Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7

I agree on Sewell

I feel very similar about Pitts but I am open to all of them I expect Tua to be great with any of them

I also like Bateman a lot I like his strong hands and compete

If we got Pitts early we can still get more WRs and/or RBs later

I love a trade down but getting a partner is the key

I've only watched 2020 tape of Bateman, I prefer watching the most recent stuff for these prospects. That's perhaps why my view on him is a little down. I saw nothing in his 2020 tape to suggest round 1 talent. But he apparently was a lot better in 2019, I should look at that, 2020 was a weird season for a lot of these programs so you can probably give a lot of these prospects a pass on 2020.

Why wouldn't we trade back if we could? I'd be fine with Sewell, Pitts, Smith, or Chase, and one of those is going to be there are 8 most likely, so if it were me, I'd trade back a bit, pick up some draft capital, and maybe leverage that to move up from 18 to grab someone like Waddle. I'd much rather have 8 and 12 than 3 and 18.

I do not see him as a slot receiver either, the slot I prefer small tough quick guys (Welker, Hill, Landry).

I see Pitts as something very different, I see a BIG X, BIG Z or Y/HB with more receiving skills. If properly utilized a mismatch nightmare for a defense, CB will be too small to cover him, safety too stiff, LB forget about it, in blocking there will be mismatches galore if the OC accounts for the size and skill set.

We could have the same capabilities as a double TE on certain plays without the downside of the double TE...... This plays to Tua's skillset while minimizing some Tua's of the limitations.
We get none of the benefit of a double te formation because neither Gesicki or Pitts can block.

If we get Pitts at 6 or 7 it would be a steal. He's a game changer who will make other receivers better by having to account for him. He's a decent blocker also. Time will tell how things play out. Too many things could happen in trades and Front Office thinking. If the Front Off ice isn't 100% sure about Tua they may take Fields or Wilson at 3 and have Tua compete with that pick. The loser will back-up or get traded like Dallas did with Steve Walsh years ago when they had Aikman.

It's indisputable that Kelce has a great effect on the game. The issue is that there's a higher proportion of highly drafted tight ends filling the rosters of the league than any other position. Every year we see multiple tight ends drafted highly because teams are looking for that ultimate mismatch. And almost all those guys ultimately have a pretty negligible effect on the actual game. But at least most of those guys can block.

Pitts may be a better version of Gesicki, but Gesicki shows the limitations of that type of player. Gesicki can catch almost anything thrown his way, but when you've got a guy not physical enough to separate like a regular tight end, nor does he have the speed or shiftiness to separate like a slot receiver, you just can't throw a ton of passes his way.

It's silly to dote over a tight end when people were acting like 4 catch 40 yards from Lynn Bowden were a revelation cause our receivers are so bad.
Pitts and gesicki are not the same “type” of player in my opinion. Gesicki is a big body w/ a crazy vertical, strong hands and a huge catch radius. And that’s about all he is. Pitts is an all around TE, w/ the athleticism and skill to play outside and win. Gesicki is no where near as physical as Pitts. Pitts wins vs CBs, LBs, Safeties bc he is physical, fast, and has short area athleticism. Gesicki wins bc he can jump higher than his competition and has sticky hands. There’s a huge difference in the players.

Pitts and gesicki are not the same “type” of player in my opinion. Gesicki is a big body w/ a crazy vertical, strong hands and a huge catch radius. And that’s about all he is. Pitts is an all around TE, w/ the athleticism and skill to play outside and win. Gesicki is no where near as physical as Pitts. Pitts wins vs CBs, LBs, Safeties bc he is physical, fast, and has short area athleticism. Gesicki wins bc he can jump higher than his competition and has sticky hands. There’s a huge difference in the players.
Last I checked Pitts doesn't win versus safeties, Cbs, and lbs because he hasn't played in the NFL as far as I'm aware. People are just projecting that he's going to because it's fun to imagine that draft prospects will dominate the NFL like they did in college. In fact he's a tweener who will face linebackers fast enough to keep up with him and dbs physical enough to keep up.

Pitts will be a nice component of an offense if drafted by a team with the right established offense. Chances are though he won't, and he's probably gonna spend his career in the 40 to 50 catch range on a team that imagined he'd become a dominant force. That’s not good enough for the draft positions being discussed.

If we get Pitts at 6 or 7 it would be a steal. He's a game changer who will make other receivers better by having to account for him. He's a decent blocker also. Time will tell how things play out. Too many things could happen in trades and Front Office thinking. If the Front Off ice isn't 100% sure about Tua they may take Fields or Wilson at 3 and have Tua compete with that pick. The loser will back-up or get traded like Dallas did with Steve Walsh years ago when they had Aikman.
Please tell me a few things.

1. What production you realistically expect from Pitts
2. A former draft prospect drafted in the same position that that has actually generated those numbers
3. Whether or not that production is worth a 6th overall pick

Yes - best offensive skill player (non qb) in the draft trade Gisecki - get a late first for him -

Dolphins need to go all in on getting top 100 choices - they have roughly 5 now - 7 would be ideal....

See if they get Pitts - plus 2 receivers - 1 Rb -1 olineman and 1 pass rushing Lb - they can take another RB later too plus a safety plus a nose....

then free agency a rb, receiver and 2 more corners - plus the center from GB Linsey - a pass rusher too...

There are plenty of guys I'm shocked how high they're drafted because teams make dumb draft decisions because someone out there falls in love with the best version of a player. I mean, JaMarcus Russell, ej Manuel, Christian Ponder, oj Howard....plenty of obvious busts from the get go.

The reality is that it may make more sense for another team to draft Pitts highly than us. It's silly for a team with no legitimate wide receivers to draft a hybrid with questions over some pretty immensely talented legit receivers. Tua was a really good qb prospect but I still question whether he was the right fit for a team that lacked pass blocking, weapons, and a running game.
There is no bigger mismatch receiver in this draft than Kyle “Megatron Pitts.

You remind me of the posters that thought I was crazy last year advocating Herbert over Tua......

Last I checked Pitts doesn't win versus safeties, Cbs, and lbs because he hasn't played in the NFL as far as I'm aware. People are just projecting that he's going to because it's fun to imagine that draft prospects will dominate the NFL like they did in college. In fact he's a tweener who will face linebackers fast enough to keep up with him and dbs physical enough to keep up.

Pitts will be a nice component of an offense if drafted by a team with the right established offense. Chances are though he won't, and he's probably gonna spend his career in the 40 to 50 catch range on a team that imagined he'd become a dominant force. That’s not good enough for the draft positions being discussed.
Projecting, yes sir. That’s what we do w/ college prospects.

I'm old enough to remember when Gonzo came into the league... at the time, many of the FFLs considered calling him a WR because of the fact that he usually lined up in the slot and rarely blocked much. I was in one FFL that did reassign him to WR (and believe me, I bitched... I had him).

But this is the new style of TE in our new passing league... blocking TEs who also catch passes are so much more valuable in a run-first offense... which almost no one runs anymore.

Calling him a big slot receiver is technically correct... but HUGE slot receiver would be closer to true, so we can just stick with Tight End... even though few of them play tight any longer.

I'm old enough to remember when Gonzo came into the league... at the time, many of the FFLs considered calling him a WR because of the fact that he usually lined up in the slot and rarely blocked much. I was in one FFL that did reassign him to WR (and believe me, I bitched... I had him).

But this is the new style of TE in our new passing league... blocking TEs who also catch passes are so much more valuable in a run-first offense... which almost no one runs anymore.

Calling him a big slot receiver is technically correct... but HUGE slot receiver would be closer to true, so we can just stick with Tight End... even though few of them play tight any longer.
Plenty of good offenses are out there with tight ends that block. Just because it's a passing league doesn't mean the tight ends are doing the heavy work. Teams are using slot receivers and receiving backs more.

Like the fullback, there's never been a time in the league when the tight end has been less essential.

Fans obsessed with this need to get this- this FO will not draft a TE. Coming on here complaining draft nite when they dont draft Pitts is a total waste and just stupid.

Back
Top Bottom