Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7

Plenty of good offenses are out there with tight ends that block. Just because it's a passing league doesn't mean the tight ends are doing the heavy work. Teams are using slot receivers and receiving backs more.

Like the fullback, there's never been a time in the league when the tight end has been less essential.
Sure... we have one of those, but the days of the two way TE are largely over.

Sure... we have one of those, but the days of the two way TE are largely over.
We have a guy labeled a te who is really a slow slot receiver. We just spent an entire season watching an offense struggle because their receivers didn't get separation. Gesicki probably saw more snaps on offense than any other skill position player this year. And we had a not very good offense and Gesicki only got 50 catches. We're also more predictable and less efficient as a whole on offense as we either have to deal with his lack of run blocking prowess or telegraph our intent to run by subbing a guy like Shaheen in there.

I'm not trying to disparage Gesicki. He's a good component. But you want a component to augment better pieces. A really dangerous offense is one where the tight end is the 3rd or 4th option and can still ball. An offense where the te is the first option is probably a bad one because tight ends just don't have the raw production. Our only viable receiver is an oft injured DVP and people are clamoring for a guy whose position can't carry an offense.

We have a guy labeled a te who is really a slow slot receiver. We just spent an entire season watching an offense struggle because their receivers didn't get separation. Gesicki probably saw more snaps on offense than any other skill position player this year. And we had a not very good offense and Gesicki only got 50 catches. We're also more predictable and less efficient as a whole on offense as we either have to deal with his lack of run blocking prowess or telegraph our intent to run by subbing a guy like Shaheen in there.

I'm not trying to disparage Gesicki. He's a good component. But you want a component to augment better pieces. A really dangerous offense is one where the tight end is the 3rd or 4th option and can still ball. An offense where the te is the first option is probably a bad one because tight ends just don't have the raw production. Our only viable receiver is an oft injured DVP and people are clamoring for a guy whose position can't carry an offense.
We have a TE who is better than what 20 other teams have, because Gesicki is quite good. He's no Kelce, but no one else is either.

...and most TEs who catch a lot of passes don't block well anymore, and that's partially because there are only like 2-3 running teams left in the NFL. The original thought of a TE was that it would surprise you when he slipped out and caught a pass. Mike Ditka was considered to be a GREAT Tight End in the old days and he only caught more than 60 passes once in his career. All of the old Y-style Tight Ends were blockers first... receivers second.

If you want this style of TE, then you'll want Friermuth... or maybe to pry Goedert away from Philly. But we'll also need to bring in a better Center, RT, and a power back to really get full value out of that sort of offensive weapon. You'll be running the Titans offense.

Which would turn Tua into a game manager... and I don't think this is the plan.

You say that our receivers failed to get separation... and I respond, yes, we need a real slot receiver, maybe two... but obtaining Pitts when you already have Gesicki is, at best, a nominal upgrade... and that's if he doesn't play like a typical rookie TE and disappear completely. Or... we could draft Friermuth and jettison the perfectly serviceable Smythe... which I also see as a very nominal upgrade, at best.

Or... we could get separation by drafting some slot receivers, and give the receivers a bit more opportunity by improving our lackluster line. Which is what I think we'll do.

You still think he's only a TE, not worth debating with you.
These are the same people who were so sure Tua was superior to Herbert...when Pitts is tearing this league up, they will be criticizing Greer if he passes on him....it’s like Groundhog Day every year!

These are the same people who were so sure Tua was superior to Herbert...when Pitts is tearing this league up, they will be criticizing Greer if he passes on him....it’s like Groundhog Day every year!
I remember 99 percent on this board were against drafting Herbert last year. I looked at his tape and all I saw was a legit 6’6 , can make every throw QB prospect. And I said I would be happy with either Tua or Herbert. I think Tua is going to have a really good year in 2021.

Has it occurred to you that some of us can conceive a player tearing it up with another team, and not doing the same thing here?

Generally speaking, you shouldn't draft TE's Top 20. Pitts is different, because he's proven to be a dynamic receiver - out wide, from the slot, and in-line, and he's done it vs the best competition CFB has to offer. Don't even think about putting a Safety or a LB on him, but if you want to put your CB1 on Pitts, he'll **** him up, too.

He separates vs press, separates vs off, catches everything, and is dynamic with the ball in his hands. In terms of speed, I'm hearing 4.4's, but even if it's low 4.6's (which would be disappointing relative to how fast he plays), that's plenty fast for his size.

I also think he'll be a plus blocker pretty early in his career. He's on that trajectory.

Regarding the #3 pick, that should be QB or trade down. Period. If forced to draft a non-QB at 3, though, Pitts would be my choice. He's the rarest talent in the class. I also think Smith and Waddle will fall out of the Top 10, so you could move up from 18 without giving up too much to come get them. Don't think Pitts makes it further than #8. He and Chase are the skill guys I expect to go earliest. Miami trading down to that 6-9 range, drafting Pitts, then drafting either Smith or Waddle would basically be a perfect 1st Round.
accurate imo, Pitts can get his body fundamentally in the correct position to block, Gesicki cannot.

Honestly in no way shape of form do I consider Gesicki a tight end, I just make him part of the receiver unit with a role in the team and continue to look to build the tight end unit looking for a dynamic player who isn’t a tell on the field.

It's indisputable that Kelce has a great effect on the game. The issue is that there's a higher proportion of highly drafted tight ends filling the rosters of the league than any other position. Every year we see multiple tight ends drafted highly because teams are looking for that ultimate mismatch. And almost all those guys ultimately have a pretty negligible effect on the actual game. But at least most of those guys can block.

Pitts may be a better version of Gesicki, but Gesicki shows the limitations of that type of player. Gesicki can catch almost anything thrown his way, but when you've got a guy not physical enough to separate like a regular tight end, nor does he have the speed or shiftiness to separate like a slot receiver, you just can't throw a ton of passes his way.

It's silly to dote over a tight end when people were acting like 4 catch 40 yards from Lynn Bowden were a revelation cause our receivers are so bad.
Gesicki is imo one of the worst route runners in the league, and it’s not because he doesn’t try, it’s just the way his coordination and body frame dictates His movement skills, he simply cannot make sharp cuts, or stop on a dime.

this all leads to Gesicki not separating well...at all.

Gesicki wins exactly how I thought he would win at this level and all it is is a math equation relative to physics.

Height+Length x Vert + incredible hands = Best catch radius in football and some of the best hands to finish.

Just look at the history of TEs drafted that high and tell me if they were worthy of it.
I always feel like that is a poor argument. What you have to do is look at Pitts compared to what else is available in his draft class. He is clearly one of the top three skill players available in his draft class and one of the top ten players available overall. If Miami isn't taking a QB at #3 and they can't move down, who the hell are you going to take? Pitts is just as good as anyone else you could take there and better than almost everyone else.

I like that he comes away with contested balls, he doesn’t lose concentration with contact

I would only draft Pitts in a trade down where we pick up a #1 2022 and at least a 3rd rounder 2021. And if we sign a quality WR FA and increase our salary cap by restructuring or cutting WR depth.

Back
Top Bottom