Why We Made The Right Call | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why We Made The Right Call

Your sample size means nothing as it is merely people who post here, and who are mostly loyal diehards. Go to other teams sites and talk to people of other teams who know football, and the majority of them will tell you Tannehill sucks.

Look I understand. Tannehill is a great guy. He looks the part. Hot wife. I badly wanted him to be the guy but it's evident he isn't.

It's been so long since we've had good QB play, you guys don't even know what it looks like anymore.

You're entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to refute it as vacuum-visioned.

I think the problem is that so many were against his drafting and then dug themselves into anti-Tannehill positions over the next few years that they/you would rather think of 2016 as a "Pam Ewing Dream" rather than the reality that after so many systems, being saddled with nepotistic unqualified QB coaches and the worst OL's in the league, once Gase's system finally kicked in, over his last 8 game stretch, RT17 was putting up many top 8-10 league metrics. And then of course, there was "scoreboard."

Gotta admit that I sincerely believe that the TanneRainmen breathed a sigh of relief once Calais Campbell's dirty shot eliminated what would have been a definitive reason to put this BS to bed once and for all. And the irony is that in the AZ game, Tannehill was balling.

What we supporters saw was a QB finally coming of age under the right tutelage. We saw a QB who had the 4th best QBR from a rare clean pocket and the 2nd or 3rd best long ball completion record over the entire year. Given that all this was accomplished with a low-20s ranked OL, still sub-par but a helluva lot better than the prior worst and 2nd worst the prior 2 years, our vision had perspective vs being "vacuumed."

Also consider that from 2013-15, Tannehill got Bess and Hartline paid and won a total of 4 more games than did Matty Ice with 5-7 years in the pros and receivers and other resorces Tannehill would have killed for. And then there are the 3 7-9 consecutive seasons for Brees. But of course, to your point about how Tannehill may be looked at on other forums, on FH these guys are teflon but on Atlanta and NO forums, not so much during those dry spells. With the exception of Rodgers, and sometimes Brady, opposing team forums don't hold other QBs in high esteem, and even here and on the jest forum, there are man y who contend that Brady is a system QB who'd be a lot less w/o his HC and system.

Bottom Line: After seeing what Tannehill was capable of doing in Gase's system coupled with the incredible pinpointed throws he's managed in the past, many of us have plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the premise that if he stays healthy and his mobility is not compromised, there's plenty of reason for optimism going forward.

Oh and as an aside, I had to laugh at Vince Wonderlic6's mispronunciation of "Harold" last night knowing that he's the cream of the crop of all of 16QBs in 30+ years who scored Jackson's 13 or below. Coupled with being generously described as a white board "project" I would hope he would not be in the alternative QB discussion knowing that rare anomalies occur but not in the first or second rounds.

And Darnold? Todd McShay gave him the highest grade of 94 in this QB class. Guess who else he gave a 94 in 2012? Allen with his 56% completion , poor footwork etc against inferior competition who in 3 games vs formidable opponents couldn't even throw for 100 years? And a 49% completion rate in JUCO? Give me a breaK! Even if you incorrectly think that with Tannehill we are in the frying pan, there's no reason to jump directly into the fire!

Incidentally none of the above has yet addressed that Fitzpatrick is a far superior player at his position than any of the first round QBs come close to being at theirs!

Why is everyone on here slobbing Tannes knob all of a sudden? Its disgusting. Did mods just ban all the logical tanne detractors? Does all it take is 1 year off of football to have ur fanbase forget how mediocre you are? Ya'll are wack, and the ppl who are blinded with excitement over a safety pick (lol) rather than try to get a WINNING qb, notice the word WINNING, the thing Tanne sucks at, are just delusional. The loyalists to this club or the new blood that buys into this bs we're sold each and everyyear are the cornerstone village idiots that this franchise loves stringing along. Need more tanne hate in my FH. Its not unwarranted

#17 can't both throw and catch them, nor can he block for himself. We haven't had DECENT play at G in a decade. TE?? We just now built up the receiver corps and even that is debatable. This team has been victimized by bad management for years. That reflects is the overall talent level. While IMHO the talent is improving, as long as there is a weakness teams will exploit it. You can hardly judge a QB without looking at the supporting cast. Besides, all of the QB gods were gone by #11.

You're entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to refute it as vacuum-visioned.

I think the problem is that so many were against his drafting and then dug themselves into anti-Tannehill positions over the next few years that they/you would rather think of 2016 as a "Pam Ewing Dream" rather than the reality that after so many systems, being saddled with nepotistic unqualified QB coaches and the worst OL's in the league, once Gase's system finally kicked in, over his last 8 game stretch, RT17 was putting up many top 8-10 league metrics. And then of course, there was "scoreboard."

Gotta admit that I sincerely believe that the TanneRainmen breathed a sigh of relief once Calais Campbell's dirty shot eliminated what would have been a definitive reason to put this BS to bed once and for all. And the irony is that in the AZ game, Tannehill was balling.

What we supporters saw was a QB finally coming of age under the right tutelage. We saw a QB who had the 4th best QBR from a rare clean pocket and the 2nd or 3rd best long ball completion record over the entire year. Given that all this was accomplished with a low-20s ranked OL, still sub-par but a helluva lot better than the prior worst and 2nd worst the prior 2 years, our vision had perspective vs being "vacuumed."

Also consider that from 2013-15, Tannehill got Bess and Hartline paid and won a total of 4 more games than did Matty Ice with 5-7 years in the pros and receivers and other resorces Tannehill would have killed for. And then there are the 3 7-9 consecutive seasons for Brees. But of course, to your point about how Tannehill may be looked at on other forums, on FH these guys are teflon but on Atlanta and NO forums, not so much during those dry spells. With the exception of Rodgers, and sometimes Brady, opposing team forums don't hold other QBs in high esteem, and even here and on the jest forum, there are man y who contend that Brady is a system QB who'd be a lot less w/o his HC and system.

Bottom Line: After seeing what Tannehill was capable of doing in Gase's system coupled with the incredible pinpointed throws he's managed in the past, many of us have plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the premise that if he stays healthy and his mobility is not compromised, there's plenty of reason for optimism going forward.

Oh and as an aside, I had to laugh at Vince Wonderlic6's mispronunciation of "Harold" last night knowing that he's the cream of the crop of all of 16QBs in 30+ years who scored Jackson's 13 or below. Coupled with being generously described as a white board "project" I would hope he would not be in the alternative QB discussion knowing that rare anomalies occur but not in the first or second rounds.

And Darnold? Todd McShay gave him the highest grade of 94 in this QB class. Guess who else he gave a 94 in 2012? Allen with his 56% completion , poor footwork etc against inferior competition who in 3 games vs formidable opponents couldn't even throw for 100 years? And a 49% completion rate in JUCO? Give me a breaK! Even if you incorrectly think that with Tannehill we are in the frying pan, there's no reason to jump directly into the fire!

Incidentally none of the above has yet addressed that Fitzpatrick is a far superior player at his position than any of the first round QBs come close to being at theirs!

You're obviously a great and knowledgeable fan, and deserve a winner after all these years. It's just not going to come w Tannehill at the helm. I just feel your above post gets lost in the minutiae. Look at the obvious things that matter. He's a 30 year old QB with a losing record in the NFL. He's never played in a playoff game. He was absolutely horrid on the road against Buff and the Jets when it mattered. He's never won a game that mattered. Ever.

Tannehill supporters always say he hasn't done anything bc the teams that have been around him have been bad. That is true. The decision makers for our franchise have been terrible. Those are the same decision makers who chose Tannehill. He's not above the problem, he's part of it.

Year after year it's said that he will finally break out (like Parker, who we should also give up on). Yet it never happens. Still his fans go..."but this year will be different". I do believe after this year the supporters will finally see the light.

Love you guys. I'm a die hard like all of you. Just a difference of opinion on the QB situ.

Here's to a great day 2.
what the heck man? This thread isn't even about Tannehill. lol

Oh and the more & more I read/hear about Minkah Fitzpatrick , the more I think we actually knocked it out of the park. Dude is legit!

what the heck man? This thread isn't even about Tannehill. lol

Oh and the more & more I read/hear about Minkah Fitzpatrick , the more I think we actually knocked it out of the park. Dude is legit!

Um, the thread is entitled why we made the right call. I'm saying we didn't make the right call bc we need a QB. So yeah, Tannehill is relevant to that discussion.

BlueUndertowWell-Known Member
Not to get too personal here, but is this the lowest percentage of likes to posts in the history of this board?

phinman1Seriously now

Used to post a lot back in the day, but stopped mostly because of inane posters such as yourself. Actually had a hell of a lot of likes, but the site changed and all previous likes were erased. Understand?

yeah, he had like TWICE that many!

Last edited:
year after year it's said that he will finally break out (like Parker, who we should also give up on). Yet it never happens.

oh, it's too bad you missed Tannehill's breakout season in 2016- he was something special. welcome back from wherever you were.

The Jets will cut Teddy B and I personally would snap him up. Let him heal properly and if he does he's at least as good, if not better than any of the QBs that went in R1.

oh, it's too bad you missed Tannehill's breakout season in 2016- he was something special. welcome back from wherever you were.

Something special in 2016? 19 td's and 15 turnovers. Yeah, that's super special. You need to be welcomed back to reality.

Something special in 2016? 19 td's and 15 turnovers. Yeah, that's super special. You need to be welcomed back to reality.

once Gase's system kicked in, while his YPG left something to be desired, most every one of Tannehill's other metrics were between league Elite8 and Top10 levels... and that's reality also
Tannehill vs top QBs 2016.jpg

Here are two different sources of people that watch every throw by every qb and neither are biased towards Tannehill, meaning, they’re not Miami fans:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article144385454.html

https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/the-2016-17-deep-ball-project-part-33/

I don’t just make up statistics and I don’t watch every throw by every qb like I’m sure all the Tanne-haters do lol. Jonathan Kinsley, author of the deep ball project put this up on Twitter with about 30 gifs of his plays from 2016. He made some incredible throws and incredible plays.

The interceptions that are talked about, Tannehill had the highest percentage of ints that weren’t his fault in the league. He was in the wrong on 6. It goes into great detail on how the team around him and previous coaches have failed him.

Yeah, a 6 foot safety is going to turn this team around. What a joke.

Our staff IMO was like a deer in the headlights, afraid to make a move unlike our rivals. So we take a safe pick no one will criticize, and continue to go w a 30 yr old qb coming off surgery who has never been to the playoffs and has a losing record as a starter. Our leadership is a joke, and that will become more apparent as we are sure to suck again in the coming year. God I wish Ross would sell the team.

so basically wah wah wah I know nothing about football or the quarterback position because wins and loses are a qb stat? back up your nonsense with some video evidence or go away.

Back
Top Bottom