Will Waddle’s Next Contract Be w/Miami? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Waddle’s Next Contract Be w/Miami?

Waddle Gets New Contract in Miami?

• Yes

Votes: 140 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 35 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think he’s shown a pretty varied skill set. As a rookie, he played a bit more in the short zone, barely averaged 10 yards per catch. In 2022, he averaged 18 yards per catch and operated more in the deep middle. Is he a tackle-breaker? No. Is his forte contested catches? No. Is he a no. 1 who gets open and produces what the team needs? Yes.
i just think there is too much variance in the definition of a number one receiver, probably should’nt of posed the question without having a clear definition of one.

Not necessarily in the case of one individual player but overall there is historical, statistical data that shows a definite correlation.

It is often suggested that sometimes higher round picks get more opportunity, which is true to some extent, but the percentages of players who end up being good NFL players by round selection has been posted many times and it drops like a rock in successive rounds.

I have only one thing to say about that and its significance proves my point.

Tom Brady - LOL

Some rock - LOL

I have only one thing to say about that and its significance proves my point.

Tom Brady - LOL

Some rock - LOL
Sooooo..... You're advocating for a strategy of looking for HOF players in late rounds of the draft to build the roster?

Good luck.......

Guess it depends on how good Waddle is this season and whether we believe he can be a true #1 WR.

I know his hands can be suspect sometimes, but with the trade up to get him Grier can’t allow him to hit FA. Comp picks be damned.
Yes. I would use more words but there is no point. Instead of further elaboration, here is a gif of dancing monkies. Enjoy.

monkeys GIF

Under the 2020 CBA, Waddle’s 5th year option will cost $15.591M in 2025. That means we have 2 more years of him under contract at a reasonable price. I love Hill. He is a future HoF player. I don’t know if he will be in Miami 3 years from now, which could potentially be the 1st season Waddle’s extension kicks in. I don’t think we have to worry about paying both players at the same time. Even if we extend him again, I don’t think it will be for monster money as he will be 33 the year Waddle’s contract kicks in.

Sooooo..... You're advocating for a strategy of looking for HOF players in late rounds of the draft to build the roster?

Good luck.......
No.

I'm using the reality of one case of spectacular performance of an extremely low draft pick to ENFORCE the reality that the draft is a crap shoot and that there needs to be vigilance when drafting at every point in the draft.

It seems that many of the highest draft picks often carry a surprising number of washouts, considering those high draft positions. I think it's fair to call those particular washouts "fool's gold".

That seems to be due to a "false" assumption of superiority and weird personal behavior's that many first round draftees, who were star college athletes, bring to the table.

They think they have made their mark and are now "along for the ride" because they have "earned it", as opposed to the cold hard fact that going to the NFL requires a significantly larger step up in training and preparation than going from High School to College does.

Somewhere along the line, many highly drafted players have neglected to realize one glaringly obvious fact. That fact is that the competition they will be playing against in the NFL is significantly better than anything they saw in college.

Soooo.... You're advocating for a strategy of looking for HOF players in the early rounds of the draft to build the roster?

Good luck with that!

I feel every draft pick should be part of an effort to improve our teams' overall performance as opposed to being a "star". How well they perform is, in the end, up to them.

Players with stronger work ethics would be higher on my list, along with those players that finish college as proof of their willingness to follow thru on a commitment, in spite of the temptations to enter the draft early.

Keep in mind that NFL coaches may ask any new player to gain a specific amount of muscle mass and to lose a bit of fat to make them stronger and faster. They might also choose to use them in another position on the field, other than they were they were used to play.

Consider how a Primadona type of drafted player will respond to that? - LOL

Last edited:
No.

I'm using the reality of one case of spectacular performance of an extremely low draft pick to ENFORCE the reality that the draft is a crap shoot and that there needs to be vigilance when drafting at every point in the draft.

It seems that the highest draft picks often carry a surprising number of washouts, considering those high draft positions. I think it's fair to call those particular washouts "fool's gold".

That seems to be due to a "false" assumption of superiority and weird personal behavior's that many first round draftees, who were star college athletes, bring to the table.

They think they have made their mark and are now "along for the ride" because they have "earned it", as opposed to the cold hard fact that going to the NFL requires a significantly larger step up in training and preparation, than going from High School to College does.

Somewhere along the line, many highly drafted players have neglected to realize one glaringly obvious fact. That fact is that the competition they will be playing against in the NFL is significantly better than anything they saw in college.

Soooo.... You're advocating for a strategy of looking for HOP players in the early rounds of the draft to build the roster?

Good luck with that!

I feel every draft pick should be part of an effort to improve our teams' overall performance as opposed to being a "star". How well they perform is, in the end, up to them.

Players with stronger work ethics would be higher on my list, along with those players that finish college as proof of their willingness to follow thru on a commitment, in spite of the temptations to enter the draft early.

Keep in mind that NFL coaches may ask any new player to gain a specific amount of muscle mass and to lose a bit of fat to make them stronger and faster. They might also choose to use them in another position on the field, other than they were they were used to play.

I’m not sure what House of Pain has to do with any of this.

The only thing I’ve disliked about Waddle is that he’s a body catcher, not a hands catcher, and that’s cost him a few times…and I haven’t seen that change.

Underrated route runner, good person, electric offensive weapon. I hope he stays in Miami, but we’ll see.

No.

It seems that the highest draft picks often carry a surprising number of washouts, considering those high draft positions. I think it's fair to call those particular washouts "fool's gold".

They think they have made their mark and are now "along for the ride" because they have "earned it", as opposed to the cold hard fact that going to the NFL requires a significantly larger step up in training and preparation, than going from High School to College does.

Soooo.... You're advocating for a strategy of looking for HOP players in the early rounds of the draft to build the roster?

Good luck with that!

Sooooo....... Now your suggesting that GMs don't adhere to your common sense proposals?

Honestly, Ray, don't you think it's more likely that misses are just the way things shake out even in the best case scenarios?

As I alluded to before, there is historical data to use in forming a theory. It shows a marked decline in good players by round. This has been consistent throughout the era of the 7 round draft. This fact would seem to belie your implication that it is likely you can find good players in late rounds if one simply does more due diligence.

There are surely organizations that are better at evaluating than others, but none are 100% in rd1, let alone on day 3 picks.

Isn't it possible that there's no foolproof way to determine who will be great, and who will not make the grade?

I'm not trying to talk you out of your beliefs. Just saying the evidence points to something different.

Sooooo....... Now your suggesting that GMs don't adhere to your common sense proposals?

Honestly, Ray, don't you think it's more likely that misses are just the way things shake out even in the best case scenarios?

As I alluded to before, there is historical data to use in forming a theory. It shows a marked decline in good players by round. This has been consistent throughout the era of the 7 round draft. This fact would seem to belie your implication that it is likely you can find good players in late rounds if one simply does more due diligence.

There are surely organizations that are better at evaluating than others, but none are 100% in rd1, let alone on day 3 picks.

Isn't it possible that there's no foolproof way to determine who will be great, and who will not make the grade?

I'm not trying to talk you out of your beliefs. Just saying the evidence points to something different.
Yes.

But; and this is a "big but"!

There have always been a lot of busts from 1st round players and these "busts" tend to occur more often in games, because these were highly drafted players who were expected to play sooner, rather than later. They are typically kept on the field for more games because they are a bigger investment, and many teams are relying on them to produce much more, much sooner than lower draft picks.

I recall about 10 years ago, or more, there was a highly drafted QB who was having problems. His father was a High School or College level coach, and he kept "butting" into the conflict between his son and the NFL teams HC, I think this QB is still in the NFL as a backup QB to backup QB's.

I'm almost willing to bet you are aware of who this QB is, but I have forgotten his name.

It is this kind of situation that seems to reoccur every year to some extent and is particularly noticeable at the QB position due to its higher visibility than players who don't handle the ball.

What I conclude from this repetitive problem with high draft picks is the following:

1) Study every draft pick's personality to the point you can reasonably determine if they are likely to be a Primadonna, or not. Avoid Primadonna's.

2) Look for personal integrity of every draft selection you make. This personality trait, above all others, is a good indicator that you will get the best this player has to offer.

3) Look at how well a player gets along with his teammates. This will help to reduce "personality" clashes in the locker room.

4) Avoid the "know-it-all" players because:
a) They probably don't "know it all" and are likely to resist making improvements in their game that coaching staff wants to see and
b) Will probably have some trouble getting along with their teammates.

5) Draft players who demonstrate that they recognize that they have some short comings identified that they will need to correct as part of the big changes they will be facing, in order to be ready to play at the required level that playing in the NFL demands.

In summary, I'm saying don't look for a lot of "HOF" players in the early rounds. Focus on improving the skill sets at those positions the team needs the most help in; yet be aware of quality players whose acquisition will improve the team overall the most.

Never forget that this is a team game, not a spotlight for "hot shots" - who so often end up as a "flash in the pan". - LOL

Since the rule change back in 2004, after 47 games played between all WRs drafted in that span, Waddle is...

10th in receptions, 13th in yards and 18th in yards per target(>150 targets). Out of 321 WRs who got to play in at least 47 games in the last 20 years.

If you don't re-sign Waddle... You have to re-evaluate your criteria...

Good perspective 🥂

When Hill was out vs the NYJ, Waddle stepped in as the #1 and played an elite game vs one of the best QB duos in the NFL. Unfortunately for Waddle, he and Hill have overlapping strengths and weaknesses, and Hill is overall better and more established.

If Miami is able to fill out the offense in a way that complements Hill, Waddle, and Achane, defenses would be in a bind. Right now, the top D's only respect/fear Miami's speed. Fielding players like Smythe and Ingold definitely makes it easier. Tbc I like both. They just are what they are.

In this class, I see three TE's and few WR's who would really complement Hill, Waddle, and Achane, and only OL or a trade down would move me off WR/TE at 21 and 55. If Miami were to trade down, it opens things up for DT. Said it elsewhere, but Jenkins reminds me of Wilkins, and Hall Jr reminds me of Madubuike.

Offense is more urgent, though, and the talent is there to fill in the cracks.

As for Waddle, he's one of the most dynamic WR's in the league. You keep that 100/100 times.

Good perspective 🥂

When Hill was out vs the NYJ, Waddle stepped in as the #1 and played an elite game vs one of the best QB duos in the NFL. Unfortunately for Waddle, he and Hill have overlapping strengths and weaknesses, and Hill is overall better and more established.

If Miami is able to fill out the offense in a way that complements Hill, Waddle, and Achane, defenses would be in a bind. Right now, the top D's only respect/fear Miami's speed. Fielding players like Smythe and Ingold definitely makes it easier. Tbc I like both. They just are what they are.

In this class, I see three TE's and few WR's who would really complement Hill, Waddle, and Achane, and only OL or a trade down would move me off WR/TE at 21 and 55. If Miami were to trade down, it opens things up for DT. Said it elsewhere, but Jenkins reminds me of Wilkins, and Hall Jr reminds me of Madubuike.

Offense is more urgent, though, and the talent is there to fill in the cracks.

As for Waddle, he's one of the most dynamic WR's in the league. You keep that 100/100 times.
So glad you threw the anchor out there on this thread @j-off-her-doll , not sure how anybody can remotely think we're letting Waddle walk. Utter nonsense, unfortunately the status quo around here lately

Back
Top Bottom