Why would anyone choose Flynn over Manning | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone choose Flynn over Manning

Manning's never going to be fully healthy again. I guess there's a chance that he could make a miraculous recovery and not only regain full strength in his chest and arms, but also be able to play a full season without suffering excruciating pain or severe fatigue. But it's not likely and I think this is a definite case of buyer beware. This sort of injury is not comparable to the Drew Brees injury. Peyton's going to be living with pain and limitations for the rest of his life, regardless of whether or not he ever plays another down in the NFL.

This is completely incorrect. 75% of NFL players who have had this surgery come back 100% healthy, most notably Brad Johnson. Peyton Mannings doctor said his neck is at no more risk than his brother Eli's neck. It is no longer a health issue anymore, it is now a performance issue. The c7 nerve that runs from the neck to the tricep is the last hurdle in Mannings recovery. As of right now he is throwing the football and throwing it pretty hard from what jeff saturday and reggie wayne say, but he keeps getting pain in his tricep and that is because the nerve has not regenerated yet. Now where your right is the fact that the nerve may never regenerate, it could happen tomorrow morning, next week, next month, or never happen at all, there is no tool, no x-ray, no doctor, no medicine to predict when the nerve will regenerate. Historically it takes about a year from the time of the surgery for the nerve to regenerate and that would put Manning at 100% health in May, and that is what Manning, his agent, and doctors are banking on. But to say it will be "miraculous" for him to recover is a stretch because people recover from this injury all the time. Once the nerve regenerates and thats if it does, then Manning will not be a risk. I will take a 100% Manning for 3 years in a heartbeat!

A fully healthy and functional Peyton Manning was 2 years ago, he'll never be there again. Cavit emptor. The question is can we get 2 servicable years out of him. Bellecheat will be licking his chops playing him, and his reduced velocity.

I pinched the Ulna nerve in my right arm 8 months ago and I still haven't gotten all the feeling in my pinky back yet. I have a hard time believing Peyton will be able to preform at the level he was at before the surgery. We're going to waste time trying to sign him and a perfectly healthy Matt Flynn, who's only 26, will sign somewhere else and meanwhile Peyton isn't going to cost peanuts. Signing him will create the need to cut about 3 or more players and our free agency shopping will be done. He's going to get $15 million minimum IMO and we only have $11 million in cap space. Then I'm sure everyone will complain why we didn't sign this free agent or that free agent.

To me the move doesn't make sense, not for a 3 year stop gap and then right back to looking for a QB. But I'm in the minority on this.

Matt Flynn is a late round draft pick (7th round) who played 2 good games in a great system on a great overall team. How often does that work out? Throwing money at him because of that and expecting a super bowl is very dangerous.

We're not doctors and we're not Peyton...let's not judge his injury. How can we be picky when we haven't had a QB of his level since 1999? Take the risk, there's a high reward if he stays healthy. Imagine the Dolphins 15th-ish defense with a healthy peyton manning against Brady and that 31st ranked defense. The only way to topple the Patriots is a high powered offense that can out-duel theirs and have a defense who can stop them a couple times.

Brady has 8 wins against Manning, two in the playoffs. Peyton has 5 wins against Brady, one in the playoffs. Manning does not mean we automatically beat the Pats. He is actual average to the QBs we've had since Marino.

Flynn is young, Peyton is old, he has 2-3 years left in him, IF hes healthy, one big hit and he could be done.
We need a QB of the future. Plus Peyton cost way to much.

Agreed. Petyon will want in the 15 mil range. Thus ending FA for us. To many other holes. Even Mannings is going to have enough trouble as it is throwing, imagine him running for his life or on his back every other play.

Flynn Pro:

Is young and has shown potential to be a franchise QB.

Could be your QB for the next 10 years.​

Flynn Con:

It was all a fluke and he's just another average QB.​

Manning Pro:

He's Peyton F'ing Manning​

Manning Con:

How healthy is he and will he be ready to play at the same or close to the same level as before.

Probably has less than 5 years of elite play in him if healthy.​

Both are a gamble.

Agree they're both a gamble but IMO Flynn, because of the money we will pay him, is the bigger one. Whether we like it or not history shows us that many backup QB's teams have backed up the Brinks truck for have turned out to pretty much be Matt Moore who we already have on our roster is is scheduled to make $3,000,000 next year. Here's my take:

Unless working with Flynn Philbin truly believes he's a franchise QB and not just a QB who is familiar with his system, go get Peyton Manning. Setup his contract in a way that he does't rake us over the coals if he can't play. Best case scenario he plays and we have a future HOF QB worst case scenario we go into 2012 with Matt Moore who makes peanuts and was 6-3 over his last 9 games as a starter. Then we go for a QB yet again next offseason.

If we back up the brinks trck for Matt Flynn and he ends up being a slight upgrade or just about the same as Moore , which whether we want to believe it or not would likely be the case, it would set us back much further. If Philbin believes in him, I'd be all for it. I think we will know what Philbin thinks of him really quickly and why do I think the posters here will think Philbin is an idiot, even though he's seen a lot of Flynn, if he passes on him?

I'm done with this board. I live in Philly area they are talking on radio here about getting Manning and trading Vick. I hate Eagle fans but at least they are smart enough to realize a superbowl is hard to win or even get to. I repeat if Peyton Manning is cleared to play and is healthy he would make dolphins an instant contender to win a superbowl. You go get your Flynn because you are all excellent scouts off of two stinkin games.

Well I hope you come back in week five when our terrible o-line lands Peyton on IR and he promptly retires lol kidding... I think...

But yes, I agree. If HEALTHY, Manning is better than Flynn. And everyone has their opinion of how Manning will recover. As for myself, given the three surgeries, his age, going to a new team in a new system, as well as the year off, and I think you would be mistaken if you expected him to be the Peyton Manning you last saw.

Well, a healthy Manning, yes, he's great. But, with his age, he only has maybe 2-3 years left. So what? We sign him and win a few more games, and then we are back in mediocrity? And the key word there is HEALTHY. We don't even know if he can still play like he used to, and we probably won't know that until after Free agency, maybe not until after the draft. So we pass on Flynn, and draft no QB, and then find out that Manning can't play anymore. So now we have nobody.

Brady has 8 wins against Manning, two in the playoffs. Peyton has 5 wins against Brady, one in the playoffs. Manning does not mean we automatically beat the Pats. He is actual average to the QBs we've had since Marino.

Nobody is saying we are a guarantee to beat the Pats. And what does his record in the past against the Pats have anything to with what he might do with the Dolphins? The Colts are terrible and have always been a team that has won and lost on Mannings arm. The Dolphins have quite a bit more talent on this team than what the colts have had over the past decade. As for saying Manning is just an average qb compared to what we've had since Marino left, I thought the first part of your post was clueless. You just confirmed my suspicions with that last part.

Well, a healthy Manning, yes, he's great. But, with his age, he only has maybe 2-3 years left. So what? We sign him and win a few more games, and then we are back in mediocrity? And the key word there is HEALTHY. We don't even know if he can still play like he used to, and we probably won't know that until after Free agency, maybe not until after the draft. So we pass on Flynn, and draft no QB, and then find out that Manning can't play anymore. So now we have nobody.

There have been many players that have come back from this injury. I do not doubt that Manning will make a full recovery. He is the hardest worker in the NFL. Manning is not your average stop gap. He is one of the greatest to ever play the game. There is risk in both signing him or Flynn. The difference is Manning has had tremendous success in the NFL for well over a decade. Flynn has not and is just as much of a wild card because even with him you don't know what you are getting. For all you know he could be signing Kevin Kolb 2.0. At least if you take the risk with Manning and he is healthy the dolphins would be legitimate contenders while he is playing.

So what if we don't take a qb early? We could draft key players to fill in holes other than qb to give Manning all the help he would need while he is here. The dolphins would then have the luxury of spending a mid to late round pick on a qb who is raw but has potential. Let him sit behind the best possible option with Peyton Manning. Plus those key pieces that the fins would draft instead of a qb early would be in place for the "future" qb. Matt Moore has at least shown that he can be a solid starter. It's not like we wouldn't have someone on the roster that isn't capable.

Nobody is saying we are a guarantee to beat the Pats. And what does his record in the past against the Pats have anything to with what he might do with the Dolphins? The Colts are terrible and have always been a team that has won and lost on Mannings arm. The Dolphins have quite a bit more talent on this team than what the colts have had over the past decade. As for saying Manning is just an average qb compared to what we've had since Marino left, I thought the first part of your post was clueless. You just confirmed my suspicions with that last part.

You might want to try to understand posts before critizing. I was commenting on a post where they support Manning based on "imagine what he would do against Brady'. Hence my stats of Manning vs Brady straight up. Oh yes, please tell me more about how the fins have more talent than the colts. LOL, how many SBs do we have compared to them. That is not all Manning, if you are one of those than clueless is looking in your mirror. And what the last part of my post said, as his stats against the pats prove, he is average against the team we need to beat. Like the other Qbs we had in the past 10 years againts the pats.

You might want to try to understand posts before critizing. I was commenting on a post where they support Manning based on "imagine what he would do against Brady'. Hence my stats of Manning vs Brady straight up. Oh yes, please tell me more about how the fins have more talent than the colts. LOL, how many SBs do we have compared to them. That is not all Manning, if you are one of those than clueless is looking in your mirror. And what the last part of my post said, as his stats against the pats prove, he is average against the team we need to beat. Like the other Qbs we had in the past 10 years againts the pats.

Obviously you didn't watch the colts this year. Which by and large hasn't changed much in terms of core players they have had over the years. They proved what a lot of critics have been saying for years. Peyton Manning is the Colts. Even their defenders (Mathis and Freeney) had poor years. Part of what made them successful is that they were free to always get after the qb. Mannning enabled them to do that because he was always a threat to score and put opposing teams in passing situations. It's a lot easier to stop something when you know what is coming. And how many of those receivers had over 1,000 yards receiving this year? How many of them caught more than 5 tds? How many times were the colts qb's sacked this year? Manning made everyone on that team better. Trent Dilfer said it best the other day, that nobody has masked his own teams inefficiencies better than what Manning has.

Obviously you didn't watch the colts this year. Which by and large hasn't changed much in terms of core players they have had over the years. They proved what a lot of critics have been saying for years. Peyton Manning is the Colts. Even their defenders (Mathis and Freeney) had poor years. Part of what made them successful is that they were free to always get after the qb. Mannning enabled them to do that because he was always a threat to score and put opposing teams in passing situations. It's a lot easier to stop something when you know what is coming. And how many of those receivers had over 1,000 yards receiving this year? How many of them caught more than 5 tds? How many times were the colts qb's sacked this year? Manning made everyone on that team better. Trent Dilfer said it best the other day, that nobody has masked his own teams inefficiencies better than what Manning has.

Last years colts team is nothing like that when they terrorized the AFC. Seriously we have more talent than he did when they went to the SB?? Harrison, Wayne, James, Vanderjagt then Vinatieri, Clark, Addai, Freeney, Mathis, Cato....Come on seriously no talent????

Back
Top Bottom