Would you be mad if the Dolphins did this in the draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be mad if the Dolphins did this in the draft?

I want to figure out how we can turn the Steelers pick into Chase Young.

There is a good chance Miami comes out of this season with two top 5 pick...that should do it, if it happens.

There are some I know that are saying Miami should use the 1st round picks on offense (QB, Tackle, WR), but how can you not take a pass-rusher with one of your #1s, preferably a top 10 pick.

First things first.....I'd love to get two new starters for the O-line in free agency. A guard and a Center or a guard and one OT.
Also, would like to get a starting Safety in free agency and maybe a DE. That's only 4 players and with the money we'll have should not be all that hard.

Now the draft.
1-Tua
1-Shenault.....you need to give Tua some weapons and Jedy will be gone.
1-Wirfs. Him along with two free agents plus Deiter gives you a nice start to building a top O-line for our QB.

Next 3 picks I'm looking for a Corner, DE and another safety. We need defense but first get the QB, give him a line and a top WR then work on your defense.

Of course it would all depend on where the Steelers pick lands and what we can sign in the FA market. I have said a number of times I'd rather get proven OL talent through the FA market.

But what I don't want to see happen is a scatter approach where we get a QB, a DE, a WR, a FS. NO, I want the QB and then the OL fixed, and fixed well, before we start thinking about anything else. Next I want the DL fixed and fixed well. Then we can talk skill players. If a special skill player is there, and we can draft him and still meet our goals of fixing OL and DL in the first two years, then I'm down with that.

I added a CB because I think the value is there and because I think Rowe is costing us games. I added a RB because he could win us games provided we have good OL and a good running attack. Plus it would help a rookie QB a lot. I want a beast mode running attack and a vertical passing attack possibility. I don't want to be forced to pass on 3rd and short and don't want to have to dink and dunk my way down the field.

I want to run for three first downs in a row, force the defense to substitute players, then go no huddle and eat them up with DVP, Preston, Wilson, Grant, and Gesicki. Sure we need a #1 WR but we have enough talent to hurt you provided the OL gives the QB enough time in a clean pocket and the D has to respect the run game.

I'll worry about the pass rush next year. Not like I don't want those 2021 picks to be late ones! And frankly I'm more worried about stopping the run than getting sacks.

I'll get my skill players in year three once I build my foundation.

Face it, we haven't been able to run the ball, stop the run, nor pass protect in a LONG time. If you can't do those things I don't care how good our WR, DE, or FS is because we aren't going to win nothing. It's like $1000 rims on your 1982 Yugo.....who ya think your kidding with all that flash.

Makes sense. Have to fix that offensive line big time, or it really doesn't matter who you have at quarterback.

This looks like a strong receiver draft as well and Miami needs help there as well. How about pairing Tua with Riggs? Use the other first rounder on an offensive lineman.

Of course it would all depend on where the Steelers pick lands and what we can sign in the FA market. I have said a number of times I'd rather get proven OL talent through the FA market.

But what I don't want to see happen is a scatter approach where we get a QB, a DE, a WR, a FS. NO, I want the QB and then the OL fixed, and fixed well, before we start thinking about anything else. Next I want the DL fixed and fixed well. Then we can talk skill players. If a special skill player is there, and we can draft him and still meet our goals of fixing OL and DL in the first two years, then I'm down with that.

I added a CB because I think the value is there and because I think Rowe is costing us games. I added a RB because he could win us games provided we have good OL and a good running attack. Plus it would help a rookie QB a lot. I want a beast mode running attack and a vertical passing attack possibility. I don't want to be forced to pass on 3rd and short and don't want to have to dink and dunk my way down the field.

I want to run for three first downs in a row, force the defense to substitute players, then go no huddle and eat them up with DVP, Preston, Wilson, Grant, and Gesicki. Sure we need a #1 WR but we have enough talent to hurt you provided the OL gives the QB enough time in a clean pocket and the D has to respect the run game.

I'll worry about the pass rush next year. Not like I don't want those 2021 picks to be late ones! And frankly I'm more worried about stopping the run than getting sacks.

Face it, we haven't been able to run the ball, stop the run, nor pass protect in a LONG time. If you can't do those things I don't care how good our WR, DE, or FS is because we aren't going to win nothing. It's like $1000 rims on your 1982 Yugo.....who ya think your kidding with all that flash.
Yep. Priority this year has to be offense.

Makes sense. Have to fix that offensive line big time, or it really doesn't matter who you have at quarterback.

This looks like a strong receiver draft as well and Miami needs help there as well. How about pairing Tua with Riggs? Use the other first rounder on an offensive lineman.
You can get a good receiver in the third round Steelers do it all the time.

I agree that it's best to have a focused plan, and I also agree that OL has to be the top priority, but two things:

1. Making it the top priority means having a plan in place to make the unit solid. It doesn't necessarily mean spending all your top resources on it.

2. Why DL over WR? One of the two will directly benefit Tua, and it's not DL. Miami has one of the worst skill groups in the league, and you don't want your #1 overall pick throwing to a bunch of bums.

Why DL over WR?

Everyone has their idea of how best to go about a rebuild. I just happen to feel it is best to get the QB and OL set the first year and add glue guys like kicker/punter/FB/blocking TE/kick returners in the later rounds. Then go get DL set in year two (and with the number of picks we have we should be able to add some LB'ers or safetys too). Good OT's and DE's cost a fortune in FA, if they are even available. We just saw what Tunsil cost and he wasn't what I'd call elite. Ditto on James and Olivier Vernon. Much better chance to get a WR like TO/AB/Moss/Marshall/Gordon as a disgruntled/problem diva on the cheap (but you need a strong locker room before you consider such cancers).

Right now I'd say we are "serviceable" at WR but certainly aren't at OL. If guys like Harris, Charlton, Jenkins, and Nkemdiche can amount to anything I'd also say we are much better at DL than OL. Not like our OL is stacked with former first round picks.

IMHO a good OL along with a solid 3 down RB (considering our overall roster at the moment) would help our new QB more than a #1 WR. Just my opinion. I also think DVP and Williams have "potential" to develop into a #1 WR and I can't say that about anyone on the OL. In fact, Boehm is about the only OL guy I have any hope for as a starter down the road. Davis should be nothing more than depth on a decent OL IMHO and I don't think Dieter showed much in college other than ability as a pulling guard.

Again, just my opinions. And BTW, I do RESPECT yours

IMHO our offensive line has been something that has really held the team back. So how would you feel if they went all in on the OL in the 2020 draft? Don't worry about the names I mention, just the general concept.

1) Tau (QB)
20) Tristan Wirfs/Calvin Throckmorton (RT) Versatility to play multiple positions. Had to guess on where Texans and Steelers picks will fall.
21) Tyler Biadasz (OC) Don't normally like to pick a center so high but this guy is good.
33) Bryce Hall (CB) Flores threatens suicide if he has to start Rowe opposite X.
61) Ben Bredeson/Alex Leatherwood (OG) We need at least one OG, maybe two as I'm not sold on Dieter.
65) D'Andre Swift (RB) I value a stud RB. Other than center and QB he could touch the ball more than any other offensive player. Should help a young QB a lot. Drake is gone and Ballage isn't the answer. We need a solid 3 down back who can run, catch, and pick up the blitz. Maybe this guy isn't the right guy but someone should be there as it is a good year for RB's

I said 1a-Tua, 1b-Andrew Thomas/Wirfs, 1c- Biadasz/Creed Humphrey in another thread. Throckmorton is a fringe day two prospect. Swift is the top RB & should be a first rounder, early second at worst. Top of the second round I'm looking for a pass rusher, corner, or receiver. If we get two olineman in the first I wouldn't take another on day two.

I love the idea of Tua and then surrounding by OL, but if Jeudy is available when Miami picks a second time the OL can wait until the 3rd pick.

Why DL over WR?

Everyone has their idea of how best to go about a rebuild. I just happen to feel it is best to get the QB and OL set the first year and add glue guys like kicker/punter/FB/blocking TE/kick returners in the later rounds. Then go get DL set in year two (and with the number of picks we have we should be able to add some LB'ers or safetys too). Good OT's and DE's cost a fortune in FA, if they are even available. We just saw what Tunsil cost and he wasn't what I'd call elite. Ditto on James and Olivier Vernon. Much better chance to get a WR like TO/AB/Moss/Marshall/Gordon as a disgruntled/problem diva on the cheap (but you need a strong locker room before you consider such cancers).

Right now I'd say we are "serviceable" at WR but certainly aren't at OL. If guys like Harris, Charlton, Jenkins, and Nkemdiche can amount to anything I'd also say we are much better at DL than OL. Not like our OL is stacked with former first round picks.

IMHO a good OL along with a solid 3 down RB (considering our overall roster at the moment) would help our new QB more than a #1 WR. Just my opinion. I also think DVP and Williams have "potential" to develop into a #1 WR and I can't say that about anyone on the OL. In fact, Boehm is about the only OL guy I have any hope for as a starter down the road. Davis should be nothing more than depth on a decent OL IMHO and I don't think Dieter showed much in college other than ability as a pulling guard.

Again, just my opinions. And BTW, I do RESPECT yours

Appreciate it, and likewise. If Miami grabbed Tua and fixed the OL, it'd definitely be a huge step in the right direction, and I agree that those two are the must haves this offseason.

Because this keeps coming up I'll ask the following; what good does Jeudy do if the QB doesn't have the time in a clean pocket to find him and throw him the ball?

What is so wrong with Parker, Williams, Wilson, Grant, Hurns, Ballage, Drake, Gaskin, Laird, Walton, Gesicki, O'Leary, and Smythe that a QB must have another target to complete a pass?

Don't get me wrong, I know the 2020 draft is loaded at WR and Jeudy and Higgs would make a world of sense if we draft Tua.....but still the cupboard isn't bare compared to OL/DL talent.

Get a great QB, surround him with a good OL, give him a good RB, call a creative game plan, and the current pass catchers won't be the major limiting factor on this team. At that point it will be DE's, CB #2, FS, and LB'er. Move McCain back to nickel, draft a stud CB #2, add a FS, and our secondary is legit.

Then it will be time for some elite DE's, LB'ers, and WR's. Year three could look real good as Brady should be done by then.

Keep the faith brothers. We have done this halfway stuff for the last 20 years. Time to blow it up and really do a rebuild the right way.

And yes, I do admit feeling a little queasy with Grier, given the track record, but everyone has surrounded themselves with quality assistance's.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t Mind adding both the Iowa Tackles and flip the left to right.

Because this keeps coming up I'll ask the following; what good does Jeudy do if the QB doesn't have the time in a clean pocket to find him and throw him the ball?

What is so wrong with Parker, Williams, Wilson, Grant, Hurns, Ballage, Drake, Gaskin, Laird, Walton, Gesicki, O'Leary, and Smythe that a QB must have another target to complete a pass?

Don't get me wrong, I know the 2020 draft is loaded at WR and Jeudy and Higgs would make a world of sense if we draft Tua.....but still the cupboard isn't bare compared to OL/DL talent.

Get a great QB, surround him with a good OL, give him a good RB, call a creative game plan, and the current pass catchers won't be the major limiting factor on this team. At that point it will be DE's, CB #2, FS, and LB'er. Move McCain back to nickel, draft a stud CB #2, add a FS, and our secondary is legit.

Then it will be time for some elite DE's, LB'ers, and WR's. Year three could look real good as Brady should be done by then.

Keep the faith brothers. We have done this halfway stuff for the last 20 years. Time to blow it up and really do a rebuild the right way.

And yes, I do admit feeling a little queasy with Grier, given the track record, but everyone has surrounded themselves with quality assistance's.

One hand washes the other. WR's who can uncover quickly help the OL (and the QB) just as the OL helps give WR's more time to get open. After QB, the OL is the most important unit in the game; however, there are two significant caveats. Once an OL is good, it's good enough. The difference between good and great doesn't mean much. The difference between bad and good means the world. So, there's a balance to strike. The other major caveat is that the weakest member of the OL is more significant than the strongest, and a high-end WR will be much, much more valuable than any one OL. In terms of what this means for how to spend your picks, it's still debatable, as 1st RD OL hit at a much higher rate than 1st RD WR's, and you need 5 quality OL vs 3 (or so) quality WR's. Personally, if I'm absolutely sold on a WR, and I have the resources Miami will in 2020 and 2021, I would not pass on the WR for any OL.

Can you name a skill group that Miami is clearly better than? I can't. In a league where you need to score points to win, this group is plain not good enough. With so many clear upgrades available in 2020, why would you settle for a bottom-tier skill group - especially with two young QB's in the mix)?

The current group of pass catchers would be a limiting factor on any team. I don't care if Brady, Brees, Mahomes, Watson, Wilson are the QB. This group isn't getting it done. Also, RB doesn't move the needle - except for guys like Kamara.

Miami won't be competing in 2020, so you shouldn't worry about filling all the holes. You should be concerned with the trajectory of the team, and that trajectory will rise or fall (not that it can get lower) with the QB and his support system (OC, OL, WR/TE). Defensive performance is not sticky. It varies year by year, but Offensive performance is sticky, and it will determine whether or not you're competing every year.

If I'm Miami, until I feel I've given my QB everything he needs to thrive, I only consider spending premium assets on defenders who are just too good to pass up. E. Oliver and Q. Williams were those guys (for me) in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom