion, and if it’s man you’ve got the ultimate man beater, and if it’s zone he either squats in the soft spot or has the speed hit the seam. When you have a force like that, that you can move anywhere on the field and win, it opens up your entire offense. If we’re 1A and 1B w/ DVP and Williams again this year, I can’t think of a better way to get them in 1 on 1 situations more often.

Traditionalists won’t like it, and I understand that. Pitts is just different.
It's indisputable that Kelce has a great effect on the game. The issue is that there's a higher proportion of highly drafted tight ends filling the rosters of the league than any other position. Every year we see multiple tight ends drafted highly because teams are looking for that ultimate mismatch. And almost all those guys ultimately have a pretty negligible effect on the actual game. But at least most of those guys can block.

Pitts may be a better version of Gesicki, but Gesicki shows the limitations of that type of player. Gesicki can catch almost anything thrown his way, but when you've got a guy not physical enough to separate like a regular tight end, nor does he have the speed or shiftiness to separate like a slot receiver, you just can't throw a ton of passes his way.

It's silly to dote over a tight end when people were acting like 4 catch 40 yards from Lynn Bowden were a revelation cause our receivers are so bad.

One aspect of draft strategy is determining what positions are loaded/weak in the draft. I agree, good WRs will be available through the middle of R1. Hunt for FAs at positions weak in the draft. No, that's not the ONLY criteria, but it can't be ignored.
Absolutely...

Tiers of talent, and depth at a position is one of the biggest indicators of what smart teams do on draft day. If you have 4 players on your board who are all in the same tier, to take the first on your list is a criminal decision. It's wasteful, and will cause you to fill fewer positions on your team.

It's like the old campfire joke punchline... patience jackass, patience!

Totally agree. When you compare the price of a free agent with the options you have in the draft then it should be an easy decision as to which way to go. If you're only one or two players away for winning the SB this year then going after two top free agents makes sense but when you're trying to build like we are then it makes sense to build thru the draft.

Because he classified as a tight end by many, some can’t imagine him getting drafted so high...I think many will be shocked how high he gets drafted!
There are plenty of guys I'm shocked how high they're drafted because teams make dumb draft decisions because someone out there falls in love with the best version of a player. I mean, JaMarcus Russell, ej Manuel, Christian Ponder, oj Howard....plenty of obvious busts from the get go.

The reality is that it may make more sense for another team to draft Pitts highly than us. It's silly for a team with no legitimate wide receivers to draft a hybrid with questions over some pretty immensely talented legit receivers. Tua was a really good qb prospect but I still question whether he was the right fit for a team that lacked pass blocking, weapons, and a running game.

I'd prefer to trade Gesicki before his contract is up for a 3rd rounder (yes, I think Grier can get someone to bite) and bring in a TE like Gerald Everett. Same receiving potential as Gesicki with the bonus of much better blocking in the run game.

Durham Smythe and Adam Shaheen have gotten another contract and Gesicki hasn't...as of yet. I'm looking at him not getting a Hunter Henry type contract.

You're right, he's not a te. That's actually the root of the problem. In actuality he's a slot receiver and there are vastly more talented guys available in that role.

Tua or whoever the wb is needs a guy who can pull 8 catches for 100 yards a game regularly, not a guy who will average 4 catches for 50 yards.
I do not see him as a slot receiver either, the slot I prefer small tough quick guys (Welker, Hill, Landry).

I see Pitts as something very different, I see a BIG X, BIG Z or Y/HB with more receiving skills. If properly utilized a mismatch nightmare for a defense, CB will be too small to cover him, safety too stiff, LB forget about it, in blocking there will be mismatches galore if the OC accounts for the size and skill set.

We could have the same capabilities as a double TE on certain plays without the downside of the double TE...... This plays to Tua's skillset while minimizing some Tua's of the limitations.

Good recievers will be available throughout rd2.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't see the drop off after the "big three" is that substantial, if any.

The drop off in hype is far greater than in talent.

I'd prefer to trade Gesicki before his contract is up for a 3rd rounder (yes, I think Grier can get someone to bite) and bring in a TE like Gerald Everett. Same receiving potential as Gesicki with the bonus of much better blocking in the run game.

Durham Smythe and Adam Shaheen have gotten another contract and Gesicki hasn't...as of yet. I'm looking at him not getting a Hunter Henry type contract.
I wouldn't assume MG not getting an extension is the Phins choice.

It may be, but it also may be Gesicki, and his agent thinks with another good season, a big FA payday is right around the corner.

I wouldn't pay him top 5 money either, but I also don't dismiss a few realities.

Statistically, he is one of the top recieving TEs in the league, while playing for 3 different OCs, including the disaster known as Gase, a glorified WR coach, O'Shea, and a senile homeless look alike in Gailey.

He has made substantial improvement every year since being drafted, including his blocking ability. It certainly isn't his forte, but he isn't the same turnstile he was as a rookie.

I don't think it is going to make or break us either way, but he doesn't suck, and has more value than for some give him credit.

This plays to Tua's skillset while minimizing some Tua's of the limitations.
Can you elaborate, from an X's and O's standpoint, why you say that?

What is Tua's skillset v shortcomings, and how does 2 TE sets accentuate them?

I wouldn't assume MG not getting an extension is the Phins choice.

It may be, but it also may be Gesicki, and his agent thinks with another good season, a big FA payday is right around the corner.

I wouldn't pay him top 5 money either, but I also don't dismiss a few realities.

Statistically, he is one of the top recieving TEs in the league, while playing for 3 different OCs, including the disaster known as Gase, a glorified WR coach, O'Shea, and a senile homeless look alike in Gailey.

He has made substantial improvement every year since being drafted, including his blocking ability. It certainly isn't his forte, but he isn't the same turnstile he was as a rookie.

I don't think it is going to make or break us either way, but he doesn't suck, and has more value than for some give him credit.
Everything you said is true...

That said, I would still see what I could get for him. If a 3rd rounder or 2nd, if we're lucky, comes into the equation...Grier should pull the trigger.

Gesicki is in line for a Hunter Henry payday (4 years...$40+ mill). I don't know if I want to pay him like that.

He's OUR deep threat TE. Smyth and the others certainly aren't.

Pitts will never live up to his hype. Name me 2 or 3 TEs that were drafted high that absolutely live up to the hype and high expectations, a top 10/15 pick. Pitts is just Devin Funchess 2.0

Can I please have next week's lottery numbers ?

"Better than the WR prospects" Really? OK!

He's the biggest strongest, maybe a little slower but not by much, the best at contested catches, the best at creating seperation, the biggest target area and the best blocker. Yes there is a legitimate case to make for him to be WR1, I think Kyle Crabbs has him at WR2 behind only Waddle, so it's not far fetched.

Back
Top Bottom