Will Waddle’s Next Contract Be w/Miami? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Waddle’s Next Contract Be w/Miami?

Waddle Gets New Contract in Miami?

• Yes

Votes: 140 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 35 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Waddle’s next contract will start in 2026.

Tyreek will be 32 years old in 2026 with no guaranteed money left and a $56M cap hit on last year of his deal. If he’s cut, it’s $45M cap savings with $11M in dead money.

That’s not a coincidence imo.

This is a VERY serious question.

Judey who isn’t 50% of the receiver Waddle is went out and got what? 19M per season.

I forgot what Ridely got…

Folks it’s going to take north of $21M per season to keep Waddle.
Also factor in how long Reek will be here. Waddle’s first season under new contract cap hit can be somewhat softened with a signing bonus. Team is supposed to have north of $60 million in cap space next year. This will be impacted by:

1. Tua’s new deal (assuming it gets done which I assume it will)
2. New contracts for Waddle, and potentially Phillips, & Holland.

Not sure What Armstead’s cap hit will be next year after his restructure, but he’ll come off the cap, and Reek may play in 25 season just because of his restructure. It’s possible to get it all done, but Waddle will definitely be expensive assuming he doesn’t sustain a major injury and has a decent year. Of course, It’s very likely they could also draft a really exciting player this year too at the WR position, so it’s all very interesting.

Exactly....has nothing to do with him or production. It's simply money and cap, if we can't be giving this money to FA then we can't be giving it to ours too.

Waddle drops too many and gets dinged too much to be given that amount of cash. Nothing against Waddle and it doesn't mean I do not like him or that I want him to leave.
I don't agree with you.

Waddle? is the man!, y'all need to stop making up Fake News about him, with him you get speed and effort and he doesn't take plays off, pay him now!

Landrys first 4 years in Miami he averaged 1009.5 yards with 5.5 TDs. Waddle has averaged
1,128.3 yards and 6 TDs in his first 3 years with a better QB and an extra game. Numbers aren’t that far off
Jarvis Landry was a mediocre, unexplosive, slow receiver who caught a lot of volume passes, but didn’t have very many impact plays. He was the featured Receiver on some of the most boring unwatchable offenses I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. They are not the same player. Landry averaged 10.5 yards per catch with the Dolphins. Waddle averages 14 yards per catch, and will likely average more as his career continues considering the first year what the offense was. He actually averaged 18 YPC in 2022 which is beyond elite.

Jarvis Landry didn’t scare anyone when he lined up in the slot. He was famous for taking a 3 yard pass and picking up another 3 YACC for a total of six yards on a 3rd an 8. And then he’d jump up and high step and yell and scream as if he’d actually made a play. Watching every snap of his when he was with us I remember a high volume of targets and a low volume of actual impact plays. He has limitations, but definitely was an effort player. He would not command big money with that skillset.

Waddle? He still has some upside. Tyreek Hill takes a lot of his TDS, and he isnt’ a red zone threat so much as a quick strike deep score threat, whether he gets into the end zone or not, he can flip the field on a single catch, and you bet your ass the defense has to account for him which opens up space for others which we need to do a better job of taking advantage this year.

Landry and Waddle are two completely different animals, and are barely comparable other than they play the same position. Waddle is capable of being a top #1 receiver on a team that doesn’t have Tyreek Hill, Landry was never that.

He is Miami's future #1 Receiver, So he's not going anywhere.

Jarvis Landry was a mediocre, unexplosive, slow receiver who caught a lot of volume passes, but didn’t have very many impact plays. He was the featured Receiver on some of the most boring unwatchable offenses I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. They are not the same player. Landry averaged 10.5 yards per catch with the Dolphins. Waddle averages 14 yards per catch, and will likely average more as his career continues considering the first year what the offense was. He actually averaged 18 YPC in 2022 which is beyond elite.

Jarvis Landry didn’t scare anyone when he lined up in the slot. He was famous for taking a 3 yard pass and picking up another 3 YACC for a total of six yards on a 3rd an 8. And then he’d jump up and high step and yell and scream as if he’d actually made a play. Watching every snap of his when he was with us I remember a high volume of targets and a low volume of actual impact plays. He has limitations, but definitely was an effort player. He would not command big money with that skillset.

Waddle? He still has some upside. Tyreek Hill takes a lot of his TDS, and he isnt’ a red zone threat so much as a quick strike deep score threat, whether he gets into the end zone or not, he can flip the field on a single catch, and you bet your ass the defense has to account for him which opens up space for others which we need to do a better job of taking advantage this year.

Landry and Waddle are two completely different animals, and are barely comparable other than they play the same position. Waddle is capable of being a top #1 receiver on a team that doesn’t have Tyreek Hill, Landry was never that.
My point really wasn’t that they are the same players. I definitely understand that they have different skill sets and there are things that Landry was better at like better hands. Landry also played with a less effective QB and offense.
My question was do we want to give top wr money to a player with similar stats to what Landry had. At the end of the day it’s all about production jmo

Think about this...

Year 1....Breaks rookie record with...
104 rec1,015 yrd9.8 avg

Year 2 he has his best season yards and average wise with...
75 rec1,356 yrds18.1 avg

Year 3 is an off year for him because of injury, and Tua going more to Hill and the record, yet he still has almost as good a reception year the year 2, or as good a yards (but better avg) year as year 1 with...

He has had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons, averaged as few as 4 TD and as many as 8 on a team that also has Tyreek Hill...How much better do you think his numbers would be if Tyreek was not on the team? This tells us he is right now a luxury elite #2 receiver, eventually Hill will be leaving, his money will help to pay the contract Waddle will get as long as him and his agent can be rational with what they want, if they ask for top 3 money, or even top 5 money, then he must be let go, if he tries to just get paid what he deserves, then I ser no problem...He's worth it.

A lot of variables depending upon Hill's health and if one of our younger guys finally takes a step forward.

I think regardless we have to take a WR high round either this year or next. Hill will most likely begin showing signs of aging in the next year or two and is the more likely candidate to leave the team.

I fall somewhere between yes and unsure.

I think Miami clears cap space in 2024 in order to facilitate the signing of several of its own existing pieces: Waddle, Phillips, Holland, etc.

I think Grier has plenty of reasons to want to re-sign Waddle.
> It pads Grier's legacy as a team builder.
> It helps the QB who's likely getting re-signed as we speak.
> It helps the HC who the team needs to find stability with.
> It helps the offense which seems to be the more important side in the NFL.

My only hesitation is with price. You never know what'll happen and at the end of the day, if a player gets to FA, they're likely going to leave. Some other team with more money and a more pressing need will overpay.

My hunch is that Miami activates the 5th year option on Phillips & Waddle and then in turn re-signs both in 2025 or maybe just one while franchising the other the following year (2026).

My point really wasn’t that they are the same players. I definitely understand that they have different skill sets and there are things that Landry was better at like better hands. Landry also played with a less effective QB and offense.
My question was do we want to give top wr money to a player with similar stats to what Landry had. At the end of the day it’s all about production jmo
I hear ya. But here’s another way of looking at it:

If we look at Waddles best year, which was 2022, he had the stats of an elite #1 WR. 18 YPC is sick! 8 tds is outstanding and something like 1356 yards. He was playing through some nagging injuries and wasn’t quite himself last year tougher it out, played through it and he still put up 1000 yards.

Bottom line, if his 2024 season is closer to his 22 season than last season you sign him, don’t even hesitate. Don’t forget, you can always pick up his 5th year option, and kick the can down the road a bit of you want. But, we should have the cap space to sign him next year to a long term deal anyways. Just give him a hefty signing bonus and the cap hit won’t really be fully felt till 26 anyways.

He ranked fairly well in receptions, but he wasn't a threat downfield at all so he ended up with a very pedestrian yards per target... So mediocre overall with numbers in line with a possession WR.
Landry would catch it for 3, pick up another 3 in YAC & be short of the first down marker. He was very mediocre.

I hear ya. But here’s another way of looking at it:

If we look at Waddles best year, which was 2022, he had the stats of an elite #1 WR. 18 YPC is sick! 8 tds is outstanding and something like 1356 yards. He was playing through some nagging injuries and wasn’t quite himself last year tougher it out, played through it and he still put up 1000 yards.

Bottom line, if his 2024 season is closer to his 22 season than last season you sign him, don’t even hesitate. Don’t forget, you can always pick up his 5th year option, and kick the can down the road a bit of you want. But, we should have the cap space to sign him next year to a long term deal anyways. Just give him a hefty signing bonus and the cap hit won’t really be fully felt till 26 anyways.
Agree. By that time Hill will prob be out the door. If Waddle has a year like 2022 and he’s your #1 then it’s a must. BUT what if we draft a stud true #1 this yr or next. The chances are low but in that scenario I’m not sure I want to pay top dollar for my #2 wr. Which is why I voted unsure

Agree. By that time Hill will prob be out the door. If Waddle has a year like 2022 and he’s your #1 then it’s a must. BUT what if we draft a stud true #1 this yr or next. The chances are low but in that scenario I’m not sure I want to pay top dollar for my #2 wr. Which is why I voted unsure
You get a good Return on Investment (ROI) on elite players at the WR position. Unlike Defensive Tackle like Wilkins, that is exactly the kind of player you invest good money in and should generate a good return.

I only say yes because: Grier traded up to get Waddle, and Grier seems to place higher value on QB, CB, WR and DE, the premier positions. Look how many times he paid Howard when he complained instead of trading him, trading for Chubb, trading for Hill, trading for Ramsey, a 5th overall pick on Tua.

Back
Top Bottom