Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

Calvin Johnson was not polished at all coming out of Georgia Tech LOL.
And....wrong. I think you need to go back and read his draft profiles. To a man, said to be the best receiver coming out of college maybe ever. Polished route runner. Hit all the marks coming out. Made all the catches: deep balls, short balls, over the middle, and was a killer blocker. I'm not quite sure where you got your information but you're dead wrong. Maybe Fitz was more polished and that's because he was such a skilled route runner. He was widely considered the best player in the draft.

And....wrong. I think you need to go back and read his draft profiles. To a man, said to be the best receiver coming out of college maybe ever. Polished route runner. Hit all the marks coming out. Made all the catches: deep balls, short balls, over the middle, and was a killer blocker. I'm not quite sure where you got your information but you're dead wrong. Maybe Fitz was more polished and that's because he was such a skilled route runner. He was widely considered the best player in the draft.
He had all the tools..Georgia Tech was a running team but he still was super dominant when they did pass. That's what I remember, at least.

Larry Fitz was perhaps the greatest college WR ever up to that point, save maybe Randy Moss and Jerry Rice..he was sick!

He had all the tools..Georgia Tech was a running team but he still was super dominant when they did pass. That's what I remember, at least.

Larry Fitz was perhaps the greatest college WR ever up to that point, save maybe Randy Moss and Jerry Rice..he was sick!
Wow was Moss fun to watch in college. A show every time he touched the ball. It was like Barry Sanders at receiver.

He was considered the best because of how gifted he was and not to do with his ability to play the WR as fluid as Fitz or even Smith this year.

I watched him play up close and he was never a polished player at GT because they ran the triple option and he ran the 9 route probably close to 99% of the time lol. He was a freak or nature who had some growing pain years in the NFL before he became Megatron.

He was considered the best because of how gifted he was and not to do with his ability to play the WR as fluid as Fitz or even Smith this year.

I watched him play up close and he was never a polished player at GT because they ran the triple option and he ran the 9 route probably close to 99% of the time lol. He was a freak or nature who had some growing pain years in the NFL before he became Megatron.
And...wrong again. You clearly didn't watch too closely because Georgia Tech didn't implement the triple option until 2008 when Paul Johnson got there. If you're going to make statements, at least go look at highlights to make sure you're right. Chan Gailey was his head coach. If you've ever seen him run the triple option, let me know. I invite you to go watch any amount of highlights that are up on YouTube and you can see for yourself since you clearly missed what offense they were running the first time around.

And...wrong again. You clearly didn't watch too closely because Georgia Tech didn't implement the triple option until 2008 when Paul Johnson got there. If you're going to make statements, at least go look at highlights to make sure you're right. Chan Gailey was his head coach. If you've ever seen him run the triple option, let me know. I invite you to go watch any amount of highlights that are up on YouTube and you can see for yourself since you clearly missed what offense they were running the first time around.

You're right. I was young then I my memory was mixed up. My apologies.

Question.
At worst case . What is smith’s floor? Are we talking bust ? I know people are concerned with his size. Ceiling would be Marvin Harrison?

Question.
At worst case . What is smith’s floor? Are we talking bust ? I know people are concerned with his size. Ceiling would be Marvin Harrison?
I doubt he would be a "bust". Probably a productive wide out, who could excell as a slot.

I believe, as is true with many players, his career trajectory may be dependent on the QB/team he ends up with.

Smith is the third best WR in this class:

1. Ja'marr Chase
2. Jaylen Waddle
3. DaVonta Smith

:shrug:
I guess that's your opinion, but to me he may be the best. His route running and catching ability sets him apart. He is being underrated as an athlete due to size but he looks like he can handle his defenders well. I'd like Dolphins to take him with first pick, but if they chose another receiver I won't throw a tantrum about it.

I guess that's your opinion, but to me he may be the best. His route running and catching ability sets him apart. He is being underrated as an athlete due to size but he looks like he can handle his defenders well. I'd like Dolphins to take him with first pick, but if they chose another receiver I won't throw a tantrum about it.
It's many peoples opinion.

Chase and Waddle are special athletes.

Smith is not.

I'm talking athletic ability.

I'll bet on that any day.

Also bigger, less DENSE WR's.

It's many peoples opinion.

Chase and Waddle are special athletes.

Smith is not.

I'm talking athletic ability.

I'll bet on that any day.

Also bigger, less DENSE WR's.
Remember something though Gator. You don't need to be a phenomenal athlete to be a great receiver. However, he's definitely good enough and he's got an incredible set of hands. It begs the question, do you draft potential or outright production. Waddle screams of that ruggs like player to me. A burner but I think Smith will be productive for a long time.

There we 4 receivers chosen over Justin jefferson, who was the most productive in 2019-20 and that played out. Ruggs is the home run guy but Jefferson will be steady. Smith is that guy.

Remember something though Gator. You don't need to be a phenomenal athlete to be a great receiver. However, he's definitely good enough and he's got an incredible set of hands. It begs the question, do you draft potential or outright production. Waddle screams of that ruggs like player to me. A burner but I think Smith will be productive for a long time.

There we 4 receivers chosen over Justin jefferson, who was the most productive in 2019-20 and that played out. Ruggs is the home run guy but Jefferson will be steady. Smith is that guy.
Oh so you think Jaylen Waddle is all speed and no substance like Ruggs?

Disagree, 100%.

Oh btw: Jefferson was the 5th WR taken..maybe Smith should be 5th? :shrug:

By your logic, OP, Alexander Van Pelt had a better NFL career than Dan Marino and Ron Dayne is a Hall of Famer.

Back
Top Bottom