Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

Pitts has the largest wingspan of any receiver in the last 20 years...and he’s only 20 years old...this kid is going to develop even more!
How is that a big deal?..83.375" he's 6'6 ....Dovanta at the Senior Bowl..his wing span is 78.5....that's a tad over 2" each side.
Chase's was 75"

How is that a big deal?..83.375" he's 6'6 ....Dovanta at the Senior Bowl..his wing span is 78.5....that's a tad over 2" each side.
Chase's was 75"

Let me know when you see Chase make this catch

If Dovanta was built like Chase...I don't think he would be as good....i feel like that skinny Plastic man build with those long arms is a major plus.
He is a technician running routs and he plays very fast....those arms helps a lot in beating press coverage.
and he is a decent blocker...he'll get in the way..

Chase's was 75"

Pitts' wingspan isn't just amazing, it's historic​

First, a little perspective. While 83 3/8 sounds monstrous on its own, Pro Football Focus reported that it’s longer than any tight end or wide receiver in the NFL in the past 20 years. Hall of Famer Calvin Johnson measured 82 inches. If that made him Megatron, what is Pitts?

Add that on to the height advantage over someone like smith.

Last edited:

Pitts' wingspan isn't just amazing, it's historic​

First, a little perspective. While 83 3/8 sounds monstrous on its own, Pro Football Focus reported that it’s longer than any tight end or wide receiver in the NFL in the past 20 years. Hall of Famer Calvin Johnson measured 82 inches. If that made him Megatron, what is Pitts?
I'm just saying the more athletic receiver's (Devonta)wing span is just a tad shorter while being 5 inches shorter....the catch radius is pretty much the same.

The other thing that Smith doesn't get enough credit for - he makes people miss. He makes them miss tackles, he makes them miss press, he makes them miss angles. He is really fast, but he is even more quick than he is fast. And his Slim Reaper build plays into all that. You don't see him get tagged by a big hit often.

I don't get why people can't just like two players.....it always seems to be they love one player and totally hate on the other just to make their case sound better. I like Smith and Chase and Pitts. I don't see what's wrong with that.

The other thing that Smith doesn't get enough credit for - he makes people miss. He makes them miss tackles, he makes them miss press, he makes them miss angles. He is really fast, but he is even more quick than he is fast. And his Slim Reaper build plays into all that. You don't see him get tagged by a big hit often.
That's what i meant by my plastic man remark....You ever had to fight a rangy,strong knuckle dragger ?

A big part of why I think Pitts and Smith are so good and will be at the next level is their amazing wingspans.

Hey..guess what? I'm not a homer..and Pitts is gonna be the highest TE drafted in the modern era...and you can hate all you want..but Dolphin or not..you're gonna be wishing he was on your team..fantasy and reality.

Have a good day.

Calvin is a great player, btw. Good for him. Wish he played longer. And had a better team. 0-16 hurts.
According to many posters here using their logic, Calvin Johnson sucked because he didnt lead his team to a superbowl.

According to many posters here using their logic, Calvin Johnson sucked because he didnt lead his team to a superbowl.
Only players in NFL fully/truly judged by super bowl wins are QB's..others it helps but not the end-all..he did what he could..Detroit was a mess..maybe still is..idk.

Hey..even still..Dan Marino never won the big one and still is an all time great QB..greatest without a SUPER BOWL victory..so yeah..

Everyone says Pitts can play WR. In fact he was split wide and played WR a lot.
Cool....so can Smith play tight end? Nope.
Stop comparing apples and oranges. Pitts could be one of the top tight ends in the league from day 1. Smith will not be one of the top wide receivers from day one.

Cool....so can Smith play tight end? Nope.
Stop comparing apples and oranges. Pitts could be one of the top tight ends in the league from day 1. Smith will not be one of the top wide receivers from day one.
Thank you for this. How many games will the Dolphins win this year and who is winning the Super Bowl. Lotto numbers too while we're at it.

Back
Top Bottom