Why would anyone choose Flynn over Manning | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone choose Flynn over Manning

There have been many players that have come back from this injury. I do not doubt that Manning will make a full recovery. He is the hardest worker in the NFL. Manning is not your average stop gap. He is one of the greatest to ever play the game. There is risk in both signing him or Flynn. The difference is Manning has had tremendous success in the NFL for well over a decade. Flynn has not and is just as much of a wild card because even with him you don't know what you are getting. For all you know he could be signing Kevin Kolb 2.0. At least if you take the risk with Manning and he is healthy the dolphins would be legitimate contenders while he is playing.

So what if we don't take a qb early? We could draft key players to fill in holes other than qb to give Manning all the help he would need while he is here. The dolphins would then have the luxury of spending a mid to late round pick on a qb who is raw but has potential. Let him sit behind the best possible option with Peyton Manning. Plus those key pieces that the fins would draft instead of a qb early would be in place for the "future" qb. Matt Moore has at least shown that he can be a solid starter. It's not like we wouldn't have someone on the roster that isn't capable.

ok. Well, reading your posts, it's obvious you're on Manning's ****, and like the other poster said, you don't take the time to understand what we are actually saying. Sure, other PLAYERS have come back from the surgery, but how many of them were QB's? If the nerves are damaged, he may never be able to grip the ball the same way, and he may not have the same arm he once had.
And I never said he was an "average stop-gap", but again you're missing my point. He may not be an average stop-gap, but he is still a stop-gap. Like I said, we sign Manning and he playes for a couple years. Then he retires, and we are back in the same boat we are in now

A healthy Manning i'm all for.....but odds are he's not healthy, and can't play.

So at that point i'd go with Flynn because he's going to be at least " good " and to be real i think that's all he'll ever be but having a top 15 QB is a must have in the NFL.

Last two times we had "good" QB play we made the playoffs......so to me you go after Flynn and if you can't land him you go and get RG3.

Last years colts team is nothing like that when they terrorized the AFC. Seriously we have more talent than he did when they went to the SB?? Harrison, Wayne, James, Vanderjagt then Vinatieri, Clark, Addai, Freeney, Mathis, Cato....Come on seriously no talent????

They may not have "Terrorized" the AFC last year but they were still a legitimate contender. As for all of this "talent" that you mention, where are they without Manning? It's a well accepted opinion that Manning makes the players around him better. Who was Wes Welker before he had Tom Brady throwing to him? I didn't see you mention any of the awesome oline talent that Manning has had. Jeff Saturday is the onliy one worth mentioning. We may not have the best offensive line in the NFL but it certainly isn't as one dimensional as the colts oline.

ok. Well, reading your posts, it's obvious you're on Manning's ****, and like the other poster said, you don't take the time to understand what we are actually saying. Sure, other PLAYERS have come back from the surgery, but how many of them were QB's? If the nerves are damaged, he may never be able to grip the ball the same way, and he may not have the same arm he once had.
And I never said he was an "average stop-gap", but again you're missing my point. He may not be an average stop-gap, but he is still a stop-gap. Like I said, we sign Manning and he playes for a couple years. Then he retires, and we are back in the same boat we are in now

I never said that you said he was a stop gap. I said that he is "not the average stop gap." Yes I admitted that he is one. But that is one hell of a stop gap "IF" healthy. I have taken time to read and understand yours and others posts. You clearly would rather take the risk on Matt Flynn. I would rather take the risk with Peyton Manning. Like some others have said, Mannning is most likely to take an incentive contract. If he makes in the 15 mill range the odds are he will have been well worth it.

The way I am looking at it is from a failure point of view. We are more likely to rebound more quickly if Manning fails as opposed to Matt Flynn. In all odds Flynn would demand Kevin Kolb type of money thus hurting us salary cap wise any year we would try to cut him (again assuming he fails). If Manning fails, it would hurt a lot less. We could cut him after one year and the cap hit wouldn't hurt as much because his contract probably wouldn't have as much guaranteed money as Matt Flynns.

You asked how many of those players were qb's? You are right there have not been that many qb's that have had this type of injury/surgery. But the success rate is there for players who have had this surgery to come back and play at a high level. Nobody knows when the nerve will regenerate but most believe that it will. It takes time. My money is on it regenerating, and even if he doesn't have quite the arm strength that he had, odds are he will still have more than say a Chad Pennington. By all indications from colts players he is slowing regaining his arm strength. The season doesn't start for another 7 months. And he is rehabbing hard to get where he was. If you have read in my other posts you would also notice that I am for drafted a developmental if we were to get Manning. Manning would be one hell of a qb to learn from. So us being in the same situation that we are in right now may not be the case.

They may not have "Terrorized" the AFC last year but they were still a legitimate contender. As for all of this "talent" that you mention, where are they without Manning? It's a well accepted opinion that Manning makes the players around him better. Who was Wes Welker before he had Tom Brady throwing to him? I didn't see you mention any of the awesome oline talent that Manning has had. Jeff Saturday is the onliy one worth mentioning. We may not have the best offensive line in the NFL but it certainly isn't as one dimensional as the colts oline.

90% of those on that I mentioned from the hayday years are not there anymore. And for Manning's non talented oline at the time. Glenn LT and Saturday C are both probowlers. Jake Scott at G is definitely no slouch. Please stop saying he had no Oline or talent. The facts show he was surrounded with talent.

90% of those on that I mentioned from the hayday years are not there anymore. And for Manning's non talented oline at the time. Glenn LT and Saturday C are both probowlers. Jake Scott at G is definitely no slouch. Please stop saying he had no Oline or talent. The facts show he was surrounded with talent.

And why the hell shouldn't last year or two years ago be up there with their "hayday" years. They were still a team lead by Manning, a team that was still in the playoffs, and team that still put up a lot of points. Are you only counting the year that they won the super bowl? If you are then you are cherry picking. Again, where were they this year? Question, 2 years ago they almost went undefeated, what key players from two years ago were missing this year? Their entire core was there except for Manning.

And why the hell shouldn't last year or two years ago be up there with their "hayday" years. They were still a team lead by Manning, a team that was still in the playoffs, and team that still put up a lot of points. Are you only counting the year that they won the super bowl? If you are then you are cherry picking. Again, where were they this year? Question, 2 years ago they almost went undefeated, what key players from two years ago were missing this year? Their entire core was there except for Manning.

After Manning was gone it doesn't take a genius to see that they colts were NOT playing to win. If all they needed was a decent QB why didn't they go get one?

I see in alot of polls people would choose Flynn over a healthy Manning. That is crazy Peyton would make us an instant superbowl contender. Flynn may have an upside or he may be Kevin Kolb. You choose!!!

kolb, flynn and matt moore are about same not manning even if he is 60%...how could people want matt flynn over matt moore any way.

After Manning was gone it doesn't take a genius to see that they colts were NOT playing to win. If all they needed was a decent QB why didn't they go get one?

Now I see the light, they were just playing to lose. Give me a break. They need more than just a solid qb to cure they're ailments and that is what I have been saying. If you had any reading comprehension, you would know that I am saying that the colts for so many years have lived and died by Manning's arm. Please tell me, what "decent" qb was available when Manning had his last surgery on the 8th of September? It's not like they didn't go out there and try to find the best available veteran when they found out Manning wouldn't be playing this year.

kolb, flynn and matt moore are about same not manning even if he is 60%...how could people want matt flynn over matt moore any way.

What evidence do you have to support that Flynn is the same as Kolb and Moore?? Moore isn't going to take us to the SB, he just isn't. He is very inconsistent. He made several critical mistakes every game last year.

My thought exactly. Matt Flynn may not even be any better than what he have on the roster right now. And you'd have to pay him Kevin Kolb type of numbers. Matt Moore was very solid this last year. But most would agree that we are a franchise qb away from making some serious noise. And we have been this way for the past several years. In all odds flynn will probably be solid to pretty good. Matt Moore was certainly "solid" with a 87.1 qb rating this year. Flynn at best will probably be around 90 to 92 qb rating type of guy. Again solid to very good, but will it be enough to carry us over the hump? Who is to say Moore couldn't do that with a full offseason workouts with the first team offense?

What evidence do you have to support that Flynn is the same as Kolb and Moore?? Moore isn't going to take us to the SB, he just isn't. He is very inconsistent. He made several critical mistakes every game last year.

And what evidence do you have that Matt Flynn will be a franchise qb? There is none because he doesn't have much of a track record. He did play for a team that probably has the best depth at WR and a team that overall won the super bowl last year and went 15-1 this year. It's not like he doesn't have talent around him.

Now I see the light, they were just playing to lose. Give me a break. They need more than just a solid qb to cure they're ailments and that is what I have been saying. If you had any reading comprehension, you would know that I am saying that the colts for so many years have lived and died by Manning's arm. Please tell me, what "decent" qb was available when Manning had his last surgery on the 8th of September? It's not like they didn't go out there and try to find the best available veteran when they found out Manning wouldn't be playing this year.

You are hilarious. Yeah, lets put Manning behind a line that has Incrapito and Cloumbo on it instead of Glenn and Saturday. Fasano at TE instead of Clark. Hartline instead of Wayne. Bush instead of Addai or James and on and on. Manning doesn't take that team to the SB... Please show me you know something, anything about football. Manning lead the team yes, but the whole team plays. And his earlier teams were stacked with talent. Get off the media hype of "the colts were a one man team". That projects ignorance about the game.

And what evidence do you have that Matt Flynn will be a franchise qb? There is none because he doesn't have much of a track record. He did play for a team that probably has the best depth at WR and a team that overall won the super bowl last year and went 15-1 this year. It's not like he doesn't have talent around him.

First, I never said Flynn is a franchise QB. Don't speak for me that's ignorant. My argument is that Moore isn't going to do it for us. He makes many critical mistakes. So, like many others I feel we need to make a move at QB. What are our options. Manning, 36, 3 neck surguries, health a MAJOR ?. Draft, we are at 9, the top tier guys will be gone by then. FA, Flynn came from the SEC, won a championship, like Rogers has been a back up in the NFl for 4 years on a SB team learning the game on a NFL level. To me he is the obvious choice. Is there risk. Absolutely. Any QB move will involve risk. But Flynn to me is the best route. I am not saying he is a franchise QB. But I d think he can become one.

Greetings People,

I'm a long time reader of FH and this is obviously my first post......I'm honestly amazed at those of you that are eating the cheese on Matt Flynn. Best case scenario is that he is Matt Schaub or Matt Hasselback.......either one of them win a Super Bowl? More likely scenario is he's kevin kolb, aj feeley, scott mitchell......a backup qb!!

On the other hand we are talking about a top 3 all time QB!!! Peyton Manning! To me it's not even close.......

We've had backup qb's starting for us for the last ten years. I've done my best to try and get behind them (Fiedler, AJ Feeley, Trent Green, John Beck, Chad Henne, Matt Moore), but its always been hard, its always sucked, and not lead to anywhere......3 years of elite talent is better than 10 years of mediocre talent anyday.......

Peyton Manning, RG3 or bust.......say no to the backup qb's. Look where its gotten us! A bold move is the only move for us at QB this year!!

My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom