Will We Regret It? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Regret It?

The absolute worst case is that he shows just enough to convince Flores and co. to give him another year and this team heads down the Tannehill path again. Everyone has the two buckets which they assume he will fall into.....either potential franchise QB or failure. If he fails you draft another QB and if he shows that hes deserving of the franchise moniker they build around him.

Odds are hes going to fall somewhere between the two extremes and next offseason the team finds itself in the same situation the Cardinals went through. They've spent far less draft capital and it will be easier to move on from him but its never a straightforward decision to walk away after investing a pick and a season in a QB.

I do think they made the right move, assuming the coaching staff is on board. This is the most talented QB in Miami since Marino by a pretty big margin. Hopefully they can make something of it.
Thats the thing, if Rosen is merely in between, the Fins will pick in the top 5 most likely, it wont be a hard decision at all. The only way for him to solidify his position on the team is playing at an elite level, anything less will keep the Fins in position to had a top 10 rookie QB without having to trade up.

What they did yesterday is downright incredible and something I've never seen this front office manage before.

We are in a win-win situation.

We either have a first round QB come to Miami, and boom with the change of scenery, becoming the franchise QB we have long awaited.

Or he busts, and we get a top 5 pick to have a chance at a even better QB prospect.

Is this what having a competent front office feels like?

Because I like it. Very much so.

This move sets us up nice for Trevor Lawrence. IMO Lawrence will finish his college and not come out early. So next year we build offense for Rosen. If he is mediocre with 3 season under the belt we go hard on getting Trevor in a Dolphins uniform. I dont care if it costs us next years number 1 in 2023 draft. Just get him to Miami.

I was hoping they'd get Lock

once he was off the board I was all in on Rosen especially with the trade down and the extra 2020 2nd round pick

They might think this takes us out of the franchise QB search in 2020.

It's a valid concern, and I respect that position.

However, I feel we are all in on Fromm, Herbert, Tua, or whoever emerges as the top QB prospect next year if Rosen doesn't look like a potential franchise QB this season.
Or we could be riding out Rosen on the cheap for 2 years to see what he's got, continuing to roll picks forward and targeting Lawrence in 2021...

I don't think they were looking for a QB but everybody knew they need one. Ur not going find QB not looking for one. So I gave them credit for it. Waiting on next yr is no guarantee either. Fitz is not answer either.

This move sets us up nice for Trevor Lawrence. IMO Lawrence will finish his college and not come out early. So next year we build offense for Rosen. If he is mediocre with 3 season under the belt we go hard on getting Trevor in a Dolphins uniform. I dont care if it costs us next years number 1 in 2023 draft. Just get him to Miami.
Consider me on board the Trevor train!

This draft is right on point, 12 picks next season, if they stink enough they can get whatever QB that is available, but Rosen is no slouch he just need coaching.

12 picks next season, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5 ?.... 6's...wow
unbelievable ....
So refreshing to feel at this early stage what its like to have people in charge that actually know a hell of a lot more than US... Another level of football insight beyond our years of conditioning in the world of Football 101

Rosen with real OL ( in the making)
Real RB threats and solid WR core...

Maybe not the weight of the franchise resting only on his shoulders...
Oh ya and Caldwell as QB coach doesn't hurt either...

Huge amount of work to be done but its so friggin refreshing to be off the hamster wheel and another year of Ground Hog day.. however it turns out ....

and truthfully I didn't expect things moving this quick... (what just months in)

Last edited:
This draft is right on point, 12 picks next season, if they stink enough they can get whatever QB that is available, but Rosen is no slouch he just need coaching.

After the New Orleans trade, it was a no brainer for us. Worst case scenario we have a future backup QB really cheap that a top draft pick will have to compete with.

RT never competed against anyone for his job. I never thought it would’ve mattered to him if he did as he likely would’ve beaten any possible competition other than Kaepernick. I think it matters to the organic process of team creation though. Trust and respect are still things that matter in team building.

If Kyler Murray decided to play baseball, Arizona isn’t giving up Rosen for less than the 10th pick in the draft. We are a winner of circumstance. I like Josh Rosen but I would’ve taken Murray over him if given the chance too.

Arizona screwed the pooch by not telling Rosen from the beginning that they were gonna take Murray to compete with him but that he will go into the season as the starter.

They were afraid of being honest for god knows what reason, as if they had the No.2 pick and had to sweat out someone else’s decision first.

The GM looks really stupid here. Could’ve just told Rosen the new coach loves Murray but I think you can beat him out. Rosen puts out a statement saying he welcomes the challenge, GM pins the fate of Murray on Kingsbury and worst case scenario(for them) they get 48 and a conditional 3rd in 2020.

Instead our fans are upset we gave up the 62nd pick for a top 10 QB talent that we know Miami liked last year (and probably New England too). I doubt this trade happens if at any point during last years draft process Belichek told Flores he didn’t like Rosen. Flores signed off on this knowing Belichek thought highly of Rosen already.

If the Dolphins let Fitz play. Have Rosen back him up all year and learn the system.. next year we can draft a qb.. and have him Sit behind Rosen.. who if he plays good could fetch a first round pick. Or we could trade the top 1 or 2 picks in the draft to a Qb needy team for a boat load of picks. If Rosen doesnt work out we lost a Center.. who wouldn't gain us any wins anyways..

After the New Orleans trade, it was a no brainer for us. Worst case scenario we have a future backup QB really cheap that a top draft pick will have to compete with.

RT never competed against anyone for his job. I never thought it would’ve mattered to him if he did as he likely would’ve beaten any possible competition other than Kaepernick. I think it matters to the organic process of team creation though. Trust and respect are still things that matter in team building.

If Kyler Murray decided to play baseball, Arizona isn’t giving up Rosen for less than the 10th pick in the draft. We are a winner of circumstance. I like Josh Rosen but I would’ve taken Murray over him if given the chance too.

Arizona screwed the pooch by not telling Rosen from the beginning that they were gonna take Murray to compete with him but that he will go into the season as the starter.

They were afraid of being honest for god knows what reason, as if they had the No.2 pick and had to sweat out someone else’s decision first.

The GM looks really stupid here. Could’ve just told Rosen the new coach loves Murray but I think you can beat him out. Rosen puts out a statement saying he welcomes the challenge, GM pins the fate of Murray on Kingsbury and worst case scenario(for them) they get 48 and a conditional 3rd in 2020.

Instead our fans are upset we gave up the 62nd pick for a top 10 QB talent that we know Miami liked last year (and probably New England too). I doubt this trade happens if at any point during last years draft process Belichek told Flores he didn’t like Rosen. Flores signed off on this knowing Belichek thought highly of Rosen already.

A couple of quick observations from your post:

A) Just because the Cardinals look stupid on this one doesn’t mean the Dolphins look brilliant.
B) Stop confusing a player’s previous draft position with their current value. Rosen May have been a top 10 talent entering last year’s draft, but he was a very bottom tier starter. At this point, he is nothing more than a bottom tier QB worse than the previous starter we released, for whom we actually gave up picks based on potential. He will be nothing else until proven otherwise.
C) The BB angle on this is just pure speculation and frankly, should be completely irrelevant to Rosen’s relative worth.

12 picks next season, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5 ?.... 6's...wow
unbelievable ....
So refreshing to feel at this early stage what its like to have people in charge that actually know a hell of a lot more than US... Another level of football insight beyond our years of conditioning in the world of Football 101

Rosen with real OL ( in the making)
Real RB threats and solid WR core...

Maybe not the weight of the franchise resting only on his shoulders...
Oh ya and Caldwell as QB coach doesn't hurt either...

Huge amount of work to be done but its so friggin refreshing to be off the hamster wheel and another year of Ground Hog day.. however it turns out ....

and truthfully I didn't expect things moving this quick... (what just months in)
Be sure that Reggie McKenzie has a hand in all of this.

What they did yesterday is downright incredible and something I've never seen this front office manage before.

We are in a win-win situation.

To be fair, the front office didn't create this situation. Arizona created this situation by being stupid.

Miami in a situation where taking a reduced asset gamble on a talented rookie deal quarterback has no real downside, and Arizona in a situation where they desperately need to move a talented rookie deal quarterback. But Arizona didn't field calls until after the rest of the trading market had moved on and made other moves. Miami also in the extremely unique position of having already waved the white flag on its upcoming season before the draft even started.

I give the front office credit for not looking the gift horse in the mouth, and I strongly endorse the trade for Rosen, but let's not pretend this was a masterstroke by the Dolphins' braintrust. They were put in a situation where there was a no-brainer strategic move to be made, that everyone in the entire world was pointing out 24/7 in every media outlet, and they said "Huh, well, let's do it."

Back
Top Bottom