With The 20th Pick The Phins Take.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With The 20th Pick The Phins Take....

Who would you take with the 20th Pick?

• Rashaun Woods ~ WR

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Michael Clayton ~ WR

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • DJ Williams ~ LB

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • DeAngelo Hall ~ CB/KR/PR

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Vernon Carey ~ G/T

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Lee Evans ~ WR

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Michael Jenkins ~ WR

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Michael Boulware ~ LB

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Philip Rivers ~ QB

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Chris Gamble ~ CB

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
There will be alot of QB's playing for the vet minimum next year.

Brunell and Griese are just 2 of them.

There is no market for them, ESPECIALLY if Garcia and Warner get the boot.

Originally posted by Jaj
It entirely depends on if we have two 1st rounders.

Look if we have one this is settled. Meuller if he is our GM does not take QBs round 1(atleast not alone). He will go OL or WR. If we have two it will in all likeliness if we had two picks he will take a QB with one and a WR/OL with the others.

Now if you are asking what I would want if there were only one first rounder and it was me as the GM? Rashaun Woods for me.

I still believe that we will have two first rounders. Rivers+Woods for me.
Jai your right on with this one!!!!!!

Originally posted by MDolphins2003
Who do you think the Phins will take with the 20th pick?

Who would you like for the Phins to take with the 20th pick?

No trade ups or downs....Just the 20th pick.

I would cry you all a "River" if he ain't picked !! :lol:

Order of prefence
Phillip Rivers
Rashaun Woods
Michael Clayton

As much as I and countless other Fin fans want a QB with the 1st pick, I just don't see it happening. Why would Wanny draft a QB with the first pick knowing that he probably won't contribute until after Dave's contract is up? Dave wants to win now the GM brought in will have to think along those lines. We all know that Wanny will have input on who is brought in and he will be dead set against a GM who is more concerned with the team down the road.
I am one of those big Philip Rivers supporters but I think it'll be a WR like R.Woods or L.Evans or a OL like V. Carey.

"Why would Wanny draft a QB with the first pick knowing that he probably won't contribute until after Dave's contract is up?"

Because the new GM will be doing the picking not Wanny, he was stripped of his Personnell powers, after the jets game.

Originally posted by JAGFISH
"Why would Wanny draft a QB with the first pick knowing that he probably won't contribute until after Dave's contract is up?"

Because the new GM will be doing the picking not Wanny, he was stripped of his Personnell powers, after the jets game.

You think there no pressure on the new GM to win now?Now the fault is on his shoulders if he doesn't acquire the players needed to fill the voids(OL,WR).He knows he needs to bring in FA QB anyways to upgrade QB position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a GM's job is pick the best guy, we need a veteran QB, but nothing creates a buzz like a Young QB, Pennington, Mcnair, Culpepper, Brady all rode the bench for a few years. They have to be more aware of the future than a coach who has a win now mentality. GM's usually get a few years to develop players. They have to fill voids for now like OL and WR. I can't ever see Wanny drafting a QB in round 1. He would rather pick a player who is going to se the field and help him keep his job. Randy Muller said it himself it's GM's job to look down the road further than a coach.

Brady was on the bench for one year and wasn't even the backup his rookie year.

He came on in his second year and took them to the Super Bowl. Am I the only one who puts a ton of stock into a winner at QB who has the ability to also come up big with some plays when his team needs it and not these overly athletic guys who can throw it through a wall but it still doesn't translate to alot of wins for their teams.

Brady was stuck behind the exact same kind of guy in Henson.

Guys you should not be too worried about QB. Meuller is fantastic at finding QBs and he finds them cheap. He won't have to use a first rounder.

Look O-Gun in his first year from another team will get about 4m.

Getting the first rounder for him gets us Vernon Carey and with that money he can probably get Chad Clifton. Those two are both great players.

LT- Smith
LG- Carey
C- McKinney
RG- Either Nails re-signed for cheap or one of the young ones
RT- Clifton

If a T is injured Carey can also move there. So we also have good depth.

Bledsoe is a statue. if he had a great o-line he'd look terrific, but the defense knows where he's going to be every snap and whips the o-line. Kinda like Dan in his final years with bad O-line. They are sitting ducks. Brady can move in and out of the pocket and is very accurate. The best Qb's can avoid the rush and have adaquate arm strenghth to scare the defense with the deep ball and the accuracy to complete passes to guys who are open . Jay can run around-when healthy-but I think his accuracy is so poor that he gets receivers crushed, under-over throws wide open guys and can't seem to hit long passes.

Alright I say we draft Woods, Clayton, Evans or whoever is open when we get our 1st pick. We NEED a good WR that is fast to take all the pressure off of Chambers. If we have 2 WR threats Ricky will have a much better year next year bcause teams will have to respect the passing game. The only thing they respect in our passing game is Chambers so they often double team him but thats ok cuz he gets open anyways. After we draft a WR or 2 then we need to upgrade the Line so Ricky has some room to run. I say we let fiedler have a couple more years and have our sights set on Mike Vicks brother. :) :)

Originally posted by Phinfan31
Alright I say we draft Woods, Clayton, Evans or whoever is open when we get our 1st pick. We NEED a good WR that is fast to take all the pressure off of Chambers. If we have 2 WR threats Ricky will have a much better year next year bcause teams will have to respect the passing game. The only thing they respect in our passing game is Chambers so they often double team him but thats ok cuz he gets open anyways. After we draft a WR or 2 then we need to upgrade the Line so Ricky has some room to run. I say we let fiedler have a couple more years and have our sights set on Mike Vicks brother. :) :)

Wrong, we have a pass catching FB that's not used, and McMichael. Thompson also had a little bit better going of it towards the end there....i hope we get him back for a lot less, i still see potential.but that's probably wishful thinking.

BUT what happens if we take a WR high in the draft? Who's going to throw to them? Jay? He does not have a great arm, he is consistently off target, and is a non-threat. His non-threat totally negates any passing attack that we can develope.

Do we need to develope a passing game to open up ricky's running? Of course we do! Is a WR the answer to it? No. we have a true #1 receiver, a great TE, and a good catching FB. RIcky showed good hands at the end of the season as well, with 70 rec. yards in one game which totaled his running yards. PLUS we have a running game.

Here's where we sit...we have a #1 QB that's a second stringer in most other teams. His level of play single handedly cripples our passing game. When he has no time, he can scammble. When he doesn't have time he STILL misses throws. And he hangs our receivers out to dry. That is unacceptable.

Until we get a TRUE threat at QB, no one will respect our passing game. I would like to keep Griese if we patch up our line, and get him a lot cheaper as he showed WHEN he had time he made beautiful throws.

That said, we CAN find a second string WR in the FA, or in the draft next year. Either option would nearly ensure that that receier could walk on and play.

however, we could NOT find a QB in teh FA that will be a franchise QB. At the best, we'll have a quick fix for 2-3 years....and again we'll be out of a QB.

IF we draft a WR now, we'd have no one to throw to them now, or for the next 2 years at the soonest. Whereas, if we draft a QB now, we can hope to throw to our allready good WR corps and numerous other offensive threats, and take a WR in the first next year if the situation doesn't fix itself.

draft the wr, sign brunell... he can throw the ball just fine and wed have even more weapons on offense.

Back
Top Bottom