Will We Regret It? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Regret It?

They might think this takes us out of the franchise QB search in 2020.

It's a valid concern, and I respect that position.

However, I feel we are all in on Fromm, Herbert, Tua, or whoever emerges as the top QB prospect next year if Rosen doesn't look like a potential franchise QB this season.

Exactly, that is how you find your franchise QB, you go very aggressive in finding that QB.

You can see what you have in Rosen this year, and if he does not start all season, he failed, because I am very sure they will give him ever chance in the world to beat out Fitzpatrick, if he does but Miami still looks Mediocre or bad, Miami is in the market for a QB in 2020, but if he takes them to the playoffs, Miami will have a lot of draft picks next year to complete the rebuilding process of the team, with the possibility of taking a QB in 2021 if Rosen fails in 2020.

Some people seem to think next year's Qb class are all guaranteed franchise Qb's that will win it for the team. They are no more likely to succeed than any Qb taken in previous drafts. If Rosen is smart enough to learn th game book and follows directions he has as a good chance to succeed. The Patriots win because everyone knows what they are supposed to do, not because they are franchise players at all positions. "Know Your Job" is what they live by. Run the right routes, make the right block, etc. That's how they win as a "team". It's like a machine. If every component works correctly the machine will get the job done.
Not to mention, the three names we keep hearing (Tua, Herbert, Fromm) may not even be the top three prospects at this time next year.

There are injuries, players emerge. Where was Kyler Murray rated 12 months ago today? He just went #1 overall.

It's very rare for a team to give up on a quarterback, a player they moved up for the year before, after just one season.

I don't know how it will play out, but Rosen was very good at UCLA. I actually thought he was better than Darnold coming out. With Darnold, I questioned his decision making with all his turnovers. After year one, Darnold looks a lot better especially with the way he played down the stretch (6 td's, 1 int. in last four games), but that's another subject.

It won't be easy for Rosen in Miami. The talent level on offense is currently very poor for the Dolphins, maybe about on par with what he had in Arizona. To that point, I don't know if the front office/coaching staff will know if he's the answer or not heading into the 2020 draft.

I was hoping for the Center the Saints picked.

Same ole $hit.

I would have picked McCoy if he had remained at 48. Not many centers have athletic ability like that. Terron Armstead was my favorite value lineman in that draft several years ago. I remember this board sweating out one spot after another only for New Orleans to grab him one spot before we picked. It hurt then and never stopped hurting. As soon as they took McCoy tonight I was thinking of the Armstead situation. The Saints have good feel for linemen in that range.

Still, I don't see how anyone can complain about the Rosen deal, especially when we somehow got a bonus second next year. The Saints are in win-now mode with Brees approaching 40 so they aren't shy of giving up high picks, like the Davenport trade last year and now with us.

When I know I've made a great bet I don't care how it turns out. The Dolphins have spent too many years doing the wrong thing. Tannehill was hardly the first example. We drafted a running back with the second pick in the draft. That running back redshirted in college and remained 5 years. Just like Tannehill, Ronnie Brown's resume was telling you what he was. Great running backs don't redshirt and remain 5 years. They star as freshman and leave after 3 years.

Josh Rosen turned 22 a couple of months ago. Ronnie Brown and Ryan Tannehill turned 24 as rookies.

Time will tell. But right now Im ecstatic and fully supporting our new QB.

Kind of refreshing to say that...."OUR NEW QB"!!!!

Even if we do regret it the Fins did a good job at minimizing risk. By trading down they essentially bought themselves a year to evaluate him in house. If he rocks and Caldwell coaches him up, then awesome. If he sucks, then we draft a QB in 2020 and have a cheap backup on the roster.

The more I evaluate it the more I see it as a prudent move with decent upside.

This draft is right on point, 12 picks next season, if they stink enough they can get whatever QB that is available, but Rosen is no slouch he just need coaching.

I think the only way we regret this move is if the coaching staff is extremely stupid and starts Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Grier must now follow up on this excellent move by immediately cutting Fitzpatrick and leaving the staff with no choice in the matter.

I don't see how doing what you say is smart...

Who is our backup?
What if Rosen isn't ready to start?
What about injuries?...to other teams....any trades available?...

If it's because you want to do everything possible to help the team suck this season then.... good luck with that IMO... these players and coaches are not trying their best to lose

In terms of value, money owed on contract, and gaining an additional 2nd round pick in 2020 not sure how anyone views this as a bad move or one that could be regretted. If Rosen doesn’t’ work they have 2 picks in each round except the first and fifth to find the future under center as well as 120 million in cap space in 2020. Tip of the cap to Grier and Co.

I don't get the outrage. Seemed like more last draft wanted him at 11. Most rookie qb struggle .

We got him for a late 2nd and before that acquired another 2nd in 2020 .

You know if you take away all the posters who seem to already know the future like Rosen, us getting top 3 picks 2020 draft, getting Tau and on and on, and maybe have the ability to actually see a group of professionals showing why they are professionals and not posters on a Fan forum whether they are right in all their ideas or not, We are being SCHOOLED by people who actually know and have a real plan of what they are doing. Reality is, we need to get off our we know everything throne and let their plan playout AND THEN after seeing actual reality of success or failure and not through a crystal ball make a factually informed opinion....

NOBODY knows S*** at this point. Give these guys a minimum season and then see what we actually have and make a call based on things that actually are real and not one personal fantasy of a what the future will be. Recommend yous that can't do that go buy a winning lottery ticket since you know the future..

Rosen at minimum a great shot and could be one of our best gambles ever, or not but insane not to give it a shot... Miss out 2020 QB draft and what live for 2021..come on get real. These guys are doing what they need to do and its always pretty much a crap shot....let it play out enough to not look like a total idiot...Hey you also could be right, but we just don't know NOW....

There’s too much vacuum analysis being applied to this Rosen trade. Which isn’t fair as the trade would never have been executed if it weren’t for our nett future situation.

If you assume we will receive 3rd and 5th round compensatory picks, since last year we’ve acquired:

A 2nd
A 3rd
A 4th
A 6th
A 7th
A high ceiling (albeit with very low floor admittedly) sophomore QB.

We’re in a wonderful position to draft a QB next year. I’m not sure what more Chris Grier can have done. He’s checking every box, being aggressive whilst acquiring future assets. If he proves as controlled and adept at expending those assets as he’s been at acquiring them, we may just break out of this horrendous decade long rut.

They paid backup value, worst case scenario is he's just backup material and you paid a fair price for him... So yeah, I dont see how you end up regretting this...

They paid backup value, worst case scenario is he's just backup material and you paid a fair price for him... So yeah, I dont see how you end up regretting this...

The absolute worst case is that he shows just enough to convince Flores and co. to give him another year and this team heads down the Tannehill path again. Everyone has the two buckets which they assume he will fall into.....either potential franchise QB or failure. If he fails you draft another QB and if he shows that hes deserving of the franchise moniker they build around him.

Odds are hes going to fall somewhere between the two extremes and next offseason the team finds itself in the same situation the Cardinals went through. They've spent far less draft capital and it will be easier to move on from him but its never a straightforward decision to walk away after investing a pick and a season in a QB.

I do think they made the right move, assuming the coaching staff is on board. This is the most talented QB in Miami since Marino by a pretty big margin. Hopefully they can make something of it.

Back
Top Bottom