Without Tannehill, We'd be the Browns (In-depth research) | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Without Tannehill, We'd be the Browns (In-depth research)

I think the Browns are a potential dynasty in the making. 5 picks in the first 2 rounds. Dorsey, Wolf & Highsmith running things. I would love to have any of them as gm. On top of that, I love the 3 first round picks from last year as well. Laugh if you want but the browns have a bright future imo.
You would think they will be good any second now with all those recent draft picks they have had. I can't believe they aren't moving forward even a bit already. Strange team.

Adam GaSe (with an S) took the job because he had a franchise QB. He said as much.
Come on man, what do you think the first time head coach would say. All it means is he said the right thing to say.

You would think they will be good any second now with all those recent draft picks they have had. I can't believe they aren't moving forward even a bit already. Strange team.
Teams can come out of nowhere. Look at how Jax stockpiled all those picks the last few years. They have at least 4 picks in the first two rounds. What if the qb they pick turns out to be like Wentz/Goff? They could be loaded potentially.

The hilarious part is that in 2013 Atlanta went 4-12. Why argue that the supporting casts were similar that one season? Seems to shoot the #QBwinz argument down.

And 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016? Why focus on the one year that Julio Jones was hurt? Why try to pretend that Tannehill and Ryan have had anywhere near similar supporting casts? I really don't get the point.

Because that was the 1 year in which Matt Ryan did not have a better supporting cast, one could argue Tannehill had a better team that year as he had a top 10 defense and better ranked OL compared than Ryan. Why would I say anything about any of those other years when he probably did have a better supporting cast? That would just be argumentative. The point is if you start off with the word facts, you should proceed to tell some facts. Like fact when the Dolphins allow 18 points or less we have the 4th highest winning % from 2012-2016. Fact at some point we trailed in 9 of our 10 victories in 2016. The cardinals is the only team we beat that we never trailed. Those 9 wins after trailing are a franchise record I'm pretty sure.

If i said fact Dan Marino thew 40+ TD's from 84-86, i have no qualms with someone correcting me. I'm not part of the QBWinz argument so that makes no difference to me. Do I believe an elite QB guarantees Super Bowl wins? of course not, I don't believe in sweeping statements I’ve seen meh QBs, non-elite defenses, average offensive lines, average defensive lines, average secondaries, average coaches, and average to bad run games all win championships. There are always exceptions to the rule, otherwise top 3 defenses would win out every single year, or having a top 5 rushing game would always guarantee a playoff spot, or Drew Brees would never miss the playoffs. I do believe an elite QB gives you more long term opportunity for success as an elite defense window is usually 4-5 years before you have to retool.

Because that was the 1 year in which Matt Ryan did not have a better supporting cast, one could argue Tannehill had a better team that year as he had a top 10 defense and better ranked OL compared than Ryan. Why would I say anything about any of those other years when he probably did have a better supporting cast? That would just be argumentative.

When someone makes the claim that Atlanta had a better supporting cast over the course of several seasons and you counter with Harry Douglas was essentially the same receiver as Brian Hartline, focusing on the one season that Jones was hurt, you are being argumentative.

I also notice a strong tendency to ignore some facts, like the Dolphins gave up 58 sacks in 2013. You also seem to cherry pick where you get your rankings from. Here is a respected site that ranked the OLs quite differently:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2013

I'd venture a guess that more sites had the Dolphins OL ranked lower.

Because that was the 1 year in which Matt Ryan did not have a better supporting cast, one could argue Tannehill had a better team that year as he had a top 10 defense and better ranked OL compared than Ryan. Why would I say anything about any of those other years when he probably did have a better supporting cast? That would just be argumentative. The point is if you start off with the word facts, you should proceed to tell some facts. Like fact when the Dolphins allow 18 points or less we have the 4th highest winning % from 2012-2016. Fact at some point we trailed in 9 of our 10 victories in 2016. The cardinals is the only team we beat that we never trailed. Those 9 wins after trailing are a franchise record I'm pretty sure.

If i said fact Dan Marino thew 40+ TD's from 84-86, i have no qualms with someone correcting me. I'm not part of the QBWinz argument so that makes no difference to me. Do I believe an elite QB guarantees Super Bowl wins? of course not, I don't believe in sweeping statements I’ve seen meh QBs, non-elite defenses, average offensive lines, average defensive lines, average secondaries, average coaches, and average to bad run games all win championships. There are always exceptions to the rule, otherwise top 3 defenses would win out every single year, or having a top 5 rushing game would always guarantee a playoff spot, or Drew Brees would never miss the playoffs. I do believe an elite QB gives you more long term opportunity for success as an elite defense window is usually 4-5 years before you have to retool.

Can someone please point out an elite qb Miami could have drafted and passed on since Tannehill has been in Miami?

When someone makes the claim that Atlanta had a better supporting cast over the course of several seasons and you counter with Harry Douglas was essentially the same receiver as Brian Hartline, focusing on the one season that Jones was hurt, you are being argumentative.

I also notice a strong tendency to ignore some facts, like the Dolphins gave up 58 sacks in 2013. You also seem to cherry pick where you get your rankings from. Here is a respected site that ranked the OLs quite differently:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2013

I'd venture a guess that more sites had the Dolphins OL ranked lower.

Well you call it argumentative and I call it telling it like it is, for reference see my Marino example. Nope didn't cherry pick any stat i used profootballfocus rankings which is what I always use because thats who I trust. I'm sure you use football outsiders because thats who you trust. I'm sure pff and footballoutsiders both have their flaws, there is no go to; best most accurate website. The only way to truly evaluate with 100% certainty is to watch film otherwise all we have is potentially flawed websites. Maybe where a dolphin OL is ranked and how many sacks they gave up has more to do with than just the OL?

You say I cherry pick and ignore facts but yet have nothing to say about the man who included the 2013 season with Harry Douglas as his primary WR as one of the seasons that Matt Ryan had offensive weapons Ryan would kill for. You say I ignore facts but when he posted stats for the 2014 and 2015 seasons none of the stats he posted even match up to those seasons again nothing to say. Come on man this is no different than when a poster said the run game carried the dolphins in 2016 and I posted stats that proved otherwise. Only difference is that poster is not liked much. Are veteran posters untouchable? Nah thats reserved for MC Hammer.

Another attempt at greatly overstating Ryan Tannehill's impact on wins. He's simply not that caliber of player no matter how you try to slice it. For the number of passing attempts he has, he has pathetically low career touchdown percentage. He's also been terrible on 3rd down in his career. That is the reality.

Well you call it argumentative and I call it telling it like it is, for reference see my Marino example. Nope didn't cherry pick any stat i used profootballfocus rankings which is what I always use because thats who I trust. I'm sure you use football outsiders because thats who you trust. I'm sure pff and footballoutsiders both have their flaws, there is no go to; best most accurate website. The only way to truly evaluate with 100% certainty is to watch film otherwise all we have is potentially flawed websites. Maybe where a dolphin OL is ranked and how many sacks they gave up has more to do with than just the OL?

You say I cherry pick and ignore facts but yet have nothing to say about the man who included the 2013 season with Harry Douglas as his primary WR as one of the seasons that Matt Ryan had offensive weapons Ryan would kill for. You say I ignore facts but when he posted stats for the 2014 and 2015 seasons none of the stats he posted even match up to those seasons again nothing to say. Come on man this is no different than when a poster said the run game carried the dolphins in 2016 and I posted stats that proved otherwise. Only difference is that poster is not liked much. Are veteran posters untouchable? Nah thats reserved for MC Hammer.

Well your response could have been - Atlanta clearly have better weapons in 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016 but in 2013 Julio was hurt and their weapons were pretty similar.

The point is that every time a Tannehill support brings up supporting cast, one or more Tannehaters will chime in claiming it is an excuse. But, when one of their preferred QBs has a down season (in stats or record) they immediately point to issues with the supporting cast.

I have no problem agreeing that Julio going down in 2013 had a huge impact on the Falcons offense. I have no problem attributing the 10 point drop in Ryan's QB rating from 2012 to 2013 to that fact alone. That is one of the issues that the #QBwinz crowd has ignored when I raise it. Why do very good and even elite QBs vary so much in QB rating year to year? The answer is simple. The surrounding context matters, A LOT. Teammates, opponents, schedule, injuries, all matter. Surely there is variation in their own performance as well, but (IMO) external factors play a bigger role.

Another attempt at greatly overstating Ryan Tannehill's impact on wins. He's simply not that caliber of player no matter how you try to slice it. For the number of passing attempts he has, he has pathetically low career touchdown percentage. He's also been terrible on 3rd down in his career. That is the reality.

Well, okay. That settles it then. LOL.

Hard to give the benefit of the doubt to someone that has never won anything on any level. So when we say someone like Brees had on off year becuase of his teammates, you know that to be true becuase he has lead his team to a super bowl victory. When you excuse Tannehill you have to wonder if he has the goods becuase he has accomplished nothing in college and zero has a pro after how many years?

Hard to give the benefit of the doubt to someone that has never won anything on any level. So when we say someone like Brees had on off year becuase of his teammates, you know that to be true becuase he has lead his team to a super bowl victory. When you excuse Tannehill you have to wonder if he has the goods becuase he has accomplished nothing in college and zero has a pro after how many years?

You don't have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just don't try to deny me the right to do so, especially since the teammates have proven to be so poor.

Brees did show his potential greatness during that time with 27 TD - 7 Int season and leading his team to the playoffs in his 3rd season starting.
His passer rating was 3rd best in his 3rd season starting.

Back
Top Bottom