Why O'Shea Was Fired | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why O'Shea Was Fired

On a somewhat related note, it appears that Coach Flo wants to build this team into a strong defense + strong running game team. Solid conceptually. We can win with that formula. But, pairing the most injury-prone QB in the draft of the last 5+ years with an OL that cannot pass protect ... not really a recipe for success. I'm hoping we let Tua heal up in 2020, and avoid rushing a guy back from a hip injury and wrecking his career like we did with Mike Pouncey. Sure, QB isn't the physical position that OC is ... but Tua's barely six feet tall and has a history of injuries. Most coaches would get OL who could pass protect to protect their rookie QB. Or, if they weren't going to do that, they might get a QB that didn't have those injury concerns. But hey, the Dolphins have a long history of getting burned by drafting injury-prone players or rushing them back too soon, so why stop now.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. And sure, it's worked for a couple of supremely talented, exceptionally well-coached teams. But it's a formula from the past for a reason. It's not what the current rules favor.

I don't have a problem with the firing of O'Shea even though the offense was doing better at the end of the year. But I do have a problem with the hiring of Gailey. He isn't the long term answer at OC because of his age. By the time Tua hits his stride in a few years, Flores will probably be looking at needing to find a new OC. I just wish he would have found another young OC instead of bringing in Gailey.

I'm sure they're planning on having the internal replacement on hand before Gailey leaves. If they don't know who the new OC is two years from now then something has gone wrong. It shouldn't come as a surprise if after this season one of the assistants get a bump in title and pay in preparation.

It is going to be a strange season if Tua doesn't play. Everyone in that building knows everything they're doing is geared towards the development of Tua and I can imagine the Fitzpatrick centered offense almost being an afterthought. Is there any real value in building an offense around his strengths?

He echo's some of what Flores said last year but didn't mention running the ball part where Flores said it was also to complicated and there was to much movement meaning he had 3 guy's pulling around to lead the way on a running play and most of the offensive line was bottom barrel or off the streets and didn't have the athletic ability to run the play even if they understood it. Where everyone blames the offensive line and running backs some of the running game failure seemed to be scheme driven.

O'Shea's seemed to be exceptional good at scheming the passing game even if some of the receivers failed to grasp everything he was teaching or was it thank god Fitzpatrick was there? Don't forget Jim Caldwell's part in this decision, he was suppose to help ease Flores transition into being a head coach and for some reason he had a season ending medical problem (cough cough) and Chan Gailey who's a former head coach along with being an offense coordinator can fill both roles, offer head coaching advise along with being the offensive coordinator.

Seems to me the core proposition of this article was already in the bank.
SOS build a "system" for your players or force your players into a "system."
Both concepts have worked -- but either way you better be able to adapt
your system relative to overall experience or ideally -- a young team
ramping up TOGETHER within the same system. Tho of course the
glory days of that approach are pre free-agency / salary cap...

I'm sure they're planning on having the internal replacement on hand before Gailey leaves. If they don't know who the new OC is two years from now then something has gone wrong. It shouldn't come as a surprise if after this season one of the assistants get a bump in title and pay in preparation.

It is going to be a strange season if Tua doesn't play. Everyone in that building knows everything they're doing is geared towards the development of Tua and I can imagine the Fitzpatrick centered offense almost being an afterthought. Is there any real value in building an offense around his strengths?

No there's not because I don't expect Fitzpatrick to even be on the roster in 2021.

I get it...but color me as a fan that wants to the offense to be super difficult. Now if the OC can’t teach it, that’s an issue. Which clearly was the case. But still.

That makes no sense. Your telling me O’Shea couldn’t dumb down the playbook? The answer was to fire him? Well that’s solid leadership.

Not as easy as you're thinking. It wasn't a playbook issue as much as it is a scheme issue. Few teams run the offensive scheme the Patriots run - almost everyone else runs something evolved from the Air Coryell or the West Coast offense, even if the plays aren't the same as they were years ago there is still some commonality to it all. If players don't understand the basis of the system at all, then there is nothing to build on. Maybe O'Shea get's a pass if he has a track record...but he doesn't. He was a one year guy and while he had respectable passing numbers, our line play and running game are among some of the worst the NFL has seen. That's not an exaggeration, that's stats.

We already pretty much ruined a shot at developing one young Qb in Rosen. Yeah I know that many on here hated Rosen before we even acquired him because they only ever wanted Tua, but O'Shea's firing pretty much says definitively that Rosen wasn't the only problem, and that it was a problem through the offensive roster. Rosen's problem is certainly not throwing ability (his placement and touch is far better than Tannehill or Henne were as young QB's), it's processing. When this team got beat by more than a combined 100 points in the first two weeks, it certainly didn't look like anyone on offense knew what they were doing. When we came out of a bye week and could scarcely run a play with Rosen without him getting hit almost immediately after the snap, or ball carriers hit behind the line of scrimmage, it certainly didn't seem like anyone knew what they were doing. O'Shea's overall performance was salvaged by a wonderful job done by Fitzpatrick, whose processing speed was extraordinary. He's also one of the smartest QB's to ever play in the NFL.

Why take that chance with Tua?

So basically we have a bunch of lazy players who were too busy flunking classes and spending time in clubs to do their profession properly.

This raises serious questions about Flores and the players.

That makes no sense. Your telling me O’Shea couldn’t dumb down the playbook? The answer was to fire him? Well that’s solid leadership.
Maybe he didn't want to change his offense. Maybe Flores asked him if he would simplify the offense and O'Shea said that he did not want to change it. So Flores decided to let him go. None of us knows what actually happened. Why trash Flores for moving on when you don't know how everything actually went down.

So basically we have a bunch of lazy players who were too busy flunking classes and spending time in clubs to do their profession properly.

This raises serious questions about Flores and the players.
Where did you get that information from? Care to share your source?

I get it...but color me as a fan that wants to the offense to be super difficult. Now if the OC can’t teach it, that’s an issue. Which clearly was the case. But still.

You need the players to implement it and most importantly the QB to lead the way. Clearly the hope is that Tua can become that but we can be fairly confident that will not be the case in year one. Even Brady and Manning needed time.

To me it make a lot of sense to start simple and try to build on a solid foundation.

Back
Top Bottom